Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New "new PowerMac" rumors

New "new PowerMac" rumors (Page 2)
Truepop
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 12:25 PM

I think they should have something new on the site before people start flocking but that's just me.

Also, The past two years it was the 28th.

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 06:55 AM

I am thinking, if it's more than just an upgrade, ie 20th anniversary type deal, it will be announced during the Super Bowl via a commercial. You know, 20th anniversary, rerun a remake something of commercial that ran 20 years ago, new and amazing thing we just don't expect. Just a guess, but that is what this thread is all about

xe0
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by slider:
I am thinking, if it's more than just an upgrade, ie 20th anniversary type deal, it will be announced during the Super Bowl via a commercial. You know, 20th anniversary, rerun a remake something of commercial that ran 20 years ago, new and amazing thing we just don't expect. Just a guess, but that is what this thread is all about
nice speculation.
What were those rumors regarding the cube like cases that are being manufactured? I cant recall the exact details- but it would be nice to see Apple release (or re-release) a headless cube system- but this time at a lower price point.

A true Apple product / cube like system, accompanied by solid hardware spec's -at a reasonable price would be a great addition to Apple's hardware lineup. wether or not some people would like to admit, Apple do need an entry point to the Mac platform. The iPod is great for luring consumers to the brand, but Apple currently has no consumer entry price point system. oh, and imho- the eMac doesn't count as an entry price point unit!

And after all- wasn't the original goal of Apple computer to make computers for everyone?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2004, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by xe0:
oh, and imho- the eMac doesn't count as an entry price point unit!
If that's your opinion, you're bound to be disappointed. No way Apple would start selling the stylish cube again at a lower price point than the eMac which is their cheapest line of all.

A cube with a 1.6GHz G5, no PCI-X, but 8xAGP would probably be priced around the iMac, i.e. cheaper than the PowerMac, but more expensive than the eMac. Take a Studio Display with it and it will be more expensive than an iMac again... Yep, that's the Cube dilemma.

The thing you're asking for is that cheap (used to be G3, now it's probably G4) entry-level tower that people have said Apple needs to get PC gamers and so on. Well, IMHO, that's not going to happen. But of course, that's just me.
( Last edited by Simon; Jan 22, 2004 at 09:03 AM. )

janneh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2004, 12:34 PM

Yesterday finnish retailer dropped its DP 1.8 G5/512MB/160GB/SuperDrive/nvidia -mac's prices about 200 �'s, down to 2,595 � (applestore: 2,804 �). Could be just a regular special offer or not.

Switched2Mac
Baninated
Jan 22, 2004, 11:17 PM

I hope they start selling PowerBeigeBoxes soon.

Dull looking and bland.

Perfect for work.

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 11:28 PM

Hehe, the 20th edition Mac will be a new G5 processor stuffed into the original Macintosh case, but will feature a new beige two button mouse with scroll wheel.

Switched2Mac
Baninated
Jan 22, 2004, 11:33 PM

Tomorrow is the day.....

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Switched2Mac:
Tomorrow is the day.....
jumping the gun there. tomorrow (even though it is 10ish in the pm central time) is the 23rd

Sealobo
Jan 23, 2004, 12:51 PM

The time is now. it's 00:50 24/01/2004 here on the other side of the planet... come on Apple... i am waiting to buy!

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2004, 04:59 PM

Apple will release new powermacs tomorrow (1/24/04) with a BTO option of ATI's new 9800 pro extreme edition.

i hope

Turias
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
Apple will release new powermacs tomorrow (1/24/04) with a BTO option of ATI's new 9800 pro extreme edition.

i hope
No they won't. Tomorrow is a Saturday. Apple ain't gonna release anything on a weekend...

xe0
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2004, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
The thing you're asking for is that cheap (used to be G3, now it's probably G4) entry-level tower that people have said Apple needs to get PC gamers and so on. Well, IMHO, that's not going to happen. But of course, that's just me.
maybe you interpreted my post wrong

If Apple were to release a cube like G4 system to lure PC gamers to the Mac platform.. it would be fatal. And yes i agree that wont happen- however thats not exactly what my original post was trying to convey.

PC gamers are only a small part of the computer market- and further demand high performance hardware- so Im not sure how you thought I was insinuating that an entry price point system would be the ticket to lure a small group of high performance demanding PC gamers on-board?

Consumers who just want a system to play their mp3's, rip a movie or two, or use the computer for digital snap shots is more of the target audience I was trying to convey.

"A true Apple product / cube like system, accompanied by solid hardware spec's -at a reasonable price"

The keyword being reasonable. I am confident it is more than possible to sell a headless cube system with spec's according to the price point, aimed at the consumer level- who may have just bought an iPod, and are looking for the complete Mac solution.
And as for selling the fictional cube system with an Apple display as you mentioned- well, I personally cant see the logic in such an arrangement? That would defeat the purpose of creating an entry price point system, as it would bloat the price considerably.

People would have the choice to buy a CRT or TFT corresponding to their individual budget
( Last edited by xe0; Jan 23, 2004 at 05:47 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2004, 06:47 PM

I think the issue remains: The cube is a product directed towards style. Apple charges for that. I can't see them offering it for less than an eMac.

The eMac is the cheap entry, at least in Apple's opinion.

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by xe0:

People would have the choice to buy a CRT or TFT corresponding to their individual budget
I agree. I would buy a cube like system but buy a 17" crt. Why? Budget. If a cube was the price of an iMac but with a little better specs and limited expansion/upgradability I would buy it. I'll pay for speed but I'm cheap when it comes to displays.
><> 1 Peter 3:15-16

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
No they won't. Tomorrow is a Saturday. Apple ain't gonna release anything on a weekend...
Who knows? It is, after all, the mac's anniversary date. Plus Appleinsider.com, the only rumors site with any credibility, speculates tomorrow may be the day.

CIA
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 08:59 PM

"...and one rumor site to rule them all!"
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by CIA

"...and one rumor site to rule them all!"
�� and one to bind them� -- but which one?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2004, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
Who knows? It is, after all, the mac's anniversary date. Plus Appleinsider.com, the only rumors site with any credibility, speculates tomorrow may be the day.
They also guessed Jan. 20.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 12:21 AM

Think Secret is the one with credibility, and they haven't had anything at all to say about it.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
Think Secret is the one with credibility, and they haven't had anything at all to say about it.
Yeah, out of all the rumor sites, Think Secret is probably the best one. But that isn't saying much. Think Secrets sometimes has been surprisingly on and yet other time couldn't hit the side of a barn with a elephant gun.

I don't know, not of the rumor sites have anything coming up except for the updated PowerMac line. . .

I am hoping for a nice surprise though .
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

Paul UK
Jan 24, 2004, 07:55 AM

Happy birthday

MMMMMMmmmmmm
As lnog as the fsirt & lsat leterts are in pclae you can anrarge any wrod how you lkie & yuor biran can sitll udrensnatd it.

Sealobo
Jan 24, 2004, 09:18 AM

So... there is nothing new?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2004, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by Sealobo:
So... there is nothing new?
Nope, it's Saturday after all.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 09:58 AM

Macrumors just posted that something big might come likely next monday (26th) something like new powermacs and may be iMacs G5..But it could also be as soon as today...wait and see.
Funny thing is that there no mention at all (yet) about mac birthday on apple site...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

dennis88
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2004, 11:16 AM

Yeah, it's weird that it's nothing about the mac birthday on apple.com.

Very strange...

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2004, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by dennis88:
Yeah, it's weird that it's nothing about the mac birthday on apple.com.

Very strange...
I thought the exact same thing. They changed their homepage when Gregory Hines died, yet won't even but a picture up for their 20th birthday?

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227:
I thought the exact same thing. They changed their homepage when Gregory Hines died, yet won't even but a picture up for their 20th birthday?
Maybe they forgot it was their bday .

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227:
It's not Apple's 20th birthday. It is the Macintosh's 20th birthday. Apple the company is about 27 years old.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2004, 12:54 AM

Never mind ... found the info.

tthiel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 03:47 AM

Yup the Tucson, Arizona store opened today. I was there. No more frickin CompUsa !!

Originally posted by Commodus:
It's doubtful that they'll announce new hardware on the same day: January 24th is Saturday, and Apple rarely does anything but store openings on weekends. Speaking of which, there *is* a store opening scheduled on the 24th, so it's not as though nothing is happening at all.

jfinete
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2004, 04:31 AM

I can't believe this crappy thread got a link on the MacNN main page. Must be a slow news day.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Jan 25, 2004, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by jfinete:
I can't believe this crappy thread got a link on the MacNN main page. Must be a slow news day.
Guess you are right. This is one of these days when I wonder how the threads to be mentioned are selected...

Back on track: So, what is it gonna be now, Monday 26th? Or maybe two days later? Or end of January? Superbowl?
There is this slight feeling creeping up to me that I once again fell for the Apple waiting game...
( Last edited by Ambassadeur; Jan 25, 2004 at 07:04 AM. )
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 09:45 AM

Yep you're right but I also can't believe that Apple didn't mention at all their 20th Mac birthday..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
Yep you're right but I also can't believe that Apple didn't mention at all their 20th Mac birthday..
Which day exactly was the mac's birthday? was the 24th the day when the famous 1984 ad was aired or was the 24th the day the Mac was introduced? I think there was a two day lag between the two...

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2004, 11:12 AM

Thanks guys.. All this speculative crap has rid me of my insomnia.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Thanks guys.. All this speculative crap has rid me of my insomnia.
Finally, this thread was good for something!!

cowicide
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2004, 12:22 PM

( Last edited by cowicide; Jan 25, 2004 at 02:51 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2004, 02:26 PM

full ACK.

I'm bored...
Anyone with REAL news or substantial rumors ?

-t

yen_lai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 05:04 PM

ugh.

all of apple's products use myriad now, not garamond, and even still that garamond is all stretched out to be ridiculously looking...

teknik
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2004, 08:15 PM

I was at Best Buy today with my brother who works there, the Power Mac G5's are all unorderable until 1/27/04, interesting.

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by teknik:
I was at Best Buy today with my brother who works there, the Power Mac G5's are all unorderable until 1/27/04, interesting.
Well, that's something. On a Tuesday to boot.

cowicide
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2004, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by yen_lai:
ugh.

all of apple's products use myriad now, not garamond, and even still that garamond is all stretched out to be ridiculously looking...
Not to mention they don't use the colored Apple logo anymore!... WHAT WAS I THINKING?!

Hahaha...

Sometimes the sweetest part about little ironic jokes are watching the ones who don't get it not get it.

Well, don't worry with the GX you can change the skin to any font you'd like...
See?

And if you still feel uptight about it, you can get intimate with it... Features

Hahaha...

( Last edited by cowicide; Jan 25, 2004 at 09:47 PM. )

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 11:26 PM

AI has a something on their website stating that Apple's 20 Anniversary Ad shows tomorrows date, but when click on the story there is none. The header was posted today.

OsakaBill
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2004, 12:38 AM

In the past, Apple has announced new products at MacWorld Tokyo. The Pismo line of PowerBook G3s were introduced there. Therefore, it makes sense that if Apple is going to announce any new hardware in the near future, MWT would be the time and place. (Now if I could just remember the DATE this happens.)

As far as what new hardware will be announced, the PowerMac G5 is the oldest I believe. If I recall correctly, upgraded eMacs, iMacs and PowerBooks all came out after the announcement (and availability?) of the PowerMac G5. Therefore, I think this is the line-up Apple will "upgrade" first.

Typically, the current product cycle's top of the line becomes the bottom of the line in the next product cycle. Therefore, I think that a 2GHz PowerMac G5 will form the basis of the next G5 iteration.

Putting all of this together, at MacWorld Tokyo we'll see:
�2GHz DP @ $1800
�2.2GHz DP @ $2300
�2.4GHz DP @ $2800

I am also hoping that we'll see AppleWorks 7 (or AppleWorks X or iOffice.)
Resistance Is Futile--Think Different

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 01:46 AM

If a DP 2.0 G5 is only 1800 at MWT, then I am so going to get that...
iamwhor3hay

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2004, 02:42 AM

I'm begining to think we're going to see dual 3ghz powermacs sooner and nothing in between.
Aloha

Monstermind
Jan 26, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Oh, and WizOSX: Who made you 'The Rumor Czar' anyways? Of all the people on MacNN, your postings are the most rumor centric, and you make a lot of them.

Chill with it.
NERD FIIIIIGHT!!!!

TC
Senior User
Jan 26, 2004, 11:32 AM

Looks like things are pointing to tomorrow, from RAILHead Design:
News From Apple Tomorrow
Tomorrow promises to be a �big� day for Apple, so get your credit card balances down and your paychecks deposited�
Nothing to see, move along.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by TC:
Looks like things are pointing to tomorrow, from RAILHead Design:
I saw that too, I hope the big announcement is not in the same vain as the iMac G4 - i.e. everyone saw it coming.

Forum Links
Forum Rules