Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tech Edge Rate Gives Ibook bad rating

Tech Edge Rate Gives Ibook bad rating
macwalk
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 11:26 AM

The latest copy of Techedge bashed the ibook saying it is extrememly slow in comparison to penitium laptops in the same class do you guys agree to this?
Hmmmm..... maybe not!

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2002, 11:49 AM

No I don't agree.

Have an online copy perhaps or a link to it?

arclight
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 12:54 PM

whatever.
---------------------------------------

-Q-
Nov 13, 2002, 02:40 PM

Why people insist on posting or publishing their drunken ramblings, I'll never know...

Matsu
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2002, 07:26 PM

Probably true. The G3 should already be retired. Altivec has been the one saving grace of the PPC so far and the G3 doesn't even have it. Also the 128MB standard RAM is thin by any standard, more probably helps, but mags usually test standard configs. OSX needs more RAM than a paltry 128. There should be 256MB in that first slot by now, there isn't and it's slow, no question.

The system bus is a pathetic 100Mhz, there's no L3 cache. Many x86 laptops also miss L3 cache, but their FSB speeds are over 2.5X faster. It makes a difference.

Apple should have at least bumped the FSb to 133, that's the RAM they specify and the Sahara in use will support up to 200Mhz FSB speeds.

I believe it's as slow as they say, at least without an extra 256 or 512 module.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2002, 12:00 AM

The iBook may indeed be slower than some PC hardware (depends who you ask).
However, the increased productivity, power, and uptime of the Mac platform far outweighs, in my opinion, the ability to run a Photoshop filter .2 seconds faster.
It's what you can do with your computer that matters most in my view.

Forum Links
Forum Rules