Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Nikon D70's light metering?

Nikon D70's light metering?
OreoCookie
Jan 31, 2004, 12:08 AM

I am just reading the specs of the D70 and to be honest, I start drooling already. I was torn between a D100 (probably a reimport, cheaper) or the D70.

I just want to know one more thing: does the D70 allow spot and integral metering in addition to the F5-grade 3D color matrix metering?

I got hooked on switching between metering modes on my recently deceased F80, so I'd want that feature in my next camera if possible.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie  (op)
Jan 31, 2004, 12:31 AM

I found it. It apparently supports all the light metering modes. I am one happy oreo. D70, here I save my money for you!

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/default.asp

The thing eats the Rebel D for breakfast (or 300 D or whatever). 1/8000 s, the 3D color matrix metering of the F5, 1/500 s for flash synchronisation (I haven't seen an SLR with a faster one, except for the new Hasselblad), 3 fps, at least 12 pix in total (up to 144 (!) with a fast CF card), wow.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2004, 01:30 AM

You know it's weird. I have never understood the need for all the super-duper multi-matrix metering modes. My camera (that it, the one with a built in meter), has a very simple selective meter -- like a cross between a center weighted and a spot meter. It's just about perfect every time. And when it isn't (or when the mechanical shutter wavers), latitude takes care of the rest.

You know, for years photographers used the sunny 16 method. I've shot without a meter. It works fine. I can't help thinking there is a lot of marketing hype involved here.

OreoCookie  (op)
Jan 31, 2004, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
You know it's weird. I have never understood the need for all the super-duper multi-matrix metering modes. My camera (that it, the one with a built in meter), has a very simple selective meter -- like a cross between a center weighted and a spot meter. It's just about perfect every time. And when it isn't (or when the mechanical shutter wavers), latitude takes care of the rest.

You know, for years photographers used the sunny 16 method. I've shot without a meter. It works fine. I can't help thinking there is a lot of marketing hype involved here.
Sunny 16 method?

Well, it was pretty much my point: I didn't like the way the matrix metering did my pictures on my F50. Having an alternative is very important to me. To be honest, I usually shoot in spot metering and I also almost always used the central AF sensor. I don't need Canon's `I got 45 of 'em that covers almost your whole viewfinder' approach.

I was rather surprised by the feature list, and yes, impressed, because it surpasses its `bigger' brother D100 in many areas, sometimes even the D2H.

It's a different question if I'd ever need those 1/500 s flash synchro. Answer is: probably not. But after using my F80 for a bit more than a year, I didn't want to go back. I've had the opportunity of buying an F70 or F75 to replace my F80, but they lacked some extra features that I grew addicted to, namely spot metering and the extremely simple user interface.

I would never use one of these programs that are offered (night shot, portrait, whatever), because I usually use A, sometimes S and M. I don't need P (full automatic), even though all new cameras have a shift option. The F80's AF (central sensor) was fast and reliable (and the D70 uses the same module); image quality was great and the camera was robust (it almost survived the impact at speeds of about 35 km/h). That's also why I prefer Nikon any day over Canon: Canon's user interface is horrible. I figured my F80 out right away, except for some more advanced features and the custom presets (since they're just numbered).

Another nifty feature: the D70 has a sensor built-in that figures out if the image is shot horizontally or as a portrait.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
You know it's weird. I have never understood the need for all the super-duper multi-matrix metering modes.
Nikon needs Matrix because their normal meters suck.

And as for the camera: I've been waiting for Nikon to release this one and the tech specs look good. But to me it seems very cheaply built. I think I'll get myself a second hand D100 to replace my F3 & F90X instead of this one.

And Oreo: Sunny 16 and more detail

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 03:32 PM

Well there's a reason Nikon put so much into this model: They had to. They have been eating Canon's dust for so long they needed to offer something strong to gain an edge. Of course it won't last long, Canon will surely raise the bar again soon.
It's funny that you'd like all those spot metering modes, but not the (Canon) multi AF AE spot method, which arguably makes those usable and certainly better.

OreoCookie  (op)
Feb 1, 2004, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Nikon needs Matrix because their normal meters suck.

And as for the camera: I've been waiting for Nikon to release this one and the tech specs look good. But to me it seems very cheaply built. I think I'll get myself a second hand D100 to replace my F3 & F90X instead of this one.

And Oreo: Sunny 16 and more detail
Well, I have thought about this, too. I can get a used D100 for the same price here now, probably less, once this baby hits the shops in Japan. I have yet to compare them next to each other, but feature-wise, the D70 has the upper hand a couple of times. Shutter speed, metering. I haven't seen a way to change the light metering on the D70, in particular, I miss the F80's/D100's switch to do that.

Right now, I am leaning more towards a new D70 than a used D100, also for the reason that I want to get an insurance with the camera, since Japanese warranty isn't worth anything in Europe.

But I won't decide until I finally get a chance to compare them right next to each other.

OreoCookie  (op)
Feb 1, 2004, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Well there's a reason Nikon put so much into this model: They had to. They have been eating Canon's dust for so long they needed to offer something strong to gain an edge. Of course it won't last long, Canon will surely raise the bar again soon.
It's funny that you'd like all those spot metering modes, but not the (Canon) multi AF AE spot method, which arguably makes those usable and certainly better.
I have seen both, the 300V and the 300D. A friend of mine has recently bought a 300V and thinks about switching to a 300D. She came from an all manual SLR.

She's not happy at all with the UI. Of course, the pictures are fine, but she (and me) don't like the handling. She's thinking about switching to a D70 now.

As for the famous multi-spot metering (I think Olympus had that too) that was made popular in the legendary T90, I think it's too much of a hassle. Like choosing another AF sensor: too much. Just take the central one, faster than switching.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2004, 02:26 PM

I have a D100, and it's by far the nicest camera - digital or 35mm film - that I've ever used. Name a configuration option, and its got it.
Image and build quality are top notch. It blows away the Canon digital rebel by far (I investigated it as well, but finally settled on the Nikon).
Plus, the support for Nikon glass can potentially save some people tons of money.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2004, 04:40 PM

Unfortunately, the D70 will not even meter with earlier than D series lenses. All the film Nikon owners expecting to use their old manual focus glass will be sorely disappointed.

OreoCookie  (op)
Feb 1, 2004, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by bmhome1:
Unfortunately, the D70 will not even meter with earlier than D series lenses. All the film Nikon owners expecting to use their old manual focus glass will be sorely disappointed.
Yeah, but this has been a long time coming. I have heard similar complaints about the F80. Almost none of the more advanced functions will work.

Since I don't have old lenses, but rather want to buy the set so that my 2.8/28-70 zoom that survived the accident will be a slight tele from thereon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules