Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Internet Problems!

Internet Problems!
katieann3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2008, 11:32 PM

I have a macbook with whatever system is before leopard. In the past 4 months I have been experiencing dropped internet connections no matter where i go. The only place that it keeps a good consistent signal is within 10 feet of my wireless router. I cant even take it into my bedroom because it drops the signal. I took it in to the apple store 2 months ago and they said nothing was wrong with it. I need help i am getting very frustrated because i spent 500 to get everything fixed and now it works worse than it did before

Those spam bots love e-mail adresses, use private messages instead, please. OreoCookie
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Sep 5, 2008 at 02:24 AM. )

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2008, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by katieann3 View Post
I have a macbook with whatever system is before leopard. In the past 4 months I have been experiencing dropped internet connections no matter where i go. The only place that it keeps a good consistent signal is within 10 feet of my wireless router. I cant even take it into my bedroom because it drops the signal. I took it in to the apple store 2 months ago and they said nothing was wrong with it. I need help i am getting very frustrated because i spent 500 to get everything fixed and now it works worse than it did before
Check location of antenae of router. If your home has a lot of plaster walls, or metal reception is diminished!

Also do you have a cordless(2.4GHZ) phone near base station?
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Sep 5, 2008 at 02:24 AM. )

katieann3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2008, 11:20 AM

Im not sure about the GHz but there is a cordless phone, i don't know about the walls, but you see i have had this computer since june '06 and it just started happening within the year

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by katieann3 View Post
Im not sure about the GHz but there is a cordless phone, i don't know about the walls, but you see i have had this computer since june '06 and it just started happening within the year
move cordless phone base station or router. Aim router so coverage is better. Place Higher in room. Some base stations have a place for additional antenea

katieann3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2008, 12:35 PM

but remember i said it doesnt work other places like school or work so its not just at home i even bought a whole new router

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2008, 10:47 PM

It's possible the wireless antenna has slipped out of place. I'd try opening the system up and re-seating that connection.

katieann3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2008, 01:24 PM

in my laptop? im taking it the apple store again today

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2008, 12:28 AM

Yup, in your laptop. That's a simple problem that the Apple store geniuses should be able to find and fix.

katieann3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2008, 08:18 AM

I took it in on Saturday they are fixing everything even down to the greying top hand rest ! I am happy hope this fixes the problem =]

Forum Links
Forum Rules