Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > "Find My Mac" Problem

"Find My Mac" Problem
sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2011, 03:17 AM

On my MacBook Air (OS 10.7.2), in the iCloud system preferences panel, I have checked Mail&Notes, Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, and Documents & Data. When I try to check "Find My Mac" it won't let me, claiming that "Recovery System Update [is] Required." But when I was doing the 10.7.2 update, it also did the 400+ MB installation of "Lion Recovery Update". The Software update panel shows version 1.0 of that as having been installed. Following advice on another thread, I fixed permissions, downloaded this update again from the Apple KB, and installed it, and this shows up as another entry for "Lion Recovery Update" with no version number. System Update tells me all of my software is up to date. Clicking the "Update" button on the iCloud panel entry for (greyed-out) "Find My Mac" just does the same thing. What do I have to do to enable this function?

[Some of the other problems I reported in another thread can be dealt with by realizing that I now have two Apple IDs, and associating one of them with iCloud functions and the other with the store. The "Find My Mac" problem persists, though.]

Thanks for any help,

--

Steve Anderson

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2011, 06:14 AM

Did you just repair permissions, or did you boot into recovery mode and repair the disk as well?

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2011, 11:08 AM

I did exactly what you suggested (boot in recovery mode, repair disk, repair permissions, reboot, re-install update). No joy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules