Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New motorbike

New motorbike
jebjeb
Senior User
May 13, 2008, 11:14 AM

I have recently moved house and instead of a 15 minute walk to work I would have a 10 minute walk, 20 min train journey and further 10 minute walk to the office on the other end. Time to get a bike again!

A few weeks ago, I picked myself up a BMW G650 XMoto (Pronounced cross-moto). Big single cylinder thumper. Excellent brakes and very chuckable. Also likes living on the rear wheel . Typical super-moto.

The seat looks pretty uncomfortable but it isn't bad, especially as my journey is only 15 minutes. Also got myself some really good protection gear.

We are finally getting some decent weather in London now so the ride into and from work as been very enjoyable.

Anyone else commute by motor bike?

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 13, 2008, 11:36 AM

Sweet! I love the new XMotos. Too bad they aren't offered anymore in the States, only the X Country. How is the seat height? I sat on a X Challenge and it was way to freakin tall for me.

Here's my commuter:

2006 Buell XB12X. 1200cc v-twin. I'm not big on Harleys but I love Buells for some reason.

Love beemers though. By next summer hopefully I plan on getting one of these:

Wifey doesn't know yet so shhhhh
( Last edited by greenamp; May 13, 2008 at 11:57 AM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2008, 11:40 AM

I've been seeing a lot more BMW cycles lately. I really dig them. They look really nice even with the additional storage boxes on the back. I've been thinking of checking them out, but I'd be worried about getting a nice motorcycle as my first bike. I just know I'd drop it or something else really stupid.

My dad used to ride, my mom used to ride, but no one else in our family got the bug. I remember riding on the bikes when I was a little kid, but now looking back on it, I have a real hard time imagining my mom riding a Harley.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 13, 2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I've been seeing a lot more BMW cycles lately. I really dig them. They look really nice even with the additional storage boxes on the back. I've been thinking of checking them out, but I'd be worried about getting a nice motorcycle as my first bike. I just know I'd drop it or something else really stupid.

My dad used to ride, my mom used to ride, but no one else in our family got the bug. I remember riding on the bikes when I was a little kid, but now looking back on it, I have a real hard time imagining my mom riding a Harley.
You will lay it over, it's a given. Bikes like to take a nap on their sides every once in a while. 'Course, maybe not if you go the XMoto or XCountry route as they only weigh like 300 pounds. But you don't have to buy a new beemer, you can always get a used one. Most BMW dealers have a nice selection of preowned

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
Sweet! I love the new XMotos. Too bad they aren't offered anymore in the States, only the X Country. How is the seat height? I sat on a X Challenge and it was way to freakin tall for me.
Seat height is.... high! I can get both tip toes down or one flat foot if I shift my arse off the seat. I'm 6"1'. It's fine for me though.

I too am not a fan of HD's but don't mind Buells.

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
The problem with getting a new, expensive bike as a first bike is not so much that it is new and expensive and you may/will drop it, it is more that new and expensive generally equals powerful and fast! Not the best attributes for a first road bike. Mind you, super motos and trail bikes are good (even the bigger engines like mine) as they are generally lighter and torquey so they are quite forgiving and you can build yourself up. The downside with super motos is the steep head angle which makes them nice a darty but this is not a good attribute for a first bike.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2008, 09:23 PM

Wouldn't want a crotch rocket or chopper. Having to lay down or hunch is bad enough. I like a bike that I can sit upright. Don't care for the look of a cruiser.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2008, 12:10 AM

Out of interest's sake, what's the target market of the Xmoto?

I have never seen one in person.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2008, 12:46 AM

My brother was beside a car that a crotch rocket ran into last Saturday. The driver later died at the hospital. It made the news because it happened at a very busy intersection.

Be careful out there.

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
May 14, 2008, 04:39 AM

Eug - I would imagine the target market is someone like me. Mid 20's to mid 30's, grew up riding dirt bikes, commuting in the city/suburbs and wants something a bit fun.

One bad thing about the Xmoto is it sucks big time on the motorway. Anything about 65mph is not very comfortable but doable.

Jawbone54 - funny you say that. This morning riding into work was the first time I have ever yelled at someone on the road. Riding along, not even filtering past traffic, going about 20mph, someone going the other was is waiting to turn right (remember we are on the proper side of the road here - the left!). She decides that she will put her mobile phone in to the crook of her neck so she can change gear and then just turn right in front of me. I Luckily I always ride in traffic with a finger covering the front brake. I braked so hard I did a stoppie. All with one finger. Gotta love those brakes. She just stops in the middle of my lane. I ride around to her window and bang on it. Flip the face of my helmet up (I have a BMW System 5 flip front helmet) and yell at her "Put your firetrucken phone down. It is is idiots like you that kill guys like me!" She just stared at me blankly.

BTW, it is illegal in the UK to use one's mobile whilst driving.

You have to ride like everyone is out to kill you. Other than that, it's a blast!

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2008, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by jebjeb View Post
BTW, it is illegal in the UK to use one's mobile whilst driving.
You should whip yours out and call the bobbies on her!

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
May 14, 2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
You should whip yours out and call the bobbies on her!
Ha! I read "Bobbies" as "boobies" and therefore thought you were suggesting I should have whipped my wang out on her!

Seriously though, that is an interesting thought. I wonder what would happen if I did call the police on her. There were plenty of witnesses that she had the phone and nearly cleaned me up. It would be good to see people get caught for nearly causing accidents rather than just post-accident.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2008, 12:01 PM

You have to ride like everyone is out to kill you. Other than that, it's a blast!
Yeah, definitely.

Having lost a friend when he was 19 to a bike accident, I'm super cautious whenever I have on driving next to/across/behind/in front of me. If they're around, I'm going to do my best to maintain a cushion for slight mistakes.

I was raised on dirtbikes. Actually, my shins are permanently "different" because of it, but some of the most fun I had was riding that thing everywhere. I'd still ride one if I had the time and money to accommodate the hobby.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 14, 2008, 03:18 PM

Nice! I have never liked the dirt bike style, but love to ride. I started on the old style Nighthawk, best as I can explain it, then moved to a cruiser with a small rake, and now a crotch rocket. They call it more of a sport-touring bike. It sits a bit different than say, a Ninja or similar, and way, way more power than I expected. I have to watch myself, actually.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 14, 2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post
Nice! I have never liked the dirt bike style, but love to ride. I started on the old style Nighthawk, best as I can explain it, then moved to a cruiser with a small rake, and now a crotch rocket. They call it more of a sport-touring bike. It sits a bit different than say, a Ninja or similar, and way, way more power than I expected. I have to watch myself, actually.
Um, so what bike is it dude?

ps: worthless w/o pics and all that

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2008, 07:05 PM

Here's my commuter:

2006 Buell XB12X. 1200cc v-twin. I'm not big on Harleys but I love Buells for some reason.
That's sweet, my dad has a 2008 XB12X, which I am going to ride this summer. He's been relegated to the Sportster

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 14, 2008, 08:27 PM

I have recently moved house and instead of a 15 minute walk to work I would have a 10 minute walk, 20 min train journey and further 10 minute walk to the office on the other end. Time to get a bike again!

A few weeks ago, I picked myself up a BMW G650 XMoto (Pronounced cross-moto). Big single cylinder thumper. Excellent brakes and very chuckable. Also likes living on the rear wheel . Typical super-moto.

The seat looks pretty uncomfortable but it isn't bad, especially as my journey is only 15 minutes. Also got myself some really good protection gear.

We are finally getting some decent weather in London now so the ride into and from work as been very enjoyable.

Anyone else commute by motor bike?
'Grats on the new ride! I harbor an unhealthy lust for Adventure bikes, and BMW adventures bikes are at the top of my list. Nice ride!

I picked up a new commuter bike this spring:

a 2008 Honda CBR1000RR to replace my old 2000 Honda CBR929RR (which replaplaced a 1992 CBR 900RR) that I used as a commuter bike. Insanely fast, very light, exceptional handling, amazing brakes. Did I mention insanely fast?
Haven't gotten to ride it as much as I would like with Colorado having a very wacked spring.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
May 15, 2008, 02:40 PM

CBR's rock! Such a good allround sports bike. Bit to compromised for my main type of riding. I assume you had more of a open road commute?

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 15, 2008, 03:56 PM

Um, so what bike is it dude?

ps: worthless w/o pics and all that
Sorry

It's an '03 ZZR600

And all I have of my first bike is this little bitty pic, sadly.

No pics of the Virago either

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
May 15, 2008, 04:11 PM

Sweet, Dampeoples. My first bike on the road was a 250 Virago. It was a great first bike on the road as the seat height was so low - a bit different to the BMW!

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 15, 2008, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I really miss the seat position on that bike, mine was a 700. It was very nimble and comfortable. I think the next machine I get, I will go back to a cruiser style.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 15, 2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post
Sorry

It's an '03 ZZR600
Sweet bike. Kawasaki makes some great rides.

I really dig the Versys.
( Last edited by greenamp; May 15, 2008 at 05:28 PM. )

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 15, 2008, 10:55 PM

CBR's rock! Such a good allround sports bike. Bit to compromised for my main type of riding. I assume you had more of a open road commute?
The trade off for the (lack) of comfort is the performance, to be sure. It is comfortable for a liter bike, more like the CBR 929RR and the CBR 954RR than the last gen of CBR 1000RR or the other liter bikes, but it is still a liter bike...
Not a huge open road commute, maybe 16 miles each way and I go to work and come home before the biggest slug of traffic so I can get a little roost on.
And ATTGAT: All The Gear, All The Time.

Good god, I want an adventure bike too!

alligator
Mac Elite
May 16, 2008, 10:10 PM

Okay, I'm on the edge here. I really want a better way to drive to work since my commute just increased to 40 minutes (one way). I'm often stuck in traffic and sitting in my car is really, really dull. I've owned two bikes in my life, the last one I sold because of my young kids.

Of course, I've always wanted a Ducati 1098.

But I'm not as young as I once was . . .

What do you guys think? How does driving to work everyday on a bike compare?

climber
Mac Elite
May 16, 2008, 10:29 PM

I just picked up the BMW R1200GS Adventure. I considered the X country but decided it was to small for me. Now I have to get the side bags on her so I can load up for a short trip. I love the idea of taking it up to northern Alaska. The arctic circle ride.

Not great great on gas like the single cylinder bikes, but highway speeds are not a problem. It will also carry a passenger comfortably.
climber

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
May 17, 2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by climber View Post

I just picked up the BMW R1200GS Adventure. I considered the X country but decided it was to small for me. Now I have to get the side bags on her so I can load up for a short trip. I love the idea of taking it up to northern Alaska. The arctic circle ride.

Not great great on gas like the single cylinder bikes, but highway speeds are not a problem. It will also carry a passenger comfortably.
Very nice, Climber. I was thinking of getting a 1200 GS but decided it was too big for the job. Mind you, I reckon I'm only a year or two away from getting one.

Any reason that you got the Adventure over a normal GS? I personal view is that considerable extra weight of the adventure is just not worth it unless one was really going to do some hard core stuff with it.

Do you guys have the new F800 GS over there? I test rode one and it is a hell of a bike. A great bike sitting between the 650's and the 1200 GS.

However, if you are talking about heading to Alaska with it, maybe you are going hard core!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 17, 2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by climber View Post

now that's an adventure bike! Hawt!

climber
Mac Elite
May 18, 2008, 12:31 AM

Very nice, Climber. I was thinking of getting a 1200 GS but decided it was too big for the job. Mind you, I reckon I'm only a year or two away from getting one.

Any reason that you got the Adventure over a normal GS? I personal view is that considerable extra weight of the adventure is just not worth it unless one was really going to do some hard core stuff with it.

Do you guys have the new F800 GS over there? I test rode one and it is a hell of a bike. A great bike sitting between the 650's and the 1200 GS.

However, if you are talking about heading to Alaska with it, maybe you are going hard core!
My brother has the GS version. He did not like the shorter windscreen. The GSA has a taller one, and I am 6'1" myself. I also wanted the larger gas tank for better range in the mountains where I live. I think the difference in weight is much less once you add the crash bars and other stuff on a regular GS.

I also fell in love with the red version as in the photo. I just love that color. It was not available in the GS. It does sit a bit higher as the suspension is taller, but I can still reach the ground with my feet flat, so it works well for me. The taller windscreen seems to work well at speeds that are legal anyway. Some guys push these bike over 120mph, but I am not quite that brave.

I have no plans for anything hardcore yet. I only have the top box mounted so far. The side boxes are down at the dealer waiting for me to pick them up. Once they are installed, I should be able to load the bike up for some exploring in the remote areas of our state (I live in Idaho). The crash bars have already proved their worth. It has been about 15 years since I owned a large motorbike like this. My last one was a Honda V65 Magna. I was dinking around a parking lot when my hand slipped off the clutch. I had the bar turned to tight when the bike lurched to a stop. It then fell over on the side. The bar and the plate covering the head did their job. Only a minor scuff. It probably would not have gone over if my foot was off the footpegs. I was working on some skills for the DMV motorcycle test. One of their tests is tight corners around some cones. If your feet touch the ground you fail. Most people borrow a small enduro or scooter and pass with ease, It is considered very hard with a full sized bike.

We do not have the 800's in the US yet. Supposed to be sometime this fall. I did not want to wait that long.
climber

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 18, 2008, 11:26 PM

Rumor has it that Honda will be releasing the Varaderos in the US by 2009.

( Last edited by greenamp; May 18, 2008 at 11:37 PM. )

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 18, 2008, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Okay, I'm on the edge here. I really want a better way to drive to work since my commute just increased to 40 minutes (one way). I'm often stuck in traffic and sitting in my car is really, really dull. I've owned two bikes in my life, the last one I sold because of my young kids.

Of course, I've always wanted a Ducati 1098.

But I'm not as young as I once was . . .

What do you guys think? How does driving to work everyday on a bike compare?
As for driving to work everyday, I look forward to my commute. That should tell you something.

I dunno how comfortable an aggressive sports bike like the 1098 would be if you have to sit in a lot of traffic? Looks like it wouldn't be to me. That 160hp twin was made to go.

A NInja 500 or an SV650/1000 might be a decent compromise. Or hell even a gixxer.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 3, 2008, 05:06 PM

No need to create a new thread if there is already one with the same title I had in mind.
... A few weeks ago, I picked myself up a BMW G650 XMoto (Pronounced cross-moto). Big single cylinder thumper. Excellent brakes and very chuckable. Also likes living on the rear wheel ...
Very nice bike! I always loved BMW's enduros.

And while I don't really have a commute (self-employed), I got myself a new scoot last fall as well - after many bike-less years. I wanted a comfy cruiser, not a touring- or a sport bike, that provided sufficient low-end grunt. I'm not a fan of the traditional Harleys but I did fall in love with the Dyna Fat Bob the moment I saw it at the dealership, even though I had gone there to take a look at the smaller Nightster.

It sure as heck doesn't live on its rear wheel, but despite its (relatively) enormous weight of 703lbs/319kgs, it feels surprisingly nimble. And I have definitely fallen in love with the sound of the big v-twin engine ... the blubbering, grinding, rasping and clacking sounds are the bomb. It's been my primary means of transport ever since, and it still manages to put a smile on my face every time I hop onto it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 05:16 PM

Looks similar to how I remember my dad's bike. You need a white helmet so you look like something outta Spaceballs.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 3, 2008, 06:03 PM

I already got me a modern rendition of Lord Helmet's gear ...

So I'm covered in that area.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by effgee View Post
And while I don't really have a commute (self-employed), I got myself a new scoot last fall as well - after many bike-less years. I wanted a comfy cruiser, not a touring- or a sport bike, that provided sufficient low-end grunt. I'm not a fan of the traditional Harleys but I did fall in love with the Dyna Fat Bob the moment I saw it at the dealership, even though I had gone there to take a look at the smaller Nightster.
LOVE, the Fat Bob. I got my bike last month, and was torn between the Fat Bob and the Night Train. In the end, I went with the Night Train since I work in York (where the Softails are made). I swapped out the drag bars for the slammed back ones...and mine's black.

Hey, did I mention my girlfriend got the Nightster? Also very cool. I love the look of it and it rides great, but was a little to small for me.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 3, 2008, 09:55 PM

^ Congrats, the Night Train's a great looking bike! I'm sure the two of you have tons of fun ... I really need to get my wife to buy her own bike as well.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by effgee View Post
I already got me a modern rendition of Lord Helmet's gear ...

So I'm covered in that area.
Whoa, what helmet is that?

edit: nvm... Roof Boxer. Freakin sweet.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 4, 2008, 10:27 PM

^ Roof Boxer V, actually - important distinction in that the original Boxer didn't have any vents in the chin bar, which lead to loads of fogging. Here's a pretty good review.

sprale
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2008, 10:18 AM

Sweet bike. Kawasaki makes some great rides.

I really dig the Versys.
I really like it as well. About the largest bike I would want. All it needs is side cases and DS tires for me.

Rumor has it that Honda will be releasing the Varadero in the US by 2009.

Is the 125 or the 1000 coming? The 125 would be a perfect commuter for me. Nice alternative to scooters.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2008, 03:14 PM

The 125 Varadero is sooo underpowered it would drive you mad!! It's a fairly heavy bike for a small engine, but it does look good.

Here's another photo of my new bike (well 3 weeks old)

Sans top box

It's a Yamaha FZ6 S2 Fazer 600cc

I almost bought one of these:

Aprilia Shiver 750, but I wanted a fairing to help on the longer distance runs and it sucks by not taking a hard top box which I really needed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules