Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Terminal command question...

Terminal command question...
Numenor
Dec 11, 2003, 01:34 AM

What does "view hidden" do? That is, what is it showing when I type that into my Terminal? I get some really weird warnings and stuff.... My OS is 10.3.1.

Maelman
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2003, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by Numenor:
What does "view hidden" do? That is, what is it showing when I type that into my Terminal? I get some really weird warnings and stuff.... My OS is 10.3.1.
'view' is a text editing program. If you want to literally view hidden files, then type 'ls -a'. Keep in mind that unix is not literal like, say, applescript.

drcarl
Dec 11, 2003, 02:38 AM

'view' is the command for the vi text editor in read-only mode (aka: vi -R). When you type 'view hidden', the vi text editor will open a text file named 'hidden' for you to view.

Type 'man view' or 'man vi' to read the manual for the vi text editor for more info.

If you want to use a text editor in Terminal, may I suggest using 'pico' rather than 'vi'. I find it's more user-friendly for the newbie.
--Dr. Carl--
iMac 800MHz 17"FP 80G HD 1G RAM
PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 15" 60G HD 768M RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules