Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Would you like to delete this to free up space?

Would you like to delete this to free up space?
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 6, 2007, 07:27 AM

People who have viewed videos on their iPhones know that when you get to the end of a video, it will ask you if you want to delete the video to save space. Nice feature, right? But in reality, it's totally unnecessary. Without connecting the iPhone to iTunes, the only thing that you can do that can use up space is take photos. Is this feature intended to allow you to be able to clear off videos so that you can take more photos? Possibly. But I can't help but wonder if there are going to be things in the future that will require space on the iPhone, such as direct downloads from the iTS, perhaps. Anyone have any ideas about the reason for including this feature?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 07:44 AM

Well, downloading email attachments would also need space. That being said, I think it's a good bet that there will be later features that allow you to download things directly to the iPhone.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
Well, downloading email attachments would also need space. That being said, I think it's a good bet that there will be later features that allow you to download things directly to the iPhone.
Is there a way to save downloaded email attachments to your iPhone? I've yet to find out how so please tell.

I'd like to have a few reference PDFs on my iPhone and I can't figure out how to do get them on there yet other than to email them to myself and then re-look/download them each time I want to view them.

Dave

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 11:16 AM

Just another retarded limitation that will hopefully be remedied soon.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 6, 2007, 12:37 PM

Yes, there is no way to download attachments for viewing outside of the mail program, and there's no way to store PDFs or office documents on the iPhone for viewing unless they are attached to an email. As a workaround, you can email yourself any documents you want to view on the iPhone.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2007, 12:52 PM

The great thing is that there is so much untapped potential for this already awesome device. Gen 2 and 3 will be amazing - and firmware/software updates should make Gen 1 more powerful as well.

I can see it eventually running (not creating) PPT presos and other office tools thereby eliminating the need to carry a laptop...

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 6, 2007, 12:58 PM

I just hope that Apple's attitude toward software upgrades on the iPhone is more like their strategy with the Mac, and not the iPod (where you often have to buy a new device just to get a fairly modest software upgrade).

Forum Links
Forum Rules