Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > MacNN RSS feed problem

MacNN RSS feed problem
tbanucci
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 02:26 AM

I like the look of the new MacNN, but I don't like how the layout is. I prefer to see the headline for each story and then the first 5 lines or so of the story below it.

I can stick with the legacy version, but figured now would be as good as any time to switch over to the RSS feed you have, that way I can see if the news has been updated and how many new stories there are.

I have a problem with the MacNN RSS feed though. I look at my RSS feeds in Safari, and the feed only gives me 1 line of the story below the headline. The article length slider is all the way to the right, meaning I should get more text in my feed. I was wondering how to get more of the story from MacNN in this feed. A page that has done this really well is:

feed://www.engadget.com/rss.xml

Is there something that the MacNN team needs to do to make the RSS feed more like the one on the Engadget site? It would really improve the usability of MacNN.

Thanks from a long time reader (Since 1995)-
Ted

Chris Grande
Senior User
Dec 8, 2005, 02:31 AM

The feed doesn't even render in NewsFire anymore, a quick validation shoes a few errors. Most notably the MIME type is wrong: http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?u....com/macnn.rss

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 02:52 AM

I'm having the Newsfire problem too. Yes, it doesn't validate. MacNN should fix this or I might have to subscribe to some other web site to get my Mac news. After 7 years of MacNN, now that I've become so dependent on RSS I don't think I could read a site that doesn't provide a feed.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2006, 07:08 AM

Sorry to bump this after twenty-six years but I'm having the same problem in Newsfire. Is the feed still invalid or is there a fix now?

mkbhatia
Administrator
Sep 14, 2006, 03:36 PM

Please send these to macnn directly and it will be fixed in much more timely manner.

m.
( Last edited by mkbhatia; Sep 14, 2006 at 03:42 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 03:36 PM

It has been working fine for me with Newsfire.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2006, 06:30 PM

Well, whaddya know? You're right, it started working for me two days after I posted the above. I know this'll just make me look like an ignorant n00b, but really I couldn't get it to work for ages. Now it's all good. Hey ho.

Forum Links
Forum Rules