Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Seriously Considering Getting 17" Macbook

Seriously Considering Getting 17" Macbook
JamesRedwood
Aug 31, 2008, 07:08 PM

Hi Guys,

Can anyone suggest whether they think think that getting a 17" macbook would be worthwhile.

I currently use a 13 inch macbook with 2GB ram and its been pretty ok but want to upgrade as a friend of mine is selling theirs.

zykron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2008, 07:17 PM

Imagine taking a smaller TV monitor or desktop monitor/screen and folding it down in half like a briefcase. We're talking about something that extends outward on both sides of your lap by quite a few inches. It's a big portable.

mkerr64
Senior User
Aug 31, 2008, 09:06 PM

what until september 9th
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Cold Warrior
Aug 31, 2008, 09:31 PM

I second waiting.
17" in general is really big. Wait a couple weeks to see if Apple updates anything, then consider a 15" model + external LCD.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2008, 09:37 PM

I suggest the 15" + external display route, unless you absolutely need the big screen on the road.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2008, 09:44 PM

I have both a Black MacBook 2.4 and a 17" 2.33 MacBook Pro.

I only paid $1200 for the 17" used and couldn't pass up a bargain!

I am 58 and love the extra real estate!

You'll love the extra screen.... easier on the eyes!

ibook_steve
Aug 31, 2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
I have both a Black MacBook 2.4 and a 17" 2.33 MacBook Pro.

I only paid $1200 for the 17" used and couldn't pass up a bargain!

I am 58 and love the extra real estate!

You'll love the extra screen.... easier on the eyes!
Not to hijack this thread, but $1200 for a recent 17" MBP? What truck did that fall off of?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Cold Warrior
Aug 31, 2008, 11:48 PM

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but $1200 for a recent 17" MBP? What truck did that fall off of?

Steve

I have the original receipt from the seller of both computers. I bought both off craigslist.

The Macbook was from a switcher who couldn't get used to a Mac! It has 3 years of Applecare as well as Office 2008 original Discs. He paid local Apple Store "I just bought this almost two weeks ago and I can't get used to using a Mac. I would return it to the store but I bought it with a gift card and I need to use the cash to purchase another laptop. I also purchased 3 years of Apple Care and Microsoft Office 2008. I will include a wireless Apple mouse..
13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
2GB memory
250GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera
Feel free to email with any question or your best offer. "
I paid $1025!

The 17" Macbook pro is:
'This laptop has Version 10.4.11, and a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB ram Memory, and a 150 GB hard drive.
All Software with original Cds: Adobe CS3 suite: Photoshop, Bridge, Dreamweaver, Indesign, Illustrator, Flash, Final Cut Pro 5.0
Comes with original box, cables, cds, Etc."

I ALWAYS check serial number (http://www.stolencomputers.org/back.html) and to protect myself from theft since I am paying cash, I always meet seller in front of local police precinct. I figure if it is stolen, they would be afraid it is a sting.
( Last edited by romeosc; Sep 1, 2008 at 01:08 PM. )

ibook_steve
Sep 1, 2008, 03:06 PM

Wow. The MacBook is the right price (and still a good deal). The MBP...well that person is just stupid! Congrats on that deal!

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2008, 08:18 PM

hahahaha what an idiot the owner of the pro was.......damn, I wouldn't normally buy something that I felt was daylight robbery but that person is just asking for it! Woooow, well surprising...almost unbelievable.

To the threadstarter:

Depends on the price your usage and needs. It's impossible to say if its a good deal otherwise, if its for the same price as the above poster snatch his hands off otherwise we need to know more.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2008, 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=kenna;3717214]hahahaha what an idiot the owner of the pro was.......damn, I wouldn't normally buy something that I felt was daylight robbery but that person is just asking for it! Woooow, well surprising...almost unbelievable.

I don't want to screw anyone.... I just look for a motivated seller.

I buy when price is right .... someday I'll need what I buy!

"HE WHO DIES WITH MOST TOYS WINS!"

jretzner
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2008, 12:17 AM

I suggest the 15" + external display route, unless you absolutely need the big screen on the road.
I own a G4 17" and love the machine save for the space it takes up in an airplane or on AMTRAK. I'm waiting for September 9th to see what Steve has for his "little surprise." I'm hoping the 15" Pro will have more bells and whistles with which to make more "music."

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post

I don't want to screw anyone.... I just look for a motivated seller.

I buy when price is right .... someday I'll need what I buy!

"HE WHO DIES WITH MOST TOYS WINS!"
That's fair enough, love the quote
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

gangster
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2008, 08:30 PM

i just bought a refurbished 17" macbook pro from the apple store for $1899 with nvidia video. its awesome and the price is right...and they still have more! ships from sacramento, if youre in a hurry expedited shipping might be a good choice.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2008, 09:00 PM

Like was suggested, I would wait a few weeks to see what shows up. And don't give up if it doesn't show up Sept. 9. It may not be until October or so before we see a new MacBook Pro.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by gangster View Post
i just bought a refurbished 17" macbook pro from the apple store for $1899 with nvidia video. its awesome and the price is right...and they still have more! ships from sacramento, if youre in a hurry expedited shipping might be a good choice.

Apple store is good because it gives a full year warranty, but charges sales tax! plus mine was only $1200 and included "All Software with original Cds: Adobe CS3 suite: Photoshop, Bridge, Dreamweaver, Indesign, Illustrator, Flash, Final Cut Pro 5.0, Parallels with XP"

JamesRedwood  (op)
Sep 6, 2008, 06:52 PM

Ended up getting a macbook air - Its awesome!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by JamesRedwood View Post
Ended up getting a macbook air - Its awesome!
Great computer, but used one for 1 week out of town and when I got back to my 17", I realized how much I missed it!

If though m MBP 17" is slower than my 2.4 MB, It feels faster and I get more work done because of extra real estate!

Good luck with your MBA!

Forum Links
Forum Rules