Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Cheap USB Scanner: User Report

Cheap USB Scanner: User Report
Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2007, 01:04 PM

Delicious Library user Geoff writes in that he's found a cheap USB barcode scanner on eBay UK that works great with Delicious Library:

It is called a CCD Barcode Reader Type FG-8100 and that is all it says on it

I got it on Ebay and they have tonnes of them.

The seller is UK Shopping 24 and the scanner is £14.95 plus £9.95 UK shipping

VideoBeagle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2007, 02:27 AM

Just to add, I have a Cue:Cat scanner that was given to me by someone over at the DealMac forum. (I don't think it's had the wire hack done to it.) And it works awesomly with DL.

(I prefer it to the iSight scanning with my macbook....I just can't get the codes to line up with that well...it is a cool feature though).

kcm3
Dec 19, 2007, 07:09 PM

I second the thumbs up on the Cue:Cat. I've been using DL with my iMac's iSight, but also tested it with a modified Cue:Cat that I'm giving to someone as a gift. I find the Cue:Cat to be quicker than the iSight.

It, like the iSight, can't manage to scan those darn tiny barcodes on CDs put out by Relapse Records lately.

t0rie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2008, 01:17 PM

Just to echo that... I bought a cheap, I mean -really- cheap scanner off ebay. A USB 80mm CCD Barcode scanner for about £15 or so including postage. It works brilliantly.

Even though I have the built in isight on my imac, which is great, but my library is downstairs, so I picked this scanner up and hooked it all up to my old laptop and scanned everything in (all 1000 books or so) and then burned the library to a cd and copied it to my imac.

Phew. And now I make sure to open all packages bought from amazon in front of the imac and just scan them in there and then.

One of these days I need to do the cds.. although itunes integration would make this much easier!

t0rie
--
design @ whangdoodleland - freelance graphic designer in Spain, Costa Brava
The Great Escape @ whangdoodleland

tenjin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2008, 09:32 AM

Hi,

Just bought one of the hand scanners that Geoff referenced on eBay.co.uk

I have to say it works well.

One thing though: it takes about 3 seconds of holding the button in before the light comes on and it scans the barcode. Is that normal?

Cheers

D.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2008, 04:14 PM

I got the Cue:Cat scanner for cheap, but it didn't work until I did the pin 4 hack.
Now it works like a charm.

VideoBeagle, I'm inclined to say that your Cue:Cat has been hacked as well. From my understanding, the standard version doesn't support DL due to some encryption mechanism.

-t

VideoBeagle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2008, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
VideoBeagle, I'm inclined to say that your Cue:Cat has been hacked as well. From my understanding, the standard version doesn't support DL due to some encryption mechanism.
-t
Certainly possible. I've never looked at it closely to check. Is it obvious to see if you open it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules