Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I just reported to cops that didn't use their signals.

I just reported to cops that didn't use their signals. (Page 2)
ambush
Banned
Jul 26, 2004, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
No accidents are ever caused by lack of turn signals.
That's a brilliant quote.

They're such a nice decoration on a car, maybe they could even be optional for those on a tight buget?

end of sarcasm.

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Wow. So much power. What does it feel like?
More like too much time and not enough of a life.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Jul 27, 2004, 12:55 AM

I don't understand, signaling has become a habit for me... Hell, I find myself indicating to get into my own driveway at 2:30 a.m. (suburbia, not on any major roads) Perhaps it is the paranoid schizophrenia in me.
are you lightfooted?

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 06:49 AM

I used to live in a house (yay) which was at the end of a driveway that serviced two houses. I used to indicate to say what house I was turning into.

It should be habit, not a chore.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by _?_:
I am guessing an intersection - and in reference to wnakers to think that they can wait in it while the light is green.....and then it goes red, and they block traffic.
Yup, that's right. They don't always have lights - either way, you can't enter until you can leave.
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by _?_:
It should be habit, not a chore.
Indeed.
If you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you can signal and drive at the same time.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 09:09 AM

As a pedestrian I always thought it would be funny to walk over someone's hood who didn't quite make it.....

( I mustn't have got enough hugs as a child )

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 09:28 AM

About 2 weeks ago I was almost ran over by a police car that did not use their sirene (if there was an emergency which I doubt) I was crossing on my green and did not see them coming they just stopped one inch from me.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by george68:
You're stupid. I was hit in the 1/4 panel by some stupid woman, who HAD she used her signals, she would provided insight as to what her stupid ass was about to do, and I could have avoided it. She thought she was on a 2 way street, but she was on a ONE way street, with 2 lanes.

Animation:

http://members.aol.com/cash68/crash.swf

She was slowing down gradually, like she was going to take a RIGHT hand turn...then, POOFF, she turns left and hits the back of my car. She started to turn when I was pretty much NEXT to her... if she had used her signals, it wouldn't have happened.
What the heck were you doing overtaking on the inside? Weren't you driving defensively with her possible lane change in mind?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
That's a brilliant quote.

They're such a nice decoration on a car, maybe they could even be optional for those on a tight buget?

end of sarcasm.
Come back when you've been driving for a few years.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 02:44 PM

What the heck were you doing overtaking on the inside? Weren't you driving defensively with her possible lane change in mind?

If she turned LEFT and hit his car then that means he was passing on the left/outside (which is legal).

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 02:46 PM

I've been driving for a few years. I've seen plenty of situations where it got hairy because someone didn't signal.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 03:03 PM

Ah... this thread brings back memories of my bus driver...
Got pulled over and sited for:

Driving on the wrong side of a marked road.
Not stopping at a Stop sign.
20 miles over posted limit (45 in a 25).
Not signaling that he was going to make a turn.

How that man continues to drive my neighborhood bus I do not understand. (Actually, I do, The head of transportation came on the bus to see why Frank wasn't paying attention to the road and the kids verbally abused him enough that he left crying)

ambush
Banned

I've been using my bike as a mean of transportation since I was very young, and I also drive a car.

My father (he's been driving since like 40 years) got involved in an accident caused by someone who did not signal.

I think a driving lesson might refresh your memory about the importance of signals. Until then, stop trying to make sense in this thread. You fail miserably every time you do.

cheerios
Professional Poster

Originally posted by Amorya:
Yup, that's right. They don't always have lights - either way, you can't enter until you can leave.
see, this confuses me, to some extent. I know if you're going straight , and hte traffic's backed up, you can't enter till there's room to leave. easy, right?

Ok, what about unprotected left hand turns? There's room to leave, if you can just GET there, and i was always told to roll out into the intersection, that way if the light turns red, at least you, and maybe the guy behind you will be able to get through.

So... you can't enter unless you can leave... unless you're turning left and you COULD leave if you could drive THROUGH the oncoming traffic. nice and simple, no?
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Ah... this thread brings back memories of my bus driver...
Got pulled over and sited for:

Driving on the wrong side of a marked road.
Not stopping at a Stop sign.
20 miles over posted limit (45 in a 25).
Not signaling that he was going to make a turn.

How that man continues to drive my neighborhood bus I do not understand. (Actually, I do, The head of transportation came on the bus to see why Frank wasn't paying attention to the road and the kids verbally abused him enough that he left crying)
That's nothing. Our neigborhood bus driver once took a stop sign down.. she drove off with it caught in the window.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
see, this confuses me, to some extent. I know if you're going straight , and hte traffic's backed up, you can't enter till there's room to leave. easy, right?

Ok, what about unprotected left hand turns? There's room to leave, if you can just GET there, and i was always told to roll out into the intersection, that way if the light turns red, at least you, and maybe the guy behind you will be able to get through.

So... you can't enter unless you can leave... unless you're turning left and you COULD leave if you could drive THROUGH the oncoming traffic. nice and simple, no?
I think the difference is entering an intersection during heavy traffic with the intention to go straight, where cars in the opposite direction will be blocked by you if you fail to exit, and rolling in and being able to turn left as soon as the light turns red (assuming the opposite direction doesn't block the box).

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 03:32 PM

The FACT IS:

Turn-signals ARE REQUIRED FOR
a) lane Changes
b) Turns

All the opinions and rationalizations ARE BS!!!!

Plain & Simple.

Turn signals are to be used to notify others that YOU INTEND to turn, it DOES NOT give you any specific RIGHT TO!!!

george68  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2004, 06:35 PM

Inside? There is no inside. It's a 4 way intersection, and like I said, the street I was on was a ONE WAY TWO LANE street. Apparently that is too difficult for you to understand.

- Rob

george68  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
If she turned LEFT and hit his car then that means he was passing on the left/outside (which is legal).
I wasn't even really passing... she was slowing down.... slightly... she slowed down as I came along side her... then once I was next to her, without a signal, she turned left into the back of my car. This was a two lane one way street, so I was not 'passing', it was in a freaking residential area with a speed limit of 25mph.

- Rob

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 07:09 PM

not to pick on you, but if your car was behind hers, than you exchanged positions so that your car was in front of hers, you have passed her. like passing on the freeway?

that said, I don't think anyone really cares that much about how you got sideswiped by a moron.
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

george68  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2004, 07:16 PM

not to pick on you, but if your car was behind hers, than you exchanged positions so that your car was in front of hers, you have passed her. like passing on the freeway?

that said, I don't think anyone really cares that much about how you got sideswiped by a moron.
no

YOU PEOPLE ARE NOT ****IGN LISTENING.

THIS IS A TWO LANE STREET. IT IS A ONE WAY STREET.

HENCE BOTH LANES ARE GOING THE SAME DIRECTION!!!!!!!!!!!

I was never behind her car, I was in the left lane because in a few blocks, I needed to take a left. She, being a woman, assumed she was on a TWO way street, and attempted to turn left WITHOUT a signal from the RIGHT lane.... and I didn't pass her. She slowed down, like she was going to park on the street, or pull into a driveway, or something.

- Rob

PS: She even got a ticket for violating the centerline. Bitch.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 07:49 PM

ya know, there's no need to shout... I understand you didn't intend to pass her. I understand it's a 1 way road. I understand she slowed down ,causing your car to advance to a position beyond hers. thus, you PASSED her. ooooh... Relax a bit more ca$h, I can just imagine that vein on your forehead popping out.

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 07:57 PM

nShe, being a woman, assumed she was on a TWO way street, .. blah blah
There you have it... you solved the mystery, it is because she is a woman!!!

You are such a little twit

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 08:01 PM

.... and I didn't pass her.
meh, figures .. musta been driving that SVX

george68  (op)
Banned
Jul 28, 2004, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by mikellanes:
There you have it... you solved the mystery, it is because she is a woman!!!

You are such a little twit
Truthfully I find women tend to pull more dingbat moves like this than men. Men tend to just do stupid things like snap lanes, tailgate, etc.

- Rob

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 06:56 AM

Yeah, that's right. (Although over here it's if you're turning right that it's ok to wait there.)

That's a box junction, for any of you still confused - notice the yellow crossed lines. Not all junctions are like that. The rules only apply if the lines are there.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules