Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Use Netbook Ram on a Imac G4?

Use Netbook Ram on a Imac G4?
Coffee1970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2010, 10:40 AM

Hello,
I just won an auction on eBay for a 17" 1.25Ghz Imac g4.
It has only 256Mb installed....obviously want to upgrade.
I have a 1GB DDR2 667 from an Asus netbook laying around...it is also 200-pin.
Can I use this So-Dimm in the Imac...is it backwards compatible or not because of the difference in DDR and the DDR2?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 19, 2010, 11:22 AM

That iMac uses DDR, NOT DDR2 RAM. It isn't at all backward compatible, even if it has the same number of pins. Read all about the capacity of this machine on Crucial's web site.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Coffee1970  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2010, 11:51 AM

Rats! That's what I thought.
OK, thanks for the info....appreciate it.
-Brian

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2010, 08:34 AM

congrats on your purchase. i have a 800mhz g4 with superdrive and i've thought about upgrading to the same model you have. maybe some day. i've bought three laptops and two ipods off of ebay and all have been fine. hope yours works well, they're very stylish computers.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Coffee1970  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2010, 09:31 AM

I am looking forward to receiving this week. I only wish that I hadn't jumped the gun and got one with Tiger instead of Leopard.
I know that Tiger will run much faster and smoother on this machine, but still like Leopard, as I had it before on a 1Ghz G4 Powermac and it was great.
I did find a 1GB PC3200 stick that I can install in the "non-user" slot...most likely replacing the factory 256 thats in there. Would be nice if the installed 256 is actually in the so-dimm user slot.
This way I would have 1.25GB of Ram, but no biggie. I plan on getting a 1GB so-dimm off of eBay and possibly an Airport Extreme card to complete the iMac...should be fun!
Probably just use it for iTunes, syncing apps on my new iPod touch (which is extremely cool and recommended), photo viewer, etc, etc.
-Brian

Forum Links
Forum Rules