Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Update fails unless admin

Update fails unless admin
towb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 07:02 AM

Letting DL install an update will fail if it's installed in a folder (/Applications) where you don't have write permissions (non-admin user). afair the downloaded .dmg goes to waste, too.

It should ask for authentication or at least give a better error message and allow to save the download.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 09:49 AM

Your words are wasted here. Tell the developer.

Chris

towb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 10:02 AM

Since I got here via a mail from the company I thought they read this forum. Wrong?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 10:27 AM

Oops. I'm 100% wrong. Sorry about that. This IS their forum.

Chris

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 05:00 PM

Haha, yes we do indeed read the forum, though a direct email never hurts either.

Two things come into play here. The first is you can't overwrite applications in the shared Applications directory if you're not an administrator. At least according to the permissions model, if you're running on your own machine and you're not the administrator, you're supposed to be running personal applications in the user applications folder.

When users run as a non-administrator, but try to do a file task that requires administrative access, the file system silently fails, rather than doing what it should do, which is prompt you to authenticate.

In order to work around Apple's bug, we'd have to implement a whole file system handler thing to seek administrative access and so forth for what is ultimately a pretty benign bug whose workaround is both easy and obvious. That is, download the newest version of the application from the website and drag it over in the finder, which does allow authenticated overrides for moving files.

So, it's basically gone on the list of feature requests where it competes with all the other feature requests, as described in other threads.

towb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 01:44 PM

In spite of the problem's unimportance I do feel brushed off, especially by the far-fetched technical explanation. Other apps do it, so it can't be that hard. I'd even be satisfied with a better quality error message.

Anyway, if you added a new feature request at the bottom of the list, might as well make it "use Sparkle framework for updates".

Forum Links
Forum Rules