Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Strange Noise - Lacie d2 HD + PowerBook G4

Strange Noise - Lacie d2 HD + PowerBook G4
catominor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 08:09 AM

I just bought a Lacie d2 "triple" 250GB external HD to use with my 15' Powerbook G4 (running Tiger). Everything seems fine except, when I connect the drive, the Powerbook makes an annoying high-pitched "screeching"/"buzzing" sound. The sound in question is definitely coming from the Powerbook, not the drive (which makes different noises), and it happens whether I use FW 400 or 800. It is quite loud, and it stops as soon as I unmount the HD.

Does anyone know what might be causing the noise? Could it be damaging the computer? Is there any way I can make it stop?

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 08:35 AM

I can remember such kind of sound happening with an old Pismo and a LaCie d2 FireWire 400 Hard Disk drive, I think it also happened to me with my previous 17 inches Al PB… but there is not much I can say, I have attached the same LaCie d2 FW hard drive to the Pismo to transfer some files and I didn't hear such sound, the 17" PB isn't any longer with me.

Sorry not being more helpful…

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 08:37 AM

Oh well, does it happen with all the PowerBook's FireWire ports ?

catominor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Oh well, does it happen with all the PowerBook's FireWire ports ?
Yes, I've tried it with both the FW 400 and 800 ports and it makes the noise...

asodamiac
Senior User
Aug 1, 2006, 07:47 PM

That's strange. I have the same, but the 300GB model, and have no issues. The only noise I hear when I plug in the FW800 is the external making a sound (like a high-speed whirr) and then after that its quiet (with the occasional whirr from time to time). Definitely does not seem normal!
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

catominor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
Definitely does not seem normal!
That makes me a bit reluctant to use it, in case it is harmful for the computer. I wonder whether it is a Lacie or an Apple issue?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 10:21 PM

=/ i just started noticing this on mine the other day for a while, than it stoped. lacie 300 gig

lkepierre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 10:30 PM

I have a hi pitched whin comming from the infrared port when I try to power up my G3 powerbook wallstreet. No chime or display only whin when power turned on. Any ideas on what this might be?

catominor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
=/ i just started noticing this on mine the other day for a while, than it stoped.
I just tried connecting it by the USB 2 port, and it doesn't make the noise.

I've seen some threads on audio forums about "firewire noise" (e.g. http://www.recordingproject.com/bbs/...c.php?p=91137) - Could it be a flaw of Firewire itself that having a device connected sometimes makes a noise? (Is this what is called "chirping"?)
( Last edited by catominor; Aug 2, 2006 at 08:15 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules