Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Does last AppleTV release have ability to "Play DVD"?

Does last AppleTV release have ability to "Play DVD"?
Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2008, 11:06 PM

I am thinking of trying store my DVD collection away and I was wanting to make it available on an External Drive and give me a reason to buy an AppleTV.
What I would like to do is rip my DVDs with full menu and in DVD quality, I know this is huge but I am not worried about space.
I have never sat down with an AppleTV yet, does it look like Front Row? In Front Row, I have the ability to go to "Movies" and then "Movies Folder" and then click on the folder I created with the VIDEO_TS, which is just an alias on my computer that points to my external share, it plays just like it was a regular DVD.

REALLY hoping I will get the same results with AppleTV and be able to pack away these DVDs for awhile.

Thanks and sorry if this was covered, Everything I find on the net seems to be from last year and MacNN only seems to have 3 pages of discussions.

Thanks again
Who reads this???

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 12:11 AM

Nope... Apple TV does not natively play DVD's via a VIDEO_TS folder. I believe there may be hacks out there to do so, but I don't really know for sure. Your best bet is to create H.264 encoded MP4 files using Handbrake.
( Last edited by Atheist; Jul 3, 2008 at 12:28 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2008, 12:16 AM

Handbrake FTW.

Works great.

-t

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 3, 2008, 12:25 AM

I agree...I did essentially the same thing. I encoded all my DVDs using Handbrake and the Apple TV preset, and it works quite well. I have all my movies on an external Firewire drive connected to an old iMac (see sig) which is acting like an "iTunes server." I encode on my MacBook and transfer the resulting file to the iMac external drive. The streaming works very well, even though the iMac is connected to the network wirelessly through an Airport Express 802.11n.

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2008, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

Don't you miss the menus and special features when you just rip the movie itself? I was hoping I would be able to keep those.

I guess I could rip the special features aswell and just keep them in the same folder for when I do want to play them.

Thanks
Who reads this???

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 3, 2008, 06:37 PM

Miss them? I encode DVDs partially to get away from the special features and PREVIEWS.

My idea of a DVD: when you load it up and press "Play" it immediately jumps to the main feature. I've had DVDs where on loading, if you don't hit the menu button almost immediately, it launches into preview after preview after preview, and the only way to get out of the previews is to eject the disc.

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2008, 01:16 AM

Yea, I can agree with you on the previews but I do like the Special Features....Which are still available, it will just take longer to rip.
Who reads this???

fesdds
Jul 4, 2008, 11:30 PM

frdmfghtr,

So are the movies stored in iTunes or just on this external harddrive. I have the 160gig Apple TV and only have about 60gigs in my itunes library currently so it just syncs all of my entertainment. If you are not storing it in iTunes how do you get to it through the Apple TV? Sorry if this is an easy answer.

I agree Handbrake is great and I like just having the movie pop up and no other interferences to mess with.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2008, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by fesdds View Post
frdmfghtr,

So are the movies stored in iTunes or just on this external harddrive. I have the 160gig Apple TV and only have about 60gigs in my itunes library currently so it just syncs all of my entertainment. If you are not storing it in iTunes how do you get to it through the Apple TV? Sorry if this is an easy answer.

I agree Handbrake is great and I like just having the movie pop up and no other interferences to mess with.
Content MUST be in iTunes to sync to the Apple TV.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2008, 01:09 PM

90% of what I use my AppleTV for is watching my DVDs, ripped via Handbrake. It is the "killer feature" for me that made me buy it.

If you want full-function DVDs, you can do that with AppleTV too, but you have to hack it with a patchstick to make that work:

http://www.markandjo.com/markblog/?p=404
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules