Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Unfair fees

Unfair fees
mindwaves
May 20, 2020, 01:21 AM

One time I owned a very small foreign company overseas. I was forced by the landlord to close (my building and an adjoining building were going to be combined to make a restaurant). I had to close all of my accounts including my landline. I was required by the landline company to pay for every month until the end of my two year contract, which meant I had to pay 18+ months of phone usage that I would never use.

Any other unfair stories?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2020, 08:58 AM

How is that unfair? You signed a contract.

mindwaves  (op)
May 21, 2020, 12:40 AM

Should be some kind of termination fee like paying 3 months instead of the full 18 months.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2020, 09:21 AM

Absolutely right. Wasn’t thinking. Sorry!

andi*pandi
May 21, 2020, 11:06 AM

New online collegeboard AP tests failed on submit 50%. I suspect for the makeup tests they will charge us another $200 per. :/

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2020, 11:44 AM

I got 3s on both my AP tests (bio/chem-fizz).

This was totally unfair!

andi*pandi
May 21, 2020, 12:30 PM

At least you had AP classes! our school didn't.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2020, 01:12 PM

I hated high school with a passion, but looking back on it, it was an excellent school. This gets brought into sharp relief whenever high school English comes up.

“Wait... you mean you didn’t analyze Shakespeare, Tolstoy, and the Old Testament in high school English?”

Part of my hatred is I don’t work well with school. I get bored easily, and school is boring (unnecessarily, I might add), but the big reason is I had one of those super-shitty classes that teachers still talk about years later. The ones in front of and behind me were fine.

Thorzdad
May 21, 2020, 04:38 PM

I don’t think AP classes had even been invented yet when I was in high school. I went to a pretty good school, though. Indy’s brand new high school, staffed by a bunch of fresh-out-of-college teachers who still had ideas and dreams and stuff, and just enough veterans to keep things focused.

I took a great cinema class in hs. It introduced me to a lot of films and directors I never knew about. Films were still on film then, and were not edited to suit minors. Heck, we did class trips to area theaters to see films. We saw a Marx Bros. double feature at a revival theater downtown. That was great fun. I especially recall going to see A Clockwork Orange on one class trip. I can’t imagine today’s helicopter parents ever allowing something like that.

Thanks to the biology and zoology classes, I developed a life-long love for birding. We took a lot of field trips all over the state. Even went out of the state a couple of times. Once up to Canada, and once down to Georgia and the Okefenokee swamp. That was a particularly fun trip.

We also had two race riots in the four years I was there. Cops, dogs, teargas. Fun times.

Unless you were one of the ones that were really into “school spirit” and such, I don’t think any post-60s teenager actively liked high school. It’s just the way that age was by then. My mom’s generation, though, lived for their high school. It was a real part of their self-identification. That always just seemed bizarre to me.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2020, 04:57 PM

I have to say, A Clockwork Orange is way past anything they exposed us to.

Sadly, there weren’t a whole lot of movies. One teacher forced The Third Man on us, which I was glad for because there was no way I was watching it on my own at that time.

Thorzdad
May 21, 2020, 05:32 PM

The Third Man would be a whole lot easier to take if you could get rid of the gawdawful music. Or, just turn off the sound entirely and just study the masterclass in lighting and camera work.

mindwaves  (op)
May 21, 2020, 10:30 PM

I took a few AP exams in high school and passed all of them except for the American government one. I got a 2 on that. Really not sure how as I scored highest marks on the Golden State Exam (or whatever it is called) for American government the same year. I must have mis-filled out the bubble answer sheet or something. I thought that it was easy.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 22, 2020, 01:43 AM

I recall once paying a “fee processing fee” to some cable company. Or maybe Ticketmaster. Anyway, that’s what stuck.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2020, 05:00 AM

Sounds exactly like Ticketmaster. I think I paid one once for them too.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2020, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
The Third Man would be a whole lot easier to take if you could get rid of the gawdawful music. Or, just turn off the sound entirely and just study the masterclass in lighting and camera work.
Honestly, you’re the first person I’ve met who didn’t like the music.

Phun Third Man Phact: the main character in the movie is named “Holly”, because the director thought “Rollo”, his name from the book, was too gay.

This made me remember we probably had more movies in grade school. I know I mentioned my fourth grade teacher took us to see Lord of the Flies.

This is the same teacher who as punishment or reward, depending on the individual, would have a student jam a pushpin into the back of a mouse’s skull, because her blind pet snake couldn’t catch them otherwise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules