Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Combo AV cable with USB cable for iPhone - Watch TV and charge iPhone simultaneously?

Combo AV cable with USB cable for iPhone - Watch TV and charge iPhone simultaneously?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2008, 11:34 PM

I saw some of these cables on eBay:

Are these only good for watching TV OR charging, or can you do both at the same time?

If you can only do one at a time, I'd rather just get two separate cables.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 04:47 AM

The Apple one can charge while you're using the iPhone to watch a movie (that's kind of the point, really).

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The Apple one can charge while you're using the iPhone to watch a movie (that's kind of the point, really).
???

I want to be able to watch a movie from the iPhone on a TV while charging the iPhone at the same time. Is that possible?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 01:59 PM

Yes, that's the point of this accessory.

The Apple one can do this.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2008, 01:31 PM

Hmmm... Finally found it. It's not listed under iPhone accessories, but it was in the iPod section only.

Connect an iPod or iPhone to your television with the Apple Component AV Cable, gather up your friends, and watch videos or slideshows together on the big screen. You can also connect the Component AV Cable to your stereo or powered speakers for a room-filling audio experience.

The Component AV Cable connects to your iPod, iPhone, or Universal Dock via the 30-pin dock connector and to your TV, home theater receiver, or stereo receiver via the component (Y, Pb, and Pr) video and red/white analog audio ports. The cable also features a USB connector that you can plug into a power source, such as a computer or the included USB Power Adapter.

Note: Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (third generation) and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution, and by iPod touch and iPhone at 480i or 576i resolution.

However, it's expensive at $50 (although that's because it includes a USB power adapter).

I've now read somewhere that there is a chip in the Apple cable. Is that true? Cuz if true that may mean that 3rd party AV cables won't work with the iPhone. Has anyone tried an eBay composite cable adapters with their iPhone (with or without the USB plug)? (There are no eBay component cable adapters like the Apple one.)

For the time being, I'd rather spend $15 (incl. shipping) on an eBay composite/stereo cable than $50 on an Apple component AV cable.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2008, 06:55 PM

Yes, there is a chip.

The iPod classic/touch/3G nano and iPhone won't output video to an external device if the chip doesn't explicitly tell it that it's capable of supporting those newer devices' output resolution.

The older minijack to composite cables that worked with iPods up to the 5.5G won't work with the new ones at all.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Yes, there is a chip.

The iPod classic/touch/3G nano and iPhone won't output video to an external device if the chip doesn't explicitly tell it that it's capable of supporting those newer devices' output resolution.
Lots of false advertising on eBhey then, since so many claim they work with the iPhone.

I wonder why these sellers are getting so many positive ratings then.

EDIT:

These things must work with the iPhone. I am seeing positive ratings from sellers who bought these for their iPhones. So perhaps it will work with the composite output but not component without the chip, which is why you don't see any non-Apple component ones on eBay.

The older minijack to composite cables that worked with iPods up to the 5.5G won't work with the new ones at all.
Yeah, my old composite cable for my 5G simply doesn't work.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2008, 09:26 PM

Well, I decided to risk 10 bucks and just ordered one off eBay.

Play music via your Hi-fi/ TV with this AV cable

View photos or watch video on TV or LCD

Compatible with:Apple iPod 5G iPod Video Classic 80GB 160GB 6th Gen Apple iPod Nano 3G 3rd Gen iPOD IPHONE 4GB 8GB 16GB
Connectors: 2 x RCA Audio jacks, 1 x RCA Video jack, 1 x iPod earphone jack 1x usb charger

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 02:42 AM

Wow. They sure tried to make that look like Apple-branded stuff.

Let us know how it work out.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Lots of false advertising on eBhey then, since so many claim they work with the iPhone.

I wonder why these sellers are getting so many positive ratings then.

EDIT:

These things must work with the iPhone. I am seeing positive ratings from sellers who bought these for their iPhones. So perhaps it will work with the composite output but not component without the chip, which is why you don't see any non-Apple component ones on eBay.
Sorry, I wasn't clear: My information is that there *is* a chip, but it's not Apple-exclusive.

Any accessory manufacturer can include it, but it does raise the cost.

I have no idea if there's an additional distinction between composite and component, though.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2008, 07:17 PM

Chip also keeps you from displaying iPhone screen on TV! Like when Jobs did at presentation. HIS had a special chip!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2008, 08:24 PM

2 weeks ago I bought the white one that Eug showed above. Works like a charm, and $35 less than Apple's.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2008, 08:34 PM

I have one too. Works great until I upgraded to iPhone 2.0 software. Now the iPhone complains it's not made for the iPhone.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I have one too. Works great until I upgraded to iPhone 2.0 software. Now the iPhone complains it's not made for the iPhone.
Seriously? That's really pathetic of Apple. Guess they really want to keep the profits from their grossly over-priced cables. One more reason for me to not upgrade to 2.0.

And, honestly, as Apple increases this kind of protectionist behavior, I start thinking about purchasing from someone else.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2008, 09:36 PM

Well, I decided to risk 10 bucks and just ordered one off eBay.

I thought that was an Apple branded one. The packaging look a lot like Apple's box.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
2 weeks ago I bought the white one that Eug showed above. Works like a charm, and $35 less than Apple's.
I read your post and was happy. Then...

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Bah! $9.85 down the drain I guess. Well, maybe not. I needed an extra USB cable anyway. Unfortunately, now my extra USB cable has all sorts of extra dangly bits I (probably) won't be able to use.
( Last edited by Eug; Aug 15, 2008 at 11:08 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2008, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
Chip also keeps you from displaying iPhone screen on TV! Like when Jobs did at presentation. HIS had a special chip!
No, his has a big fat custom cable that's connected directly within the iPhone, and doesn't run via the Dock connector at all.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2008, 08:40 AM

Well, maybe not. I needed an extra USB cable anyway. Unfortunately, now my extra USB cable has all sorts of extra dangly bits I (probably) won't be able to use.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2008, 07:36 PM

MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2008, 06:38 PM

Good news: The 3rd party composite/stereo cable they sent me works perfectly with my iPhone 3G. And the quality through composite on my 26" LCD TV is actually half-decent. (It doesn't look as good on my 42" though of course.)

I wonder if there is that chip in it. Judging by your posts, there must be.

Bad news: They didn't send me the USB version. They ran out. So instead of just refunding me the money, they sent the USB-less one instead. Damn eBhey sellers.
( Last edited by Eug; Sep 4, 2008 at 06:47 PM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 09:44 PM

They said they'll send the new USB-endowed AV cable. Hopefully it will actually arrive, and if it does, hopefully it works fine with the 3G too.

Anyways, it's pretty clear that some 3rd party cables do work fine with the 3G.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2008, 09:53 PM

Some eBheyers are now specifically advertising that their composite AV cables have the chip:

Others are advertising that their composite AV cables don't work with the 3G.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2008, 11:32 PM

Good news: The 3rd party composite/stereo cable they sent me works perfectly with my iPhone 3G. And the quality through composite on my 26" LCD TV is actually half-decent. (It doesn't look as good on my 42" though of course.)

I wonder if there is that chip in it. Judging by your posts, there must be.

Bad news: They didn't send me the USB version. They ran out. So instead of just refunding me the money, they sent the USB-less one instead.
!@#$!#^$! Apple.

I updated to iPhone firmware 2.1 on my 3G, and the cable no longer works. Bastards.

N.B. Wiskedjak had the same issue upgrading from 1.1.4 to 2.0 on his previous model iPhones. However, I didn't have this problem with 2.0 on my 3G. I guess Apple is specifically updating the cable support in the point updates to exclude 3rd party cables. ie. I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes out with a cable that works with 2.1, but then Apple will kill it in 2.2.
( Last edited by Eug; Sep 19, 2008 at 12:01 AM. )

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2008, 01:06 AM

!@#$!#^$! Apple.

I updated to iPhone firmware 2.1 on my 3G, and the cable no longer works. Bastards.

N.B. Wiskedjak had the same issue upgrading from 1.1.4 to 2.0 on his previous model iPhones. However, I didn't have this problem with 2.0 on my 3G. I guess Apple is specifically updating the cable support in the point updates to exclude 3rd party cables. ie. I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes out with a cable that works with 2.1, but then Apple will kill it in 2.2.
This is so pathetic and blatant on Apple's part. This, and their buggy releases of late, will contribute heavily to me thinking twice before I buy another Apple product.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2008, 06:42 AM

Not that it's any help or relevant but I got the incompatibility notice when I plugged in Apple's $50 cable but it still worked. Weird.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2008, 07:29 AM

I get the same warning when I plug my iPhone 3G into one of Apple's older docking stations. But it still works fine.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2008, 08:13 AM

Mine just won't work. The video plays on the iPhone's screen. Or, esp. if I reboot the iPhone it might work... for about 10 s, then gives that message and kicks me out of the video. The stupid part is that during those 10 seconds, playback works perfectly (as it did before the 2.1 update).

Interestingly.... I just got the USB-ified 3rd party cable too. (They just charged me a few bux for shipping. Didn't have to pay for the cable again.) It charges the iPhone just fine, but will NOT sync to iTunes. Weird. So, I'm just using it as a charging cable in conjunction with an AC USB adapter.

Fortunately, Apple hasn't somehow developed a magic AC USB adapter sensor so they can kill off 3rd party versions of those too.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I get the same warning when I plug my iPhone 3G into one of Apple's older docking stations. But it still works fine.
Are you using Apple's current AV cable in combination with an older docking station?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 19, 2008, 05:34 PM

FWIW, I believe that part of the reason for the chip is to let the cable request composite or component video.

I also have a suspicion that the chip has something to do with DRM obligations, since it's awfully convenient that the iPods (including iPhones) that are capable of movie rentals all require the chipped cables.

And yes, the real Apple chip is available to third parties if they pay for it, since B&W and others use it.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2008, 05:38 PM

I'm just wondering why my cable worked in 2.0 in the 3G, whereas Wiskedjak's cable stopped working with 2.0.

Forum Links
Forum Rules