Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Where did you get your Mac Mini 1.5?

Where did you get your Mac Mini 1.5?
neps
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 11:02 PM

I , like many lurking in this forum, have been waiting patiently for weeks for Apple to publicly display the specs contained within the Mac Mini's box. But I can't take it anymore, I'm gonna pop. (all the people who say in the other threads just wait, please step aside)

I was curious where people who have luckily received the updated Mini made their purchase. Can you please post where you bought it from, and at what date. I think I'm either going to try Amazon.com or the local Apple store that just opened last week - cause I would think they would have the freshest stock. But have people only been able to get it from the online Apple store?

thanks

Vidal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by neps
I was curious where people who have luckily received the updated Mini made their purchase. Can you please post where you bought it from, and at what date.
Ditto. If someone finds a new spec Mini in the UK then please post that too. Many thanks.
[FONT=Verdana]Now posting to MacNN from ... a Mac - Switched and lovin it![/FONT]

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2005, 04:05 PM

Yeah I'd like to hear from anyone that a new spec one in the UK.

How many of the old spec models do they have left now? I was wondering if they produced far too many of them and now are having problems shifting them, still they should just reduce the prices.

jw20877
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 11:05 AM

Just got mine on 10/21 at the Apple Store in Bethesda, MD

Found a cooperative sales associate who made the effort to get me one of the most recently recieved units.
While at the store I looked up the serial on [www.chipmunk.nl] site. Got this info:
Serial number: YM****SWTAA
Model:
Factory: YM (China (Hon Hai / Foxconn))code_to_number: 1SW - W84490B7PP8

Production year: 2005
Production week: 35 (September)
Production number: 2070 (within this week)

Based on this I'd say if you can look up the serial while at any retailer store and got a confirm that it was the China factory and production week 35 or later you've have game.

neps  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2005, 05:28 PM

i can't get the serial thing to work, do they email you the results?

neps  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2005, 05:34 PM

K, it worked now, on like the 100th try

Serial number: YMXXXXSPTAC
Model: Mxxxx Mac mini (What speed is this model?)
Factory: YM (China (Hon Hai / Foxconn))code_to_number: 0SP - YM5350SPTAC

Production week: 35 (September)
Production number: 90X (within this week)

Gonna open it up now, fingers crossed
( Last edited by neps; Oct 27, 2005 at 03:47 PM. Reason: markout serial)

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2005, 03:15 PM

Serial number: YMXXXXJUTAA
Model:
Factory: YM (China (Hon Hai / Foxconn))code_to_number: 2JU - YMXXXXJUTAA

Production week: 37 (September)
Production number: 29XX (within this week)

Came as a 1.42 on the box, was a 1.5 inside with OS X 10.4.2 build 8D40.

Not sure what vendor it came from, but I got it from the FreeMiniMacs site Gratis runs.
<This space under renovation>

Vidal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2005, 08:53 PM

OK, so it looks like this Chipmunk Serial Number thing might work. I'm going to have to go to the store then and give it a try. Thanks neps, Drakino and jw20877.

For Apple to still not have confirmed the upgrade to the specs they must either have been keeping enormous warehouse loads of minis around the planet that they're still trying to sell at the same price or sales have gone through the floor since news of the upgrade leaked out.
[FONT=Verdana]Now posting to MacNN from ... a Mac - Switched and lovin it![/FONT]

hangtown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2005, 04:38 AM

Serial Number: YMXXXXM0TAC
Factory: YM (China (Hon Hai / Foxconn))code_to_number: 5M0 - RMXXXXXEK59

Production week: 37 (September)
Production number: 6494 (within this week)

Bought it at the local Apple store in a town west of Portland, OR.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2005, 06:17 PM

So has anyone in the UK got a new spec Mini yet? I'm getting impatient, I might order one anyway and then sell it 2006 when the fancy intel Macs come along.

idcline
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2005, 09:47 PM

I just got a superdrive model today with a week 27 SN so I put it right back in the box to return. I guess the reason they have a rebate is that they have a large stockpile of oldies.

Oh well, just cost me shipping to give it a try.

heyloo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2005, 11:44 PM

Was anyone able to get 1.5 Ghz Mac Mini with Superdrive and verified via chipmunk.nl?
Which production week did you have?

alexl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 10:00 AM

I got my new Mac mini yesterday. I had ordered it the week before from the Apple Store (U.S.). It's a 1.5 without superdrive but with 1 GB RAM. I was worried that it wasn't going to be the updated model but it was. I'm not sure if the slightly faster processor will make much difference but I think the faster harddrive they are supposed to have and the 64MB of video Ram will.

-Alex

heyloo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 03:00 AM

I finally got my 1.5 GHz Mac mini :-)
I searched for new 1.42 mac minis posted on eBay and asked the sellers for the serial numbers. I found a couple that had production weeks (as verified with chipmunk.nl) of 35 and 36 of September 2005. One was without superdrive and the other was with. I lost out on the auction for the one without the superdrive -- I ended up getting the one with the superdrive.

Soo...the superdrive version indeed has the double layered burning capabilities and everything. Oh and also, it was interesting to find that the sticker on the bottom of the mac mini actually notes "1.42GHz" and other specs corresponding to the 'old' configurations.

Life is great~ :-)

Vidal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by heyloo
I finally got my 1.5 GHz Mac mini :-)
I searched for new 1.42 mac minis posted on eBay and -- I ended up getting the one with the superdrive.

Life is great~ :-)
Heyloo, do you happen to know which country the seller got it from? I'm trying to get one in the UK.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 11:26 AM

One thing I have noticed is that if you go to Apple's Support site, http://www.apple.com/support/ , and put in your serial number, it will tell you if your Mini is a new one or not (at least it seems to).

For example, I have a friend's Mini 1.5ghz serial number and when I enter it on that page, it says: "Mac mini (Late 2005)".
Agent69

heyloo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vidal
Heyloo, do you happen to know which country the seller got it from? I'm trying to get one in the UK.
Hello
Hmmm....I'm not sure but I believe she got it from the States...I'm pretty sure. She's a seller located here soo....
How about trying to grab one from the States off eBay or something? :-) You could check the serial number to verify at chipmunk.nl

Lava Lamp Freak
Nov 12, 2005, 09:54 PM

I picked up a Superdrive mini at CompUSA today, and it was the 1.5. I asked the sales guy if he knew if the ones they have are the new silent upgrades, and he said he wasn't sure but he'd get me the last one off the truck. Then when he was getting the 20" display for me, he made a comment that maybe they'd put a 23" in the box. So, I'm not sure that he believed me about the updated Minis, or if he was just being funny. haha

Doug78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 09:39 PM

FYI.. I just picked up the 1.42GHz mini w/ SD from the Apple Store in Christiana Mall (DE) and it appears to be upgraded. I checked the serial # at the store on Apple's Support page and it was listed as "Late 2005". I'm going to set it up in the office in the morning, and I'll know for sure.

Doug78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2005, 01:43 PM

I can confirm that the stock mini I got yesterday from an Apple Store is upgraded! Sweet!

CrazedVW
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2005, 11:28 PM

Just picked one up from the Richmond, Va Apple Store. One of the geniuses was nice enough to check the serial number for me before I bought it. Spiffy little machine.
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

Macrat
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2005, 11:11 PM

I just got a 1.42 combo from MacZone that was ordered on Sunday, and it ended up being the upgraded one.

Vidal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 07:35 PM

So, still nobody has found a new 1.5 Mini in the UK? Or even by the sound of it outside of the US? I tried to get one from a chain we have in London called Micro Anvika which is a long time fried of the Mac but they haven't seen any new spec machines even though they have been looking. Has anybody been able to get one outside the US?

hausdigler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2005, 03:53 AM

so are you guys saying if it says "Mac mini (late 2005)"when you enter the serial number, it is an upgraded one?

robo74
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2005, 10:09 PM

My family and friends have been "switching" like firefly's. Santa is bringing a few of them for the tree.
So I have two mac mini's here in my office that I need to update and get ready to wrap up.
The one I am on now, Combo Drive with upgraded processor and video.
It was ordered from apple.com a week and a half ago.

I will report the other.

Rob

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 16, 2005, 06:54 PM

I was browsing through the demo models at my local Apple shop in Guam and saw the Mac Mini. I decided to grab the mouse and clicked on "About This Mac". Yep, it's the upgraded 1.5 Ghz SuperDrive model.

So the stealth upgrades are available outside of the United States mainland. I'll be receiving mine next week after Christmas (bummer)

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 09:04 PM

Yep, they're available all over the world now. I got my upgraded one in the UK over a month ago. The general rule of thumb seems to be: get any build-to-order option = upgraded model.

d_oob
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2005, 02:33 AM

Picked up 1.5ghz, ATI with 64mb ram. I'm stoked on that sweet surprise. Picked up on the 15 of December in Honolulu, Hawai'i at the Ala Moana store.
retired pismo 400 G4, macbook 2.0GHz, mac pro 2.66GHz

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 01:18 PM

i wish it was a guarantee on the specs instead of a coinflip. i really want a desktop thats a bit faster than my pb, but i run on a 20" LCD so i want as much vram as possible and 64mb seems perfect, but theres no way i could risk the gamble just yet.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 04:16 PM

Well they aren't gonna annouce these upgrades at all now I think. New intel Minis will most likely come out in late January, so if you've waited this long I'd wait a little longer. I'm still happy I got mine a little while ago though, it's so nice to have a silent machine.

grinder
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2005, 01:54 PM

I got my 1,5 Combo at Amazon Germany. I don't know about the video ram.
How do I look up the serial number?
2,4GHz iMac | 320GB Passport | BT Keyboard | MX Revolution | 4GB iPod nano
Blog | Flickr | deviantART

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 01:58 PM

u dont need to look up serial numbers to figure out your video ram. click the apple-about this mac-more info-graphics/display and it'll tell you there.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2005, 05:17 PM

Got my Combo 1.42GHz mini (with RAM BTO option) from the AppleStore in Switzerland. The box said 1.42 and even the sticker on the bottom says 1.42. Chipmunk says:

Serial number: YM544***
Name: Mac mini
Model: Mxxxx Mac mini 1.5GHz
Bus speed: 167MHz
Factory: YM (China (Hon Hai / Foxconn) Configured in Czech Republic?)
URL: Technical specifications by apple-history.com code_to_number: 1V7 -
Model introduced: 2005
Production week: 44 (November)

It's definitely the 1.5GHz model with 5400rpm disk and 64MB VRAM.

Morpheus
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Got my Combo 1.42GHz mini (with RAM BTO option) from the AppleStore in Switzerland.
I ordered the same in the same place a few days ago . Were you able to track your shipment?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Morpheus
I ordered the same in the same place a few days ago . Were you able to track your shipment?
Yeah, but not with Apple's POS tracking page.

Instead I use this nice service here
http://www.apecode.com/appletrack/
Enter the ten digit order number that starts with 80..., click on 'Track' and on the next page where it says 'Error' click on the number (which is now a link). That should take you to the actual tracking page. They ship from Holland or Luxembourg (Eindhoven, Luxembourg, Arnhem). It takes one night by truck to get to the Swiss border. Customs can delay your parcel by a day. As soon as it passes, they deliver. TNT drops off twice a day. Be there or they won't drop it off. Good luck.

Morpheus
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2005, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Yeah, but not with Apple's POS tracking page.

Instead I use this nice service here
http://www.apecode.com/appletrack/
yeah.. I know that, but i always end up with a "destination: not found" on the final (=tnt) site.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Morpheus
yeah.. I know that, but i always end up with a "destination: not found" on the final (=tnt) site.
That's weird.

Give TNT a call (0800-555555) and ask where it is and when it is scheduled to arrive. Normally they are kind and have an idea where your ordered Apple blessing is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules