Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best email program for OS 9?

Best email program for OS 9?
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2005, 05:04 PM

What's the best email program for Mac OS 9?

OreoCookie
Dec 3, 2005, 05:08 PM

I was using Mail Smith back in the days. Very nice app and very stable. I could give you the licence key of mine as a present, if I find it I doubt I'll use it anytime soon.

However, I doubt you will find a mail program with an up-to-date feature set for OS 9. Back then, spam was not what it is today, although Mailsmith's filters were pretty powerful at that time.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2005, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the advice...that'd be great!

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 05:24 PM

I used to like Entourage 2001. I had used them all at one point but I used Outlook Express for about a year before moving over to Entourage, only to move over to Mail.app on OS X since Entourage X wasn't available yet. I never looked back.

In general I remember that most OS 9 mail clients had difficulty with certain types of SMTP authentication. At my school neither of Microsoft's clients would work with their setup once they rolled out authenticated SMTP over SSL, even though both clients support that feature. Only Netscape 4 (and I guess 6, although no one used it) worked with their server. Entourage X had always worked. Mail.app required a very timely point release upgrade that luckily came just a few days before my campus made the switch.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2005, 06:07 PM

I used to use Eudora. It was a bit bare-bones in terms of interface, but worked well enough. The automatic AppleDouble encoding of attachments was nice to avoid losing resource forks, back in the day.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

P
Dec 3, 2005, 07:59 PM

The last version of Outlook Express was pretty good, but the best was probably Claris Emailer 2.0v3. That was in 98 or something though - I don't think it even had spam filters or other modern features. Eudora was always more feature complete, though I never liked that interface.

bbales
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 11:16 AM

I loved Claris e-mailer. Worked great. I'd even give you my old disks, but I know one is broken. Maybe you could find it on ebay.

larkost
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 07:28 PM

I would recomend an older build of Mozilla, namely WaMCom.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 08:40 PM

As much as I hate Microsoft, Outlook Express isn't bad at all...

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Dec 6, 2005, 10:28 AM

Here's another vote for Eudora. It had, and still has some features, that no other program has ever implemented. One in particular was scheduled mail sending, where you could select in advance what time you wanted a message to be sent.

Since transitioning to OS X, Eudora's interface just doesn't cut it anymore, so I use Mail. But they're rewriting Eudora using Cocoa so, who knows....
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

Forum Links
Forum Rules