Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > beware: "free" iphone apps may actually cost

beware: "free" iphone apps may actually cost
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2008, 04:16 PM

Hi All,

I needed to restore my new 3G iphone, and the apps didn't come back with the restore. I went to my local copy of iTunes to see my record of purchases (to make sure I didn't forget to download any) and I found that I was charged £2.99 for "Cube Runner", which is listed in the App store as being free.

It's only £3, but I'm only one person. How many others have downloaded a free app, only to be charged for it? Check your purchase histories.

Chas

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 04:37 PM

Listed as free here too.

Probably a glitch. Why don't you contact Apple? I'm sure they can reimburse you. I once called them because the iTS screwed up a purchase of mine and they were very courteous about it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 08:05 PM

Wow, what a scam; Apple needs to put an end to this fraud.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Wow, what a scam; Apple needs to put an end to this fraud.
sarcasm?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
sarcasm?
For mduell, no. I wasn't charged for it. Cube Runner isn't worth being charged for either.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2008, 08:51 PM

The whole concept of the App Store is wrong. If I buy a fridge, it's manufacturer has no business of controlling what I put in there. If I buy a car, it's between me and the gas station and not the Car manufacturer. If I buy software for a computer, pda, game console or whatever it's no business for anyone but me and the seller what I buy and where I install it, and if I want to install anything on my iPhone or iPod it is absolutely not Apple's business to file everything I install there in their databases!

-

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2008, 10:26 PM

Uhh, thats what Jailbreaking is for, right?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2008, 10:29 PM

..... then buy an instink!

Apple is trying to protect us from spyware, trojans etc on a PHONE!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2008, 10:33 PM

How about free iPhone apps, but use SMS. That costs money too if you don't have a SMS plan.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
The whole concept of the App Store is wrong. If I buy a fridge, it's manufacturer has no business of controlling what I put in there. If I buy a car, it's between me and the gas station and not the Car manufacturer. If I buy software for a computer, pda, game console or whatever it's no business for anyone but me and the seller what I buy and where I install it, and if I want to install anything on my iPhone or iPod it is absolutely not Apple's business to file everything I install there in their databases!

-
Apple can do whatever they want with it. It's their product. You don't have to use it.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
..... then buy an instink!

Apple is trying to protect us from spyware, trojans etc on a PHONE!
That's what you are supposed to believe but you have no reason to.

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ap.../us/terms.html:
APPLE DOES NOT REPRESENT OR GUARANTEE THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE FREE FROM LOSS, CORRUPTION, ATTACK, VIRUSES, INTERFERENCE, HACKING, OR OTHER SECURITY INTRUSION, AND APPLE DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY RELATING THERETO. PRODUCTS CAN ONLY BE DOWNLOADED ONCE; AFTER BEING DOWNLOADED, THEY CANNOT BE REPLACED IF LOST FOR ANY REASON. YOU SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR BACKING UP YOUR OWN SYSTEM, INCLUDING ANY PRODUCTS PURCHASED FROM THE SERVICE THAT ARE STORED IN YOUR SYSTEM.

Sorry for the all caps. Good night/morning.

-

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
Let's play quiz!

So let's say Elppa Fridge Inc. has started selling refrigerators that look a lot better than others and they come with some great new features that make them a lot easier to use. They aren't cheap. And from day one they tell you you will only be able to put items in your new Elppa Fridge that they have previously approved.

Your chance to win: do you...

A) go to ElppaNN.com forums and complain to many happy Elppa owners about the fact that Elppa fridges have this approving thing and it all sucks and it's an evil corporation and yaddayadda...

or

B) go to any other fridge manufacturer that doesn't have that Elppa approval thing and pick out the model you like best?

Are you sure picking A was the smart choice?

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 12:52 PM

I say again... an easy solution for Moonray's problem is Jailbreaking. No regulations, no oversight, no money. How could it get any better?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I say again... an easy solution for Moonray's problem is Jailbreaking. No regulations, no oversight, no money. How could it get any better?
Comes with the headache of having to keep up with the jailbreak vs. update vs. downgrade vs. upgrade vs. baseband versioning vs. bricking race, such as it is.

I'm all for other people doing that; don't get me wrong.

I myself can't be bothered with that kind of stuff anymore, and I appreciate (and am willing to accept the terms of) Apple's attempt to secure the walled garden of their new platform.

Then again, I've been a happy iTools/.mac/MobileMe subscriber since the early iTools days because I discovered the value of paying for services I find useful but can't be arsed to become an expert in.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 04:18 PM

^ agreed!

I realize that Apple's service structure isn't for everyone. For those people there are other options. I don't get the bitching about something you aren't forced to use, and have other options to fill in that gap. The best way to protest something is not to bitch on a random message board, but to hold your money and not give it to that company.

Forum Links
Forum Rules