Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Intel has arrived!

iMac Intel has arrived! (Page 5)
boombashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ravenz
Still nothing, over five hours later...I am going to call them tomorrow if I don't hear back.
Sorry to hear this, but I'm guessing this is just some vapor-ware from some scammers. I know you don't want to hear that, but judging from their web site design, they are some fly-by-night group. iEmulator.com seems to be another one of these sketchy groups illegally going against the open source license agreements and reselling it. It brings back the fond memories of Cherry OS that stole PEAR PC (which is free) and tried to re-sell it as their own. I assume this so called company is trying to "Sell" you an open source project that is already free called QEMU which is making some serious headway of getting their emulators ready for x86 Macs.

more info about the FREE QEMU - http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

ravenz  (op)
Jan 17, 2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by boombashi
Sorry to hear this, but I'm guessing this is just some vapor-ware from some scammers. I know you don't want to hear that, but judging from their web site design, they are some fly-by-night group. iEmulator.com seems to be another one of these sketchy groups illegally going against the open source license agreements and reselling it. It brings back the fond memories of Cherry OS that stole PEAR PC (which is free) and tried to re-sell it as their own. I assume this so called company is trying to "Sell" you an open source project that is already free called QEMU which is making some serious headway of getting their emulators ready for x86 Macs.

more info about the FREE QEMU - http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
Actually, these guys were at Macworld Expo. I walked past their booth (I'm fairly certain). That said, the Fink founder doesn't like them. They aren't giving full credit to the people that do some of work to make their business viable, it seems. When it comes to my order, I just think they are disorganized and don't have the customer service thing figured out. eCommerce without email auto-acknowledgement is pretty lame. I have no record of my order right now.

http://fink.sourceforge.net/pr/openosx.php

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2006, 08:22 PM

iEmulator.com seems to be another one of these sketchy groups illegally going against the open source license agreements and reselling it.
Don't insult people if you don't know what you're talking about.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money?
Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is part of the definition of free software. Except in one special situation, there is no limit on what price you can charge. (The one exception is the required written offer to provide source code that must accompany binary-only release.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

boombashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2006, 08:34 PM

Actually, these guys were at Macworld Expo. I walked past their booth (I'm fairly certain). That said, the Fink founder doesn't like them. I just think they are disorganized and don't have the customer service thing figured out. eCommerce without email auto-acknowledgement is pretty lame. I have no record of my order right now.

http://fink.sourceforge.net/pr/openosx.php
It's sad to say that being at a reputable trade show these days doesn't neccesarily mean that you have a reputable product - case in point the 6.8ghz Atom chip PC laptop and a 2TB laser harddrive the size of a CompactFlash card. These guys were at CES 2006 - http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page5.html and they claim their product is real. What about Phantom Gameing console, they are ACTUALLY a public company that was at E3 and they have no product to date - http://www.phantom.net/

I hope you get your product or at least your money back (take it up with your CC) but if they try to scam you, I really hope there is justice in this universe. There seems to be some much scamming going on with innocent people these days on the internet, it just makes me sick.

boombashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Don't insult people if you don't know what you're talking about.

Straight from the horse's mouth:
your right "illegal" was the wrong word - I really meant unethical. Unless they are legit and they are providing something much more than what is open to the public. They are profiting on other peoples hard-work, and unless they have something real to add and are a legit business suporting their customers, then it is okay. afterall the underpinnings of OS X was based on open source platforms.

[Edit] One more thing, not that they have "officially" done this yet, but taking peoples money and not delivering a product IS illegal, it's commonly referred to as stealing
( Last edited by boombashi; Jan 17, 2006 at 08:54 PM. )

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 08:50 PM

If I got scammed, I would register a domain, set up some simple hosting, and use a whole web site to blog about my experience. They wouldn't be around for much longer

toddtmw
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by aorenny
Thanks a lot Todd. Can you make a new key and encrypt / decrypt some files. It install contexual menu items to do that also. Second thing I use is the encyrpted disk image, similar to OSX's dmg images. I don't care about Mail.app integration or ichat integration. File operations and disk operations are ctirial for me.

Again thanks a lot, I am so happy so far.
It doesn't seem to work. When I launch the PGP app, it presents a window with a padlock that says "Starting PGP" with a little spinner. The spinner spins and spins, but nothing happens. It never finishes getting "Started". I think this is one of the apps that DOESN'T work.

-Todd
The moderators in this forum have too much time on their hands.

ravenz  (op)
Jan 17, 2006, 09:50 PM

It's sad to say that being at a reputable trade show these days doesn't neccesarily mean that you have a reputable product - case in point the 6.8ghz Atom chip PC laptop and a 2TB laser harddrive the size of a CompactFlash card. These guys were at CES 2006 - http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page5.html and they claim their product is real. What about Phantom Gameing console, they are ACTUALLY a public company that was at E3 and they have no product to date - http://www.phantom.net/

I hope you get your product or at least your money back (take it up with your CC) but if they try to scam you, I really hope there is justice in this universe. There seems to be some much scamming going on with innocent people these days on the internet, it just makes me sick.
Those of us that purchased this software today in hopes of getting Windows working on the Intel iMac may be in for a rough road...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...edback&vid=All

openosxsucks.com and ihateopenosx.com are both available!

fnj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2006, 11:38 PM

Nothing really useful to contribute here except to say that my 17" iMac iNtel just arrived - 2 days ealrier than Apple's estimate when I placed my order. So far so good!

HouseSold
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 12:33 AM

Duplicate

HouseSold
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by fnj

Nothing really useful to contribute here except to say that my 17" iMac iNtel just arrived - 2 days ealrier than Apple's estimate when I placed my order. So far so good!
Share for all of us, the order date, date you were notified shipped and when you received it .

Also what configuration (memory, special configuration, etc)

Thanks and congrats.

Be sure to share experiences such as fan noise, temperature, speed and wireless reception strength.

jtwiskowski
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 04:45 AM

I ordered Jan 10, 2006 at 10:57 AM PST according to Apple. And have had an estimated ship by date of Jan 18, 2006. Many people have ordered after me, yet have already received theirs. Mine is a CTO, but so were many others that shipped before mine.

I ordered...

iMac 20"
ATI Radeon X1600-256MB SDRAM
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM-1x1GB
250GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive 8X
iWork '06
Keyboard & Mighty Mouse

Just thought I would let those waiting now, I am waiting as well!

aorenny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by toddtmw
It doesn't seem to work. When I launch the PGP app, it presents a window with a padlock that says "Starting PGP" with a little spinner. The spinner spins and spins, but nothing happens. It never finishes getting "Started". I think this is one of the apps that DOESN'T work.

-Todd

Bummer. Thanks for trying. Hopefully they will release an update for it.

Farfarello
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 06:32 AM

Ok, more tests...

I attempted to boot the following operating systems all in three ways, boot with C key, boot with Option key, and attempt to select it from Startup Disk system preferences.

All tests FAILED.

Ubuntu 5.04 Live CD
Ubuntu 5.04 Install CD
Windows XP 2002 Edition Install CD
SUSE Linux 9.3 Professional Install DVD
SUSE Linux 9.3 Professional Install CD
Solaris 10 x86 03/05 Edition Install DVD
Solaris 10 x86 03/05 Edition Install CD
ParitionMagic 8.0 Install CD

The reality is, I'd prefer to run these OS'es in a virtual machine anyway and stay within Mac OS X. I think we're in a holding pattern now until VMWare or a similar solution is updated to support the iMac Intel.
A Problem with a virtual machine is for example that you can't start Apps that need 3D, like most of the Windows Games.

Maybe you can check if Windows Vista (beta) will work.

fnj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by HouseSold
Share for all of us, the order date, date you were notified shipped and when you received it .

Also what configuration (memory, special configuration, etc)

Thanks and congrats.

Be sure to share experiences such as fan noise, temperature, speed and wireless reception strength.
My configuration is as follows:

Graphics Card 065-6295 ATI Radeon X1600-128MB
SDRAM.
Memory 065-6194 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM-2x512
Hard Drive 065-6158 160GB Serial ATA drive
Optical Drive 065-6159 SuperDrive 8x
Modem 065-6201 None
Apple Software Solutions 065-6200 None
MAC OS LANGUAGE 065-6163 WL Kybd-Mse & Mac OS X
Country Kit and BT/AP 065-6155 Country Kit

I live just outside of Washington, DC and I ordered on January 11. My order confirmation indicated an estimated arrival date of January 19. On the evening of January 15, I received a tracking number from Apple for FedEx. When I checked on the 16th, my order had shipped from Shanghai. I checked again yesterday morning before going to work and saw that the package had reached Anchorage, Alaska. Later yesterday morning, unbelievably, I received a call from my kids' nanny saying that I had a package!

It amazes me that the machine made it to me from Shanghai in less than 3 days (of course the time difference and crossing the international date line may have had something to do with that )

fnj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 07:12 AM

Sorry, forgot to add that I have only played with it for a few hours and I'm a switcher (yeah!), so I don't have any comparison data with the G5 for heat or noise. All I can say is that it is much quieter than my WinXP machine which I use to heat part of my home!

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 08:34 AM

Hey OP and others who have received their Intel iMacs: could you stop by this thread and post a list of which of your peripherals work/don't work?

sebaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 09:12 AM

On here: http://digg.com/apple/Run_Windows_%2..._Native_Speed_

Somebdy details a way to get Windows and OSX to install and boot of a PC. Apparently OSX needs to be on the 2nd partition. Could it possibly work? Who knows..I'm just passing on the message

According to the install docs here that I used, MacOSX needs to be on the 2nd partition.

Here is what I did to dual-boot on a BIOS PC:

1) Boot off of the OSX DVD

2) Go into the Disk Utility

3) Delete all of the partitions on the drive

4) Created 2 partitions. Since this PC had a 20Gig "C" drive and an 80Gig "D" drive, I created the following partitions on C:

a) The first Patition I set to "Free Space" under the MacOS Instal Disk Utility.
The 2nd partition I set to MAC Journaled

5) Wrote the partitions, and then exited the Disk Utility back to the normal OSX install

6) Installed OSX to the 2nd partition (Mac Journaled)

7) When the install was finished, but BEFORE rebooting, I put in the Windows install CD (in your case I believe that you HAVE to have a Vista install disc since you are doing this with the EFI version)

Of course, step 7 assumes that the PC can boot off of the DVD Drive - simple enough to setup in BIOS. I have no clue as to how it works in EFI

8) Windows install starts. The partitions I think were listed as

a) unpartitioned space
Partition-1 (unknown)

either that or they were:

a) Partition-1 (unknown)
Partition-2 (unknown)

or something like that. This is from memory.

Actually, I believe that they were listed like the first example. Then I formatted the 1st partition using NTFS (quick)

9) When it was done I believe that the partition tables were presented to me as something like

E: Partition-1 (unknown)
C: Partition-2 (unknown)

I hit F3 to exit the setup and reboot the computer. The PC Rebooted off of the WinXP CD. When it asked for which partition to install windows on, the partition table was *again* displayed as:

E: Partition-1 (unknown)
C: Partition-2 (unknown)

10) Once again I hit F3 to exit and reboot the PC. Again it booted off of the WinXP CD. THIS time the partitions read like so:

C: NTFS
E: Partition-2 (unknown)

IIRC. Why it took 2 reboots to get this I don't know. But it did, so there... :-)

11) SO, I installed windows on the FIRST partition.

12) XP finishes copying install files, and then the setup reboots. Upon rebooting it boots off of the WinXP CD, and continues on with the full WinXP install.

13) After the full install is done, I believe it puts you right into windows (very ugly cause there are no video drivers in place). On another CD I burned a copy of the video drivers for the MB and a copy of Acronis Disk Director Suite. I installed both.

14) I ran Acronis's OS Selector. It scanned my disks and found 2 bootable OSes. The first was WindowsXP and the 2nd was unknown, so I renamed it MacOSx86

15) Once you run Acronis OS Selector it installs a bootloader onto the PC (like Grub), only the Acronis bootloader gives you a graphical boot menu, and it has many more boot options (if you leave a bootable CD-Rom in the drive it will recognize it and add it to it's boot menu for that boot. If you have a FW drive attached that is bootable, OS Selector will recognize that as well, add a menu choice for it, and allow you to boot from that). So at this point I instaled the video drivers and rebooted.

Upon bootup I get the Acronis OS Selector GUI. From there I can boot into WinXP or MacOSX. Both OSes seem to perform very well.

ravenz  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 09:17 AM

Those of us that purchased this software today in hopes of getting Windows working on the Intel iMac may be in for a rough road...
I finally received my order for WinTel 2.0. I am dowloading now and hope to have screenshots of Windows running on my Intel iMac (although in a VM) sometime today.

toddtmw
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 10:04 AM

I finally received my order for WinTel 2.0. I am dowloading now and hope to have screenshots of Windows running on my Intel iMac (although in a VM) sometime today.
I guess it's possible, but have you read your whole e-mail? After you downlaod the encrypted disk image, then you have to send them an e-mail again for a password to decrypt it. If it took 24 hours to send you the link, how long do you think it will take to send the password.

I sent them an e-mail asking that they cancel my order. I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you.

-Todd
The moderators in this forum have too much time on their hands.

ururk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 10:31 AM

Heres some SWEET information about EFI, and how to "enable" an EFI shell:

http://nak.journalspace.com/?cmd=dis...07&entryid=407

badnewsblair
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 10:52 AM

I ordered mine last night!
I am so excited. This is my first new computer in 3 years and though that is actually pretty short for me, I have had to watch Apple release all these new goodies and hold out every time!

I think I made the right decision on when to jump this time!

My configuration is as follows:

iMac 20-inch 2GHz Intel Core Duo
ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 1x1GB
250GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English

With this computer, that will be two Revision A purchases. I guess I am "one of those people" now officially.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

ravenz  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by toddtmw
I guess it's possible, but have you read your whole e-mail? After you downlaod the encrypted disk image, then you have to send them an e-mail again for a password to decrypt it. If it took 24 hours to send you the link, how long do you think it will take to send the password.

I sent them an e-mail asking that they cancel my order. I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you.

-Todd
I have the encryption password already. Unfortunately, I am at my office right now. I am running home for a bit to test this - they are claiming 10-20x speed improvement over an iMac G5 for Windows!

amarkworth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 11:21 AM

My new 17" iMac 1GB RAM arrived yesterday and it seems to be working great. Garageband is really a quantum leap over what it was on my old PB G4 1.33. I had to install x11 so I could use Gimp, but it went flawlessly and Gimp just flies. Anyway, I seem to have one little green dot on my screen that won't go away. Is that a dead pixel? I've owned 2 powerbooks and never had one so I don't know what a dead pixel actually looks like. Is there a way to massage them out or will I have to live with it? It's right in the middle of the lower right corner of the screen and it really ticks me off. Does any one else's new Intel iMacs have any dots like this?

17" iMac 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM / 160GB Serial ATA drive / 8x DL SuperDrive / ATI Radeon X1600-128MB SDRAM

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit."

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 11:22 AM

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know if the Cisco VPN client will work under Rosetta? This tool is very essential on "work from home" days and after hours system maintenance.

My theory is that it will NOT work since it uses kernel extensions to operate. Does anyone else use the Cisco VPN client and know if it will work?

I actually have a possible workaround using a linux box as a vpn client gateway, but his is an ugly hack and would take at least a few hours to test and implement.

This is the only real show stopper for me.

If anyone who has an intel iMac could test this for me, it would be greatly appreciated!

-jimbo

HouseSold
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by amarkworth
My new 17" iMac 1GB RAM arrived yesterday and it seems to be working great. Garageband is really a quantum leap over what it was on my old PB G4 1.33. I had to install x11 so I could use Gimp, but it went flawlessly and Gimp just flies. Anyway, I seem to have one little green dot on my screen that won't go away. Is that a dead pixel? I've owned 2 powerbooks and never had one so I don't know what a dead pixel actually looks like. Is there a way to massage them out or will I have to live with it? It's right in the middle of the lower right corner of the screen and it really ticks me off. Does any one else's new Intel iMacs have any dots like this?
Get a copy of Pixel Tester from MacBackup or VersionTracker and test all the colors. Massaging does work sometimes, but be cautious, since the display surface is less flexible than say your Powerbook. It is better with a very clean thumb, to try pressing and rolling back and forth with medium pressure, not reubbing. You could use a latex glve on your hand too. Become a Pixel Dr..
Let us know how you make out with the pixel.

ravenz  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 11:52 AM

I have the encryption password already. Unfortunately, I am at my office right now. I am running home for a bit to test this - they are claiming 10-20x speed improvement over an iMac G5 for Windows!
Ok, I am home now testing WinTel 2.0. I have Windows XP installer running in the virtual machine right now, but it is painfully slow. Let's hope OS performance is better after the XP installation finishes. I already emailed the vendor for advice - it looks to me like Bochs is still emulating a Pentium through the PowerPC instruction set and that this isn't going to help performance, although the vendor adamantly claims it's using a native Intel instruction set for the VM and that performance will be 10-20x. We'll see. Maybe my settings are tuned too low.

At least Windows is booting up. I think this is the first VM to work on an Intel Mac!

I've posted a screenshot:

http://homepage.mac.com/ravenzachary/PhotoAlbum1.html

More updates coming after this finishes the installation...
( Last edited by ravenz; Jan 18, 2006 at 12:02 PM. )

LagunaSol
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 12:01 PM

Ok, I am home now testing WinTel 2.0. I have Windows XP installer running in the virtual machine right now, but it is painfully slow. Let's hope OS performance is better after the XP installation finishes.

At least Windows is booting up. I think this is the first VM to work on an Intel Mac!

I've posted a screenshot:

http://homepage.mac.com/ravenzachary/PhotoAlbum1.html

More RAM in your iMac couldn't hurt.

ravenz  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by LagunaSol
More RAM in your iMac couldn't hurt.
yeah, yeah, yeah...

It's on backorder.

mark.s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 12:16 PM

Hiya,

Long time lurker... this is my first post :-)

The OpenOSXWinTel application in your screenshot says it's a PowerPC application. Don't you think that's a little strange, when it's supposed to be running natively on Intel Macs?

Sorry to say it, but this whole OpenOSX business smells fishy to me.

Good luck, I'm really curious to see what sort of performance you get out of it.

Mark

ravenz  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by mark.s
Hiya,

Long time lurker... this is my first post :-)

The OpenOSXWinTel application in your screenshot says it's a PowerPC application. Don't you think that's a little strange, when it's supposed to be running natively on Intel Macs?

Sorry to say it, but this whole OpenOSX business smells fishy to me.

Good luck, I'm really curious to see what sort of performance you get out of it.

Mark
Look at the info window to the left of it - Bochs is compiled as Intel. The OpenOS X launcher only controls preferences, I think.

I'm still only at 11% installed!

buffswin
Jan 18, 2006, 12:22 PM

Look at the info window to the left of it - Bochs is compiled as Intel. The OpenOS X launcher only controls preferences, I think.

I'm still only at 11% installed!

11%...

Because its through an emulator? or because it is Windows?

mark.s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 12:24 PM

I did notice that, just found it strange that they'd target PowerPC for an application that is obviously only going to be running on Intel Macs (even if it is only the launcher/prefs app).

sebaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 12:26 PM

Emulator most likely....the text portion of the setup in window where it copies its relatively pretty fast. Maybe slows down a bit when it has copy the .cabs file like drivers.cab..

LagunaSol
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 12:28 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about the install time, since installing Windows on a real PC takes forever too.

I really hope this works or some other VM method appears soon, but even more (for the short term) I'd like to see someone figure out the EFI/BIOS booting issue. I'd love to just pull the hard drive out of my PC, throw it in an external enclosure, and be able to dual-boot to it from an Intel iMac. At least until VM is polished. The dual-boot solution would let me dump my PC and PowerMac and order my iMac now.

ravenz  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by sebaz
Emulator most likely....the text portion of the setup in window where it copies its relatively pretty fast. Maybe slows down a bit when it has copy the .cabs file like drivers.cab..
At 22% now.

After it finishes the install process, I am going to quit WinTel 2.0 and tweak the Emulated IPS and VGA Update prefs. I may have set them too low as to create an artificial bottleneck.

Irregardless, don't expect your mom to run Windows XP on her Intel iMac anytime soon. This process required a lot of steps.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea

Hahah. So you guys are telling that you're running Windows on x86 by:

Running OS X on Intel with a PowerPC application running through Rosetta controlling an x86 native x86 emulator.

At least it's better than nothing I suppose, assuming it does really work.

Voch
Mac Elite

Originally Posted by sebaz
The copying of drivers.cab is a biggie, if memory serves. I just did an XP install on an old PIII/700 notebook a few nights ago.

This would be fantastic if Bochs worked well. I'd love to have XMLSpy running in a virtual PC of some sorts on my MacBook Pro (not on order yet ).

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Running OS X with a PowerPC application running through Rosetta controlling an Intel native emulator.
I think the Bochs engine is Intel-native but the front end stuff is not.

Voch

ravenz  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 12:31 PM

The vendor claims it's a native Intel instruction set emulation at 10-20x performance boost over an iMac G5. So far, this seems to be incorrect.

The launcher app for preferences is running through Rosetta, but Bochs, the emulator itself, is native Intel. From what I've seen, Bochs may be native Intel, but I think it's still emulating a PowerPC instruction set for x86 emulation. I'm waiting for the vendor to respond to my recent support email.

I actually think it's possible that the vendor assumes a recompile of the MacBochs source code with the Intel flag turned on magically makes this faster!

(Yeah, it's stuck on driver.cab at 27% right now, as Voch predicted. Hopefully, it'll jump way past 27% when it finishes this file.)
( Last edited by ravenz; Jan 18, 2006 at 12:39 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 12:43 PM

Sounds like Bochs is emulating an x86 processor. To my knowledge, that's all it's ever done. It's not like VMware or Virtual PC for Windows where it lets instructions run directly on your hardware. I don't think OpenOSX really know what they are talking about.
Chuck
___

ravenz  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 12:44 PM

OpenOSX Support Exchange #1

ravenz: I have an Intel iMac - will WinTel run well on this system?
openosx: Yes

ravenz: Does it use Rosetta or is it Intel-native?
openosx: The Intel calls are native.

OpenOSX Support Exchange #2

ravenz: I think it is still emulating the PowerPC instruction set, opposed to native Intel instruction set, correct? (before this question I ask about the emulation it's using, not the application binary type)
openosx: It is not emulating the PowerPC calls, the Intel instructions are native.

ravenz: If this is the case, having a Universal Binary won't actually make it run Windows much faster than running it on an iMac G5, for instance.
openosx: It runs about 10 to 20 times faster on an iMac Intel versus an iMac G5.

OpenOSX Support Exchange #3 (waiting for response)

I told them that performance sucks (although a bit more diplomatically than that).
( Last edited by ravenz; Jan 18, 2006 at 12:53 PM. )

ravenz  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Sounds like Bochs is emulating an x86 processor. To my knowledge, that's all it's ever done. It's not like VMware or Virtual PC for Windows where it lets instructions run directly on your hardware. I don't think OpenOSX really know what they are talking about.
Agreed! I think they are confusing PowerPC/Intel native calls for the binary to PowerPC/Intel native calls for the emulator when I ask them questions.

A 10-20x speed boost over iMac G5 is extremely hard to believe.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 01:00 PM

Agreed! I think they are confusing PowerPC/Intel native calls for the binary to PowerPC/Intel native calls for the emulator when I ask them questions.
I doubt it's emulating a PowerPC that's emulating an x86 or something wacky like that. That would be silly. From my understanding of how Bochs works, it's emulating an x86 on top of your x86 chip, the same as it would do on a PowerPC or Itanium or anything else. The fact that the processor emulated and the processor emulating it are the same architecture doesn't necessarily mean it'll be fast.

As for how much faster: I don't really trust OpenOSX, but 10x faster could still be dog slow. Bochs has never run anything except DOS well.
Chuck
___

ravenz  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 01:03 PM

I did receive a response from VMWare just now. I emailed them last night, asking if they intend to release VMWare for Intel Macs.

Their response...

"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not provide information in advance of an official press release. My only suggestion is to stay tuned to our website for further details."

Sounds like an affirmative couched in discretion, to me.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 01:08 PM

I've also heard the QEMU Accelerator is being ported to OS X, which should provide very nice speed.
Chuck
___

Fdanna
Jan 18, 2006, 01:25 PM

I'm in the same building as Vmware... wish I could get chummy with someone who can give me answers :-)

ravenz  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 01:31 PM

Only at 72%.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 01:47 PM

Getting closer....

ravenz  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
Getting closer....
93% - I've wasted too much time on this already.

LagunaSol
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 02:09 PM

93% - I've wasted too much time on this already.
You're doing a good deed for your fellow man.

Forum Links
Forum Rules