Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Where did Growl come from?

Where did Growl come from?
larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2005, 11:54 PM

I really don't remember installing this program. How do I find out when I installed it, & what program needed it? I recently switched from Windows & am just a wee bit paranoid about stuff being on my HD without me knowing... I use some Konfab widgets, could that be it?
as well, I can't find a place where it is installed, ie-applications, utilities etc... I would like to be able to unistall programs if I don't want them (I love the drag & drop mac thing), but can't locate a place it resides. Thanks.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2005, 12:12 AM

In the finder type Apple-F, and search for it.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2005, 12:13 AM

It comes with Adium, but I'm pretty sure that it prompts you for consent to specifically install growl. It's possible other apps bundle growl but I'm not sure. I wouldn't get rid of it though. It's a cool system that lets apps notify you of things in a cool visual way. If you want to remove it, control click on its icon in System Prefs and remove.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2005, 05:14 AM

What waffffffle said, but I'll add that there's a comprehensive list of Growl-compatible apps here.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2005, 07:18 AM

Growl isnt bad, actually its pretty neat. And its Open Source, so it wont be malware.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2005, 09:32 AM

Adium does work with Growl, but it doesn't come with it. You must have installed it yourself.

Growl is pretty much unnecessary. Adium notifies you in the Dock about new messages already.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2005, 09:53 AM

Actually I'm pretty sure Adium does include Growl...

Franz
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 10:07 AM

Adium does bundle Growl, they started that recently I believe with version 0.8... It does ask before installing it though.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2005, 12:07 PM

I added Growl support to one of my apps recently, and it's not at all implausible that Adium comes with a Growl installer. There are two developer frameworks for Growl available: Growl, and Growl With Installer. Most apps I've seen don't include the installer, but I believe Adium was how I first got Growl to begin with.

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2005, 04:41 AM

Growl's pretty nice, it's nice to see adium helping out other open source apps

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2005, 09:12 AM

I think one of the Adium devs also works on Growl. Anyway, it should be listed in the system prefs (in your apple menu). Just turn it off there.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2005, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by crazyjohnson
I think one of the Adium devs also works on Growl. Anyway, it should be listed in the system prefs (in your apple menu). Just turn it off there.
Actually several of the Adium devs work on Growl too.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2005, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Adium does work with Growl, but it doesn't come with it. You must have installed it yourself.

Growl is pretty much unnecessary. Adium notifies you in the Dock about new messages already.

I find it quite necessary as I hate bouncing dock icons

Oh, and like, got everyone to start working on the thing

I think the original poster got it with Adium, but as he/she never responded to the email I sent him with certainty regarding this, I guess we'll never know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules