Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how to exorcise InternetEvil

how to exorcise InternetEvil
macunix
Apr 23, 2001, 11:29 AM

no matter how many times i select OmniWeb in Internet Prefs, IE always comes
up as default. so i read about editing DefaultHelperApps.plist. i did this
nad removed all mention of IE, restarted, and it came up AGAIN as default.
it must be stored in another prefs file - any suggestions?? tom

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2001, 01:38 PM

when does IE come up? in what app? etc...
what do you do that causes the browser to launch?

if you use mail.app which i don't, i use eudora instead, check in that app's preferences. look for "file helpers" or something to that effect.
whatever app you are using is trumping the internet prefs. (most likely). this little trick goes for any app, mostly internet apps have a preference for file helpers, but i'm sure other apps do as well.

the internet prefs thing has always been a joke, in terms of both function and security. that is why i never use it, and when MS apps force me to put something in the email field(in os9), i cordially fill it in as follows:

[email protected]

damn microcrap software, making me fill in something i don't want to, if i wanted anyone on the web to have access to my email address i'd send em a message.

neocyberdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2001, 03:53 PM

My suggestion: Delete IE. :-) That's what I did. Since then I've had few problems... There have been a couple of instances where it still tried to launch it, and interestingly enough, the ICON still existed because it would briefly appear in the dock, then disappear. Perhaps M$ persuaded Jobs to make his "browser of choice" a more integral part of the OS. I have NEVER been able to get OmniWeb to stick in the preferences as default browser, BTW.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2001, 04:03 PM

UFS has real trouble with alias links and I can't get Eudora OS X to work with IE when I click on a url - nada. So for now, I'm back in Mail.app.

In 9.1 I have multiple drives and I can't get Eudora to open the correct one (it selects the one from my OS X drive that has an identical copy of "Users" I now use in 9.1 also. I know because I can see which icon, and because one of them has the preferred for IE set to 128MB (about what 10.01 needs, and big complex tables from Amazon and other sites don't freeze as long or as often (seems to be a bug as of Jan related to latest MRJ and 9.1 maybe).

256 Internet E 2.5% 1:52:44 9 467 1100 153M 124M 233M 300M

5-6 hrs online just using IE and save/print articles on BSD and I have 10MB free of my 640MB.

PhysMem: 54.7M wired, 284M active, 291M inactive, 630M used, 10.4M free
VM: 1.30G + 43.1M 11706(0) pageins, 1994(0) pageouts

Gregory

macunix  (op)
Apr 23, 2001, 04:57 PM

>My suggestion: Delete IE. :-) That's what I did. Since then I've had few problems.
my advice to anyone installing macOS has always been 'first delete all the
msft stuff' but i thought i'd give it a shot on X-mistake. since the
DefaultInternetApps.plist is for the whole machine i expect i have something
in users/tom/library/prefs that is raising up the IEvil-probably internet.config.plist
is ignoring what i do in SystemPreferences....tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules