Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Underrated

Underrated
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2019, 05:49 AM

The anti overrated thread.

Michael Keaton
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

andi*pandi
Jul 8, 2019, 10:14 AM

I think since Birdman he's had a renaissance, and in retrospect his Batman was perfect.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2019, 10:42 AM

He's impressive in "The Founder" as well as Ray Kroc.

mindwaves
Jul 8, 2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
He's impressive in "The Founder" as well as Ray Kroc.
That was a great movie (read the book as well).

Rice cookers. I can't believe a lot of people cook rice on the stove still. With the press of a button, your rice (or soup or something else) can be done without any monitoring, and freeing up another burner on your stove to cook something else.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 8, 2019, 07:47 PM

The Expanse. Those who haven't watched it, should give it a try.

OreoCookie
Jul 8, 2019, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Some people dislike The Expanse? What's wrong with them?!?! Next thing you'll claim is that Babylon 5 is underrated!

Let me add to the list: Star Trek Deep Space Nine. It is the first time a Star Trek series dabbled in nuances where each character wasn't purely a paragon of virtue.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2019, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
That was a great movie (read the book as well).

Rice cookers. I can't believe a lot of people cook rice on the stove still. With the press of a button, your rice (or soup or something else) can be done without any monitoring, and freeing up another burner on your stove to cook something else.
People underrate rice cookers?

I mean, lots of people don't have them, because they don't necessarily appreciate rice as a basic staple, but among those that do, who underrates the importance of a rice cooker?

It's the single most important kitchen utensil in my home, apart from the stove.

Thorzdad
Jul 9, 2019, 06:07 AM

Used to have a rice cooker. It was nice. Did what it said it did. But, it took up needed space in the kitchen, and I could make rice just as well on the stovetop. I suppose if I were cooking for more people than my spouse and I, and we were having rice every day, a cooker would probably make more sense for us. I don't underrate them, though. I definitely recognize the utility and convenience.

mindwaves
Jul 9, 2019, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
People underrate rice cookers?

I mean, lots of people don't have them, because they don't necessarily appreciate rice as a basic staple, but among those that do, who underrates the importance of a rice cooker?

It's the single most important kitchen utensil in my home, apart from the stove.
I mean they are underrated because not that many people use them. They can be used for a wide variety of dishes other than rice, but people don’t seem to know or care. I cooked a whole (semi small) chicken in mine two days ago. Cooked it perfectly.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2019, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I mean they are underrated because not that many people use them. They can be used for a wide variety of dishes other than rice, but people don’t seem to know or care. I cooked a whole (semi small) chicken in mine two days ago. Cooked it perfectly.
Wait, what? In a standard rice cooker?

okay…I HAVE been underrating my rice cooker. Details, please!

andi*pandi
Jul 9, 2019, 08:25 AM

perhaps rice cooker and crock pot are interchangeabe?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2019, 08:07 PM

No, I have one that cooks a whole raft of stuff.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mindwaves
Jul 10, 2019, 02:38 AM

There are 2 basic kinds of rice cookers (well, 3, but I'm only going to talk about 2).

One is the single button model. Press a single button and that is all it takes to cook rice. Turns out that these dumb rice cookers making good chicken also. If you are looking for a baked chicken, then you are out of luck. I'm referring to a nice steamed or poached chicken. Basically, season your whole chicken (small enough to fit inside with some breathing room) as you like, add inside the rice cooker (maybe with a small steaming platform inside), add a cup of water (no need more than this), close lid, press button, and wait for magical chicken goodness. Note that lower wattage rice cookers may take up to two presses of the button.

For more expensive rice cookers -- the ones with multiple buttons and settings on the top -- it is basically the same thing, but you may need to try one of their preset settings. But same thing, about 40 minutes later, your chicken is nice and tender and very juicy. Little water required. The rice cooker contains all of the steam inside and uses the chicken's own natural juices to cook itself, due to the tight and integrated sealing and insulated body. No need to turn over. Just don't open the lid to check the cooking.

You can cook other things inside the rice cooker. Best to use the ones with multiple settings, though.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 10, 2019, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
perhaps rice cooker and crock pot are interchangeabe?
Sounds more like an Instant Pot.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2019, 09:47 AM

I mean, chicken in a rice cooker? Who steams food to death? Or is it some crazy preference for no food texture?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

andi*pandi
Jul 11, 2019, 10:56 AM

if you are making pulled pork or chicken, maybe sure, but otherwise...

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2019, 01:19 PM

Ehh.....even then a slow cooker just leaves you with a super-tender meat with no bark or texture....
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2019, 04:04 AM

...if you have one. I don’t. But I have a rice cooker.

However, I also have teeth. Chicken goes in the oven.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2019, 06:10 PM

Godzilla (1998)

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2019, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Godzilla (1998)
contentious.

Ah the helicopter scene. Fly UP you idiot. UP!!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2019, 09:14 AM

I wanted the helicopter to get eaten, though... I literally cheered when it happened.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2019, 11:44 AM

The Apache should go into the overrated thread. They crop up en mass in every single monster/alien invasion movie made and yet get swatted from the sky like flying ants on flying ant day.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2019, 01:06 PM

It’s like Worf. Only there to get the shit kicked out of him.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2019, 09:45 PM

Vinegar.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 8, 2019, 10:14 PM

Vinegar.
Certainly underrated as an acid solution. Don't use it to clean change. It does a good job turning dimes into pennies.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 9, 2019, 07:21 PM

Vinegar is great for cleaning almost everything else except coins. We use a 9% version (“normal” white vinegar is 5%) for cleaning stuff, since there’s so much calcium in our water. It’s freaking extraordinary at getting most day-to-day messes cleaned, sanitized, and deodorized.

For cleaning coins, use Lemishine. It’s marketed as a dishwasher detergent “booster,” and it uses citric acid to do a lot of its work. Lemishine does a great job on coins, brass accents, and just about anything else that would darken if you cleaned it with vinegar.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 9, 2019, 10:16 PM

Vinegar.
I use the white distilled stuff in the laundry to get the musty stuff out. Bleach couldn't touch it, but vinegar gets the towels smelling fresh again.

We had a recent bout of fruit flies, to the point where we'd be chasing at least two down at every meal time. I put out a bowl of apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap and ended up catching a couple dozen of them.

Wife complained about the smell of apple cider vinegar in our kitchen until I reminded her of 1) the time she tried to make a cleaning solution from ACV and that lasted about 2 days before I hard veto'd our house smelling like it, and 2) the time she did an all natural, organic, free range, vegan apple cider vinegar face scrub and I couldn't get within two feet of her face without smelling the stink.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2020, 02:17 AM

Bronson Pinchot.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2020, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I use the white distilled stuff in the laundry to get the musty stuff out. Bleach couldn't touch it, but vinegar gets the towels smelling fresh again.
Same.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2020, 11:52 PM

Dollar coins.

Why don’t people get this?

Thorzdad
Jan 27, 2020, 09:05 AM

What's to get? I'd much rather carry $10 in paper than $10 in coins.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2020, 09:06 AM

Coins are the devil.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2020, 11:30 AM

Coins are the devil.
Coins with negligible value are the devil. With two dollar coins, I can cover a small tip or impulse purchase. Two quarters covers nothing.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
What's to get? I'd much rather carry $10 in paper than $10 in coins.
I put most stuff on cards, so I’d rather have a wallet which doesn’t accommodate lots of paper. Then I can put it in my front pocket, where it’s harder to swipe, and it doesn’t crimp the butt nerves while I’m sitting.

This doesn’t mean you need to stuff your pockets with dollar coins. Two covers the small tip/purchase niche.

However, since they have a little bulk, they don’t jangle around. I generally put 5 in the breast pocket of my coats and don’t notice them. This means in winter, since I’ve got two layers, I actually do carry $10 in coins, and it’s a lot more manageable than 10 singles.

andi*pandi
Jan 27, 2020, 12:56 PM

They have their merits, but I don't carry them because ATM machines don't dispense them. Go into an actual bank? In Business hours? Such a chore.

(the post office used to have a machine that dispensed susan b's as change when you bought stamps... but now the machine takes credit cards and doesn't give change)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2020, 04:18 PM

Can we complain about $2 bills?

Kid got one as a gift. Went to the grocery store, he picked out something that cost like $1.70, kid used the $2 to pay for it. Cashier thought it was a $1 bill so he asked for more, I told him it was all there. So he went into the screen and did a price adjust to change the price of the item down to $1. I told him it was a $2 bill. He had to look again and realized what had happened, he'd apparently never seen a $2 bill before. And apparently all you have to do is refuse to pay full price and the cashier will give you 60% off? I never knew haggling at the grocery store was so easy.

I was relaying the story to my father-in-law. As it turns out, they were the ones that gifted the $2 to my kid.

"Oh, you SPENT it?" was his reply. Yes, I spent it - it's currency, available at any time at any bank. It is not rare, unique, notable, or sentimental. This isn't Grandma's 100 year old coin collection, it's a $2 bill. Did you expect us to frame it in commemoration of that one time you got us a gift that was both A) cheap and B) useless?

My parents used to (still do?) put $2 bills in the cards for high school graduates. You'd feel like a useless cheapass putting two $1 bills in that card, why do you think it's suddenly fun and quirky to toss in a $2 bill?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2020, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
They have their merits, but I don't carry them because ATM machines don't dispense them. Go into an actual bank? In Business hours? Such a chore.
It is, but a couple rolls usually lasts me a year.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2020, 06:42 PM

Can we complain about $2 bills?

Kid got one as a gift. Went to the grocery store, he picked out something that cost like $1.70, kid used the $2 to pay for it. Cashier thought it was a $1 bill so he asked for more, I told him it was all there. So he went into the screen and did a price adjust to change the price of the item down to $1. I told him it was a $2 bill. He had to look again and realized what had happened, he'd apparently never seen a $2 bill before. And apparently all you have to do is refuse to pay full price and the cashier will give you 60% off? I never knew haggling at the grocery store was so easy.

I was relaying the story to my father-in-law. As it turns out, they were the ones that gifted the $2 to my kid.

"Oh, you SPENT it?" was his reply. Yes, I spent it - it's currency, available at any time at any bank. It is not rare, unique, notable, or sentimental. This isn't Grandma's 100 year old coin collection, it's a $2 bill. Did you expect us to frame it in commemoration of that one time you got us a gift that was both A) cheap and B) useless?

My parents used to (still do?) put $2 bills in the cards for high school graduates. You'd feel like a useless cheapass putting two $1 bills in that card, why do you think it's suddenly fun and quirky to toss in a $2 bill?
Obligatory Woz story where he leverages people being weirded out by $2 by having a fresh stack glued at the short end like a pad of paper.

He’s had the cops get called on him for peeling one off and trying to pay for something, which in his book is the ultimate win.

andi*pandi
Jan 27, 2020, 09:27 PM

I didn't know they still printed them, If I came across one I'd think it was rare.

I'd heard the woz story about the sheet of $2, but not that he had them glued into notepads. Awesome.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jan 27, 2020 at 09:44 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2020, 07:05 AM

Conch fritters.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2020, 04:22 PM

Conch fritters.
Now you're just combining two words together.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2020, 04:48 PM

In my mouth.

And it’s glorious.

Thorzdad
Apr 14, 2020, 05:36 PM

Conch fritters.

andi*pandi
Apr 14, 2020, 08:01 PM

another vote pro-conch fritter. A good vacation memory.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 15, 2020, 11:14 AM

When we took my dad on a cruise, we stopped in Georgetown, Grand Cayman. My sister-in-law is married to a guy whose family is from there, so brother-in-law introduced my dad to his cousins. They proceeded to show him around and in particular show him the spots to eat. He was introduced to conch fritters that day. Dad had been a lot of places, and sampled a lot of different foods. He really, really liked those conch fritters.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2020, 11:45 AM

Just did some searching, the local seafood market has them as a special treat on occasion. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled once they reopen.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2020, 10:40 PM

Just did some searching, the local seafood market has them as a special treat on occasion. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled once they reopen.
It’s possible they may not hold up. All the times I’ve had them were in a place with a local conch supply. Georgetown being one of them.
( Last edited by subego; Apr 16, 2020 at 07:27 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2020, 11:04 AM

Not sure of the conches would be frozen or fresh, but their other seafood is flown in daily and processed from whole on site.

https://waterfrontseafoodmarket.com/seafood-market/

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2020, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
This is the #1 show on my list to check out right now. While I have an essential job, my time away from work is inherently less busy these days so like many others I have been taking to binging. I just finished up what is currently released of Netflix’s Lost in Space and I am told The Expanse is a much more mature space sci if on maybe a slightly smaller budget.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

reader50
Administrator
Apr 25, 2020, 11:07 PM

I'm not sure about the budget being smaller. While it was still at SciFi, their internal nickname for the show was The Expense.

Forum Links
Forum Rules