Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Timbuktu or Apple Remote Desktop?

Timbuktu or Apple Remote Desktop?
medmuse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2005, 11:28 AM

Among other Macs, I have a powerbook and a tower. I no longer have a display for the desktop and I use the powerbook 90% of the time anyway so the question is: I would like to access the desktop machine through my powerbook wired or wireless for a few specific tasks (actually run apps on both and move files) through one remote window (that looks like VPC perhaps) in my powerbook built-in display. I realize that Timbuktu has a trial version and ARD is cheap and VNC free but I would rather get someone's advice who already has the setup I envision. Do any of these apps do this? I have seen a tutorial for VNC but it is not clear on whether or not the "view" is of the desktop and if I have remote mouse control. Is it even possible to network a headless tower with a powerbook and have two fully functioning Macs on one display? i.e. Actually see the desktop (GUI) of both machines in the powerbook display and mouse over both with my trackpad? I've searched but not found a definitive answer. Usually the answer is off point, "Use SSH/Terminal/mount as server/etc." Is there a direct answer?
Thanks for any advice.
( Last edited by medmuse; Jan 1, 2005 at 02:10 PM. )
"If I was educated I would be a damn fool."
Bob Marley

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 2, 2005, 04:33 PM

To answer your question in bold: absolutely. ARD, Timbuktu, and VNC all do basically the same thing at the core: let you see and manipulate a remote computer's screen. Yes, remote keyboard and mouse control work.

Apple Remote Desktop is really more of a workgroup management software. It does indeed let you take over a screen, but its strong suit is letting you monitor a whole computer lab's screens at once. (ARD also has other lab management functions, like letting you install software on all the machines at once.) ARD really looks like it was designed with the classroom in mind.

Timbuktu is not designed for lab monitoring, but it excels at screen control. For example, drag and drop between screens works. Also, Timbuktu works better for non-LAN usage. Its performance is acceptable even over relatively slow Internet links.

VNC works, but it's slow even on a 100Mbit LAN. (VNC on a LAN is about as fast as Timbuktu over dialup!!!) VNC also lacks things like drag and drop and other niceties. But it's free.

I use Timbuktu over the internet to help my relatives (who all live 600-3000 miles away) with their Macs.

As for running headless: you may run into the problem that the Mac won't boot with no monitor attached. If you do encounter this, spend the $20 for a Dr. Bott gHEAD device, which mimics a monitor, allowing the Mac to boot with no display.

tooki

medmuse  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2005, 09:26 PM

tooki, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for such a comprehensive answer. That is exactly what I needed to know. I have searched the 'net for some time and, surprisingly, could not find a comparison of the three or even a complete description. I am going with Timbuktu.

Thanks again; Happy New Year
"If I was educated I would be a damn fool."
Bob Marley

Forum Links
Forum Rules