Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Post your Mac OS X install story and initial reaction here.

Post your Mac OS X install story and initial reaction here. (Page 3)
gooeynougat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 03:17 PM

I might be insane, but...

I just installed my copy of os x and it is fast! I'm quite pleased - this is a real accomplishment for Apple. What other Unix system can you install and configure in less than half an hour? I've installed many Linux systems, and I can't say that for any of them. Anyway, here are my specs:

Lombard/400/192 ram

I installed both osx and 9.1 on the same parition.

Here's why I think I might be nuts: I had installed 4k78 from Carracho (ok, yes, I'm evil, burn me at the stake) which is supposed to be, byte for byte, the exact same as the shipping version, which I have installed now. (Yes, Piracy, I've seen your rants on this, and I've tried it myself, and yeah, they're the same - it appears that my build from Carracho was not a phony). Those facts aside, the shipping version that I've just installed fresh from FedEx is noticeably faster than the Carracho build. It isn't just psychological, I'm sure of it. Everything opens much faster, window resizing is fast - this os just plain rocks.

The only reason that I can imagine that it is any faster is because I reformatted my drive before installing. Why else would it be? Any theories, besides the fact that I'm nuts? Anyway, thought I'd share my experience. This is an incredible os: not only is it stable, it is beautiful, and I find navigating the file system much more efficient than in 9. All this from a guy who was ready to abandon Apple and MacOS a year ago because of serious stability problems in 9. I was a skeptic; now I'm sold. Go Apple!

P.S. If you haven't checked out OmniWeb, run over to omnigroup and grab a copy. The 4.0cf is amazing!

Juggler
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 03:26 PM

gooeynougat, do you find that 192 RAM is enough for running Classic smoothly?

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2001, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Juggler:
gooeynougat, do you find that 192 RAM is enough for running Classic smoothly?

192Mb is fine - I've got that on my iBook and I've been pleasanly surprised by the speed of the new OS.
Few complaints from me in other areas either: absolutely wonderful interface, the ability to save Web pages to PDF is superb. Only sticking point at the moment is setting up a Computer to Computer Airport connection with my 9.1 iMac, but I'm sure I'll have that sorted out soon.

Mr H

MusicMac
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 10:51 PM

Beige G3 266. Not a chance. Wouldn't start up from CD. PowerBook. Awesome. Installed and runs beautifully.
G4/400 - 20/10GB HD -256MB RAM -OS X 10.1.2

PRS Custom22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 10:56 PM

Cube/450 stock except for 320MB RAM and FireWire Zip.

Works beautifully once I figured out the iTools account name prob I mentioned in the support forum.

jimmac
Mar 24, 2001, 11:02 PM

Well, not much to say so far except it's working great! OS X is fast, Classic seems at least as fast as OS 9.1! The most simple install I've experienced ever. One exception, my Imedia keyboard wasn't recognized during the setup process but seems fine now. I would like to get the Apple pro keyboard but there's the issue of no power button. Played a game of Quake 3 in classic and no problem! All in all .....WOW!
I did see what you guys are saying about the window resizing but it's something I can live with for now. I did a basic install of OS X over 9.1.
G4 450 AGP
Radeon
384 mgs of ram
and now OS X!

PS. My internet setup has never been less work! I'm using cable.

yaro
Mar 24, 2001, 11:08 PM

Great on beige g3 rev B, owc zif 400 upgrade clocked to 458/83.
It works , its snappy. I am happy with it.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2001, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by MusicMac:
Beige G3 266. Not a chance. Wouldn't start up from CD.
Disconnect everything from the SCSI chain. A SCSI CD-R burner caused this problem on my beige G3. Boots fine from CD or installed HD version of X without it.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2001, 11:45 PM

I instaled on a PowerBook G4 this afternoon. The installation took about 20 minutes. I've been using it all day.

So far, no problems. Classic works. Everything's been working pretty well. My only gripe is that 128MB of RAM seems totally inadequate when running classic. My HD is constantly swapping VM when classic is on. I'm adding another 128MB as soon as I can scrape together the cash.

chrisml
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2001, 12:05 AM

My install (400 iMac DVSE, 256 MB) went quite well even though I had to upgrade twice 9.1 and OS X. At first it took me some time to get my barings and to get things set up the way I wanted. Speed wise I found it to be okay in general, but in some areas it could get faster. The graphics are amazing! I really liked the screen savers too. Classic works very well, but noticed that it's best to keep your files that require a classic application in your 9.1 documents folder. If you move them to the OS X one you'll have to navigate through a lot of folders. Over all I'm very pleased with it and I look forward to the updates and getting more carbon apps.

Chris

dylan
Mar 25, 2001, 12:18 AM

Can anyone with an nVidia GeForce 2 card let us know what the visual slowness is like? One guy said that when he cranked the resolution down to 800x600, Windows resizing could keep up with the mouse again, so it sounds like this might be a video driver issue.

nVidia is known for their drivers.. ATI is .. well .. you know.

I ask because I have a GeForce 2 (PC version, but the flash trick'll fix that) coming next week to replace my Rage128 Pro (G4/Gigabit/256MB/DVD) and am wondering if it'll help 2D performance in X as well as providing the obvious 3D increase.

D

lichtenhousen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2001, 01:16 AM

My first impression is that Apple has crapped all over an interface that was nothing short of perfection. I've used the Public Beta quite a bit and I was hoping like crazy Apple would fix some things. I bought OS X today and guess what... They didn't.

Besides being unusably slow (on a B&W G3), it still has all the same flaws. For instance, the dock, while being a nice piece of eye candy and quite fun, is a usability nightmare. If you don't believe me, here's a reputable source that feels the same way I do: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/4q00/...x-beta-13.html

Now, here's the thing. I am a bona-fide Mac freak. I've been using Macs for over ten years. I want nothing but the best for Apple, but they really need to fix this.

What I don't get is that they've got a HUGE and LOYAL market that has learned over 15 years time, the finite details of a TOTALLY customizable OS. Then they throw it all away and expect us to start over. I don't get it. I understand that the "plumbing" needed changing (and no doubt NEXT was the best place to start), but to change the interface so drastically just doesn't make sense. I'm not just talking about JUST the control strip or JUST the application menu, but everything. Little things like being able to drag a window from the edge instead of the top, or the spring loaded folders for crying out loud! They didn't even get the NEXT style file browser right - they left out the shelf which was a brilliant piece of work, I'm not kidding.

They really went with style over substance this time (in the interface - they got the plumbing right) Anyway, I hope they do something about all this. Unfortunetly there isn't another OS I can in good concience use.

Damnit, damnit, damnit... <Sigh>

------------------

signaturehousen.

signaturehousen.

patrickjketelaar
Mar 25, 2001, 01:49 AM

Well, after 13 hours with the retail version, i can say im happy. I have a G4 400 (gigabit ethernet) with 448 megs of ram, and installed on the same partition as 9.1. Install went great, even after i put the new firmware in this morning and none of my ram got killed. After installing X, i was a little dissapointed. I had downloaded the new iTunes and it was crashing and even Fire wasnt working well through my earthlink dialup. What I did was simple. Turned the machine on, let it index and sit for a few hours. I ran into two bugs, one being no sound waking from sleep, but that has cured itself, and the other was itunes crashing every 5 seconds, but that stopped too. Just boot your sistem, let it sit and index and just generally run. I have 6 hours uptime without a crash or restart, so I think its all set. Im very happy, I orderd appleworks today because of my VPC 4.0 not being supported, but I dont think Ill need that in the end.

oh yea, and i got my dock vertical by following directions on this board. command line is so nice, cause you can really edit the heck out of the prefs. Dont get too frustrated, give it time, and it works great. Ram is good too. I dont even close apps, just minimize to the dock. Now if MS would upgrade IE 5.1, I tried omniweb 4 but im just used to IE too much.. all in all, good job apple. im happy. $130 bucks well spent.

BRING ON THE APPS! IM READY TO GO! HOBBES IS ALL SET!

Patrick
(Hobbes is my G4, Calvin is my eMate.)
Patrick J Ketelaar
Aerospace Engineering student, Parks College of Engineering and Aviation

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2001, 02:06 AM

My experience so far in using OS X has been pretty good. I agree with everyone who says that IE is terrible. I'm on Omniweb now, and that's pretty goo--better than the last version I used in PB.

However, I had an absolutely horrible installation experience. Nothing terminal happened, but the process of signing up for the user account literally took hours. In fact, it was so bad that I actually restarted the computer before the process had finished, and then wiped the OS X partition and started over again. The second time was just as bad, so I just let it run--it was so slow, I actually cooked dinner while it was whirring away. I can't imagine what someone who doesn't really love Macs would have to say after such an experience. It was decidedly not good.

Now I'm just trying to get used to the system. Some of the things that I just never tried out in PB I'm now finding difficulty with. So I can't get my home network, three machines working off an ethernet hub, to recognize the OS X machine, nor can I get the OS X machine to recognize the other two computers, both running OS 9.1. I've read some suggestions about how to deal with the problem, so it may not be a serious thing.

I also had a stupid experience trying to print. I'd unplugged the USB hub so that my scanner wouldn't keep coming on all the time, and then of course I forgot to reconnect it. When I tried to print on my Epson 760, I couldn't do it at all. I kept reading in the Help file that USB printers would show up automatically. I was about to call Apple when my son pointed out that the USB cable was out

I'm sure there'll be other stupidities on my part. But so far, on the whole, I like the system a lot.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

naden
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2001, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by lichtenhousen:
My first impression is that Apple has crapped all over an interface that was nothing short of perfection. I've used the Public Beta quite a bit and I was hoping like crazy Apple would fix some things. I bought OS X today and guess what... They didn't.

Besides being unusably slow (on a B&W G3), it still has all the same flaws. For instance, the dock, while being a nice piece of eye candy and quite fun, is a usability nightmare. If you don't believe me, here's a reputable source that feels the same way I do: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/4q00/...x-beta-13.html

Now, here's the thing. I am a bona-fide Mac freak. I've been using Macs for over ten years. I want nothing but the best for Apple, but they really need to fix this.

What I don't get is that they've got a HUGE and LOYAL market that has learned over 15 years time, the finite details of a TOTALLY customizable OS. Then they throw it all away and expect us to start over. I don't get it. I understand that the "plumbing" needed changing (and no doubt NEXT was the best place to start), but to change the interface so drastically just doesn't make sense. I'm not just talking about JUST the control strip or JUST the application menu, but everything. Little things like being able to drag a window from the edge instead of the top, or the spring loaded folders for crying out loud! They didn't even get the NEXT style file browser right - they left out the shelf which was a brilliant piece of work, I'm not kidding.

They really went with style over substance this time (in the interface - they got the plumbing right) Anyway, I hope they do something about all this. Unfortunetly there isn't another OS I can in good concience use.

Damnit, damnit, damnit... <Sigh>

It's version 1.0 - get a grip. Go get yourself a Mac emulator and run System 1.0 then come back here and whinge about OSX. Put things into perspective. Apple have succeeded to do what Linux has been trying to do for how many goddam years ?

OSX is not perfect but quit expecting that it should. It'll take time.

Dragonlance
Mar 25, 2001, 02:22 AM

[This message has been edited by Dragonlance (edited 03-25-2001).]

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2001, 02:35 AM

Regarding the dock problems, most of the issues raised in the arstechnica article are correctable in 4k78, although sometimes with undocumented hacks:

1. The Dock is centered.

Fixable with the plist hacks posted here in several threads.

2. The height of Dock click targets is finite.

Fixed, the targets extend to the edge of the screen.

3. Text labels in the Dock are not visible without a mouse-over.

Still true, and a minor annoyance. Since the dock now has hierarchical popup menus you don't need to keep lots of folders in it, but it's still a problem with several similar minimized documents.

4. The Dock obscures windows' resize widgets.

Move it to the side of the screen, using the plist hack.

5. Dock organization is arbitrary.

Still true. I'd actually like to have my "Favorites" folder be at the top of the dock (mine's vertical), but I can't.

So 3.5 out of the 5 problems are correctable, which isn't too bad. In my opinion the dock has gone from being an impediment to productivity in the Public Beta to being pretty good in the final. Of course it could still be better, but Apple's feedback page is back up...

tie
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2001, 02:48 AM

The plist hack for the dock is not useful unless it is automatic. Yeah
right, every time I log in, I am going to sudo edit a plist and then click
on some contextual menu? No. In my opinion, MacOS X is a pretty bad
unfinished OS. Anyone else notice that the dock magnification that
Jobs demoed so much and that probably took most of his attention is now
turned off by default? Good riddance, it is a distraction and not useful.
So I'm already tired of OS X. I'll still use it and I'm sure I'll find
things to like. But I wish there were better alternatives.

Here's an interestesting bug: the force quit dialog froze on me. Not only couldn't I force quit anything, I couldn't even log out. Hard restart. I'd thought these would be a thing of the past..
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2001, 02:58 AM

After installing OS 9.1 on a newly formatted drive, then I installed OS X.
(G4 400 AGP 512mb ram)

Upon final setup I restarted (rebooted).. I seemed about 45 secs to desktop. Generally everything seems slow. Redraws, opening windows, everything... The one amazing thing is that I can do is have programs rendering in Classic while doing other stuff- like browse the web, play music and QT (which is better than 4, but still slow in every aspect) and everything works well in a display of multi-tasking.

But I dunno, I waited years for this and it all feels a bit anti-climatic- the whole process was so easy, quick and done with. Firewire doesn't work for video and iMovie for OS X is beyond redemption(it is really pathetic)...

So now I need software to run other than OmniWeb, iTunes, Mail. There is simply very little software available. I'm sure we'll see a series of updates for our new OS, and I'd like to see OS X on a dual processor - namely a 2x 1ghz G4 please.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2001, 03:04 AM

The plist hack for the dock is not useful unless it is automatic. Yeah right, every time I log in, I am going to sudo edit a plist and then click on some contextual menu? No.
You only have to edit the plist once. It does lose the orientation and pinning settings whenever you log out, but it's just two menu selections to get them back which isn't a big deal. Besides, with OS X you should never have to log out...ok, probably not.

Anyone else notice that the dock magnification that
Jobs demoed so much and that probably took most of his attention is now
turned off by default? Good riddance, it is a distraction and not useful.
Completely agree on this, it seems like the main purpose of magnification is for Steve's demos.

wwzausch
Mar 25, 2001, 12:44 PM

Well, on and on... restart after restart. All I seem to get are crashes. Anyone experiencing the same?

I don't think it is syncing with my AppleVision 17" monitor. Either that or something is amiss. I have a SCSI card installed in my G4, but I can't come to taking it out of my computer. I just can't. Plus, I have internal SCSI drives installed.

This sucks.

Belle
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2001, 12:48 PM

Having crossed the border from AppleInsider to MacNN, it's not really good form to smuggle through rumor-mongering in my refugee's baggage allowance, but it's needed round here to put some smiles on the less-than-cheery faces round here.

ThinkSecret, the one rumor site that has consistently had accurate information over the last few months, suspects an update to OS X could appear within a week or two. This makes a lot of sense, as by that time the code on the retail CD will be almost a month old, and Apple has been cranking out builds on a weekly, often daily, basis for the last few months.

For those who have also escaped from the collapsed State of AppleInsider, and recall discussions about the delays over DVD for OS X and whether or not they're technical - Apple has confirmed that the problem is making the implementation secure enough to avoid any conflict with the MPAA. Interesting.

Yesterday, I spent some of the day at Microsoft's Redmond campus. Looks like the people here weren't the only ones patiently awaiting the Fedex delivery guy. Speaking with some of the Windows dev team, there's a great respect among at least some for what Apple has achieved with OS X.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2001, 01:09 PM

iMac 400 DV (summer) 512 MB non-Apple RAM / 45GB IBM DeskStar HD; 1, 6 GB partition with 9.1 and firmware upgraded3.24.01
  • Inserted disk: 12:22
  • Double Clicked Install: 12:28
  • Kernel Panic: 12:30 <sigh...stare at screen for five minutes; this happened with PB, too>
  • Retried: 12:38
  • Kernel Panic: 12:39
  • Power Smoked Cigarettes: 12:41 to 12:56
  • Unplugged Ethernet and iSub: 12:57
  • Retried: 13:05, no kernal panic, but"The installer has unexpectedly quit. (error 0)/Press return key to restart computer.../kmod_destroy: com.apple.iokit.AppleMediaBay (id 45), deallocating 4 pages starting at 0xf2b4000<...etc...these strings go on for a while>"
  • Dutifully type this up: 13:09 to 13:14
  • Hard reboot and eject CD w/ paper clip...booting into 9.1 (amazingly).
  • Start backing up everything (already did essential stuff) onto my Pismo: 13:18
  • Reformatted, reinstalled, kernel panic: 15:15:
  • Getting really, really peeved--smoke some more: 15:17-15:45
  • Removed 512MB of 3rd party RAM, inserted original 1 64MB chip--and it installs!!: 16:13
  • Mess around a bit, reinstall 512MB of RAM. It boots!: 16:17-17:00
  • Downloaded stuff from my iDisk--servers are probably overrun: 17:00-17:30 p.m.
My two-bits: My iSub does not work...grrrrr....! Force Quit is a cool (occasionally Disk Copy has cycled forever). My ADS Pyro Kit FW drive mounted straight-up. My Ricoh digital camera is not recognized by Image Capture. All ops seem as peppy or peppier than OS9. This Mac is strictly for iMovie/iMusic, so I'm pretty happy all around (especially when I get my iSub back).
[edit: cleaned up some formatting]

[This message has been edited by scottiB (edited 03-25-2001).]
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

mauricec
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2001, 01:22 PM

If after partitioning and rebooting with the CD for OSX or 9.1 or 8.6, do I get a choice to pick the volume?

If all the volumes appear on the Desk Top then I will be able to choose the one I want, I gather.

Now, if I download say acrobat reader, assuming I did not have it on any of my systems, and drag the installer file to the applications volume and installed it there, the Extension and preferences files will sit in the applications volume.

If I had booted on system 8.6 when I downloaded AR and went back to the
volume where system 8.6 is, after having installed AR in the applications volume, and went on line and tried to open a PDF file, I should imagine it will not open up.

Should I therefore make an alias of the extension and place it in the Extensions folder of system 8.6?

Would that work or do I have to make an alias of the applications folder and
place it in the volume where system 8.6 resides?

Your help in this matter would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Maisie

urp
Mar 25, 2001, 01:36 PM

Having crossed the border from AppleInsider to MacNN, it's not really good form to smuggle through rumor-mongering in my refugee's baggage allowance, but it's needed round here to put some smiles on the less-than-cheery faces round here.
Think of this OS launch as the equivalent of a MacWorld hardware launch. There was no OS equivalent of G5 quad-processor, 8xAGP, raycer chip on-board, 10,000 RPM ATA100 machine on March 24th. Expectations are always slightly higher than reality allows, hence the long faces.

Belle
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2001, 01:44 PM

Think of this OS launch as the equivalent of a MacWorld hardware launch. There was no OS equivalent of G5 quad-processor, 8xAGP, raycer chip on-board, 10,000 RPM ATA100 machine on March 24th. Expectations are always slightly higher than reality allows, hence the long faces.
Ah, so true. Which is why I brought on the reserve of the depressed AppleInsider - digging up trash about the next big thing. Which just sets people up for another fall, of course...

cutterjohn
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2001, 01:50 PM

Machines:
Powerbook G3/500, 640M, 20G, Airport (Pismo)
G4/500 Minitower SP Sawtooth, 320M RAM, 60G, RagePro, 17" Nokia 447XiPlus

(DP3, DP4, Public Beta, misc releases - 4K78)

Overall, I like it, with reservations. (see below)

Initially, I was installing on the pb as a test bed, and had been using UFS as my install file format (MISTAKE!) Airport, and a number of other features were inoperable as installed by the installer to a fresh UFS partition. (Things that worked in other pre-reeleases on a UFS partition now failed to work..) Needless to say, I was EXTREMELY disappointed by the lack of support for UFS, and even the fact that Apple included it when it, clearly, is not even of alpha quality. Given the choice of two function file systems, I would choose UFS EVERY time, but oh well... cd-rw, dvd, etc. ('Twould have been nice if they mentioned these bugs in the late breaking news or manual, as well...)

I am really disappointed with Apple yet again...boing boing boing...there goes the ball, again... I REALLY wish that they would have delayed OS X launch until they had all of these items, or at least dvd & cd-rw going. The loss of a fully functional UFS based system was another mistake...

Mac OS X is nice though. It is a nice frobntend on what is, essentially, a UN*X based system. As far as I am concerned it is the first CONSISTENTLY useful GUI ever shipped for a UN*X system. I expect that even more unix/X-Windows rpograms will be ported, or otherwise made to work on OS X. The new virtual memory/memory management system are much more useful/efficient than earlier Mac OSes. (Especially protected memory enforcement...)

I give up. There are just too many improvements in OS X over < OS X OSes to even truly discuss here. All of them offer significant advantages to what we had for 16+ years etc. etc.

The ommissions that apple made kicking OS X out the door, are nearly unforgiveable, especially since they wiil, for the most part, be fixed in the near future...but I guess it was the choice between the normal Apple late launching yet another OS bad press or the New OS Launched, but missing features bad press

kps111
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2001, 02:17 PM

The Install:

System is a G4(AGP) with 128mg RAM , 2 int. HDD, old legacy SCSI drives, old Apple CD-ROM, ZIP and scanner connected through an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card.

Step one: Used Silverlining pro to wipe old 4.8 G partition containing OS X Public Beta, same for wiping clean a 600mg OS 9.0.4 partition updated to 9.1

Step two: Booted into a spare OS 9 partition on slave drive, installed OS 9.1 from CD that came with OS X. Shutdown. Disconnected Ethernet, and SCSI chain. (big mistake)

Step Three: booted into new OS 9.1, set up TCP/IP for @Home cable , inserted OS X CD and started installation. Install failed, the cursor and instalation froze. Hard reboot with 'option' key and selected OS 9.1 partition. Read the "READ ME FIRST" file on OSX CD. Cursed myself silly and plugged the SCSI chain back in and reconnected the Ethernet. Rebooted and strangely enough it commenced to install OS X immediately.

Step four: Installation completed in about 15 min followed by a reboot. Watched the welcome movie and did the registration and initial machine set up. Used the Assistant to set up networking.

Step five: Launched IE and connected to iTools, mounted my iDisk and downloaded iToones, AppleWorks 6.1 update and other software. Installed new software. Started Photoshop in classic to check performance while using IE, Appleworks, iToones and other apps.

Initial impressions:

The Good: Recognised and mounted my SCSI disks including the removable. (no more SCSI probe). Recognised the Epsom 740 printer. So far, so good, classic works fine, I've had no system problems or software related crashes.

The Bad: Only somewhat faster than the beta. Got a kernel panic when attempting to use an old SCSI Apple CD ROM. System Profiler's Devices and Volumes shows all volumes but fails to identify the devices. Font Manager app seems to be missing. The learning curve yet to come.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2001, 02:20 PM

Oh yeah, and my Micro-Connectors USB keyboard needs unplugging and re-plugging when booting to OS X, otherwise my mouse (Apple Optical) won't work.

Apple really wants to keep their blood clean of third party USB keyboards? geez, I'll buy an Apple keyboard when
they bring the friggin POWER BUTTON back!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Bergbackstage
Mar 25, 2001, 02:36 PM

Hey everone, I was wondering if somone could help me. My "install story and initial reaction" is this: Installation worked fine. But when I try to boot into OS X, I get the welcome screen with progress bar, followed by a blue screen that wont go away. The mouse pointer switches between an arrow and a spinning cd for hours. I've tried doing clean installs, installing on a non-erased disk, installing on the first partition, installing on the seccond partition. I have a B&W G3 300 with 0S 9.1 on one partition and the other partion awaiting OS X. Please help me. I've been looking foward using OS X for a long time. This is most frustrating.

neocyberdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2001, 03:54 PM

My Hardware:

Beige G3 MT A/V, 333 Mhz, 128 MB, 20 GB HD, Western Digital Firewire card

My Story:

I'd been using the public beta as my main OS since it became available. I had not installed any interim builds. My HD was not partitioned. I planned on installing OS X and 9.1 on the same partition and just move all my old stuff into a folder. I got 9.1 installed (clean)--no problem. When I started the OS X install, my HD was dimmed out so I could not install to it. I messed with this for some time, and eventually put my old 6 GB HD back in, copied all my files (52,167 of them) to it and repartitioned the 20 GB drive. First I chose UFS for the OS X partition, but the OS X install couldn't see it. I then reformatted again with HFS+, and OS X finally saw the partition. I installed it and it was dirt slow. In some ways slower than the public beta, but faster in others. Two big problems--Classic did not work, and trying to choose a startup disk caused a kernel panic every time. Pain-in-the-butt problem: My OS X partition kept renaming itself to "/" I reformatted again, keeping HFS+ for the install. Now Classic works, but choosing a startup disk still freezes the system. I think this has to do with the mixture of apple/non-apple hard drives. Sometimes my old drive is visible in X, sometimes not. The speed of this install is the same as the UFS install.

Cool stuff: I like the universal spell check (which I discovered while typing this). It seems to multitask better than the beta. I like the customizable toolbars in the finder, and the well-integrated iDisk.

Annoying stuff: The root user seems to be gone--I can't login or su to root anymore. I was trying to empty my trash and I had insufficient privileges to do so. I had deleted some files from my OS X beta that were owned by root. The only way to get rid of these files was to boot back into 9.1 and delete them from there. I can't print... This is really pissing me off. Apple says my machine is supported, right? Apparently no printing for serial-port connected printers. If my machine is supported I should be able to print, if not, then tell my before I buy OS X. I haven't found a way yet to get the contents of my mailbox transferred from the old Mail.app to the new one. I think they changed the location of the files, and because of the root user being gone, I can only copy these from 9.1.

I'm disappointed. It looks nice and it's stable, but I wouldn't recommend installing it on older G3s...

muchfresh
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2001, 06:04 PM

PowerBook G3 500Mhz firewire 256MB

Installation - Awesome. very EZ no problems. Slower install than OS 9.1

Simply the easiest to configure computer OS I have ever used!

iDisk and mac.com mail integration - great, very cool!

multitasking much better than OS9 but still a dog compared to Win2K. Spinning disk too often

UI is not very responsive especially window/colum resizing

UNIX comapatability is really good. EZ config + UNIX is unbelievable.

App launching slow. document opening slow. Neither deal killers but still slow

glad they included dev tools. I really wish I could find a good book on OSX development

mail, itunes, IE not very stable

QuickTime plaback OK. QT stutters when other activity going on. for instance browsing in IE, genie effect, dock magnification.

Very stable, no crashes. sleep/wake work perfectly doesn't matter what the computer is doing! hot plugging CD-R no problem. Applications crash but the OS and finder never crash.

Classic - never have never will

Java doesn't work at all in IE

'Satisfy the urge and discover the need' Q-Tip

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2001, 06:31 PM

bergbackstage,

Try pulling any 3rd-party RAM. Not sure if it'll work, but you never know.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

k2man
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2001, 12:10 AM

Installed on a PB 500 Pismo, 384 megs RAM. Installed right over existing 9.1, no partitions, no second HDs, etc.

Install took about 15-20 minutes, but went smooth.

IMPRESSIONS
This OS is a great step for Apple. It's extremely promising, and it's going to evolve (sooner than later) until a major weapon for the Mac. Here's why:

1) it **is** slower than 9.1, but not that much. Yes, it takes about 2-3x as long to load apps, but it's not like I spend all day loading 'em, so a few extra seconds doesn't bother me. And yes, window resizing lags a bit, but again, so what? We're talking window resizing here--not exactly the best benchmark for rating an operating system. The fact is, this is a brand new OS and it's going to need tuning and honing. It doesn't just spring forth from the womb in a perfect state. With said optimizing over the next several months, speed increases will come, and they will be noticable.
Finally, OS X will grow into new hardware as it becomes available. We're going to be looking at 1Ghz DP G4s by the end of the year, guys. Frankly, for an OS expect to carry us the next 10-15 years, I don't really care if it doesn't run very well on some guy's 266Mhz G3 with 192 megs of RAM today. That machine will be a distant memory in the not-so-distant future. Better that OS X does some things that might strain current middle of the road systems, but gives us major gains (like Quartz/live PDF) that we're going enjoy for a long time going forward.

2) Classic took about the same time to load my original 9.1. All my apps ran in it, maybe 5-10% slower than 9.1 native. Again, that's plenty fast to get things done.

3) Still, I'm not using X as my native OS since none of my apps have been carbonized, and i don't like loading X, and then loading Classic as well. But as soon as Office and Final Cut are carbonized, I'm switching over.

It's unfortunate that some people are having installation problems and kernel panics, etc. But again, this is a brand new OS and there are a ton of different Macs configurations out there, I really believe it's impossible to ensure a smooth xtition for everyone. But if you can view X as stepping stone, and not the final destination, and have faith that it will get significantly optimized (video drivers too!) this year, and all the native apps will start appearing, then it's hard to deny it's a huge gain for Apple (multitasking, Quartz, protected memory, all the networking support, the custimizable Finder, etc. etc.).

atunnell
Mar 26, 2001, 12:26 AM

I loaded OSX on the following boxen:
iMac rev D with 192RAM
cube 500mhz, 640RAM
ibook 366mhz, 320RAM

Did a fresh install "aka wipped the drive, loaded OS 9.1, then OSX"
I am loving it, everything works well. App launch is slow, i am lixing with it but wish it was faster. So have we figured out the best way to install from scratch? OS 9.1 or OSX first or what? Does it make no difference?

------------------
--------------------------------
Aaron Tunnell
Virginia Tech
Techology Education
Cube.640.40.GF2.15"
ibook indigo 320.Air
Imac rev. D 192.6
--------------------------------

Aldie G
Mar 27, 2001, 04:20 AM

Let's continue the bouncemarks. I think they are a fair way to measure application launching speed.

I'm on an iMac DVSE Graphite, 400 mhz, 128 mb RAM.

Launching Mail > 4 bounches
Launching Terminal > 3 bounches
Launching iTunes > 10 bounches.

Overall, I think it's not much slower then OS 9.1

Forum Links
Forum Rules