Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Xcode help

Xcode help
shortyes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 10:51 AM

Hi all, I just recently switched from PC to mac and need some help. I am a CS student and have been using Microsoft C+ compiler since it has a nice user interface and error checking.

When I switched over to the mac I discover Xcode. I do not know how to use it. Can someone please help?

How do you say create a C file?

aka

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void main ()
{
puts("Hi there");

return;
}
Powerbook G4 15" 1.5Ghz
80GB 5400RPM
2x256 PC2700 Sodimm
ATI 9700 128mb video card
CD/DVD Computer Drive

Nitride
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 12:35 PM

In the File menu simply select "New Project" and select the type of project you want. There are many options to choose from. Click on an item and read the description in the bottom portion of the window.

You can create a single file, but to use Xcode to compile and link you need to create a project. Creating a project sets up all the files, folders, bundle and compile/link settings that are appropriate to build the project type.

If you aren't sure what to make perhaps you should get some books on Mac OS X programming first. There are several paths you can take, each with their own quirks and semantics and languages.

There are also many example projects in the /Developer folder. Read through those, build a few and see what happens.

hayesk
Oct 27, 2004, 04:25 PM

You can also just use gcc on the commandline. What are your CS professors teaching? Most will use UNIX, which basically means you can just use your commandline in OS X.

If they are using Microsoft C++, then get new professors.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 06:56 PM

For a project setup for just C code, select 'Standard Tool' from the New Project window. The little description in the bottom of the window should say something about C.

shortyes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2004, 04:00 PM

So I will just program liek normal?
Powerbook G4 15" 1.5Ghz
80GB 5400RPM
2x256 PC2700 Sodimm
CD/DVD Computer Drive

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by shortyes:
So I will just program liek normal?
That doesn't really mean anything.

shortyes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2004, 11:11 PM

Like to thank everyone that helped. finally got it to work. I'm still a bit slow since I was raised using MS C++ compiler.
Powerbook G4 15" 1.5Ghz
80GB 5400RPM
2x256 PC2700 Sodimm
CD/DVD Computer Drive

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2004, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
You can also just use gcc on the commandline. What are your CS professors teaching? Most will use UNIX, which basically means you can just use your commandline in OS X.

If they are using Microsoft C++, then get new professors.
that would be nice. . .mine also teach using M$ products (VB, VC++, C#, etc) but such is life. i will still learn the basics and can apply as needed to obj-c(++) and, sadly, i will probably be using M$ or linux when i graduate and start working. but such is life.

nick
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules