Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ye'Ole Dead Backlight

Ye'Ole Dead Backlight
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2011, 01:01 AM

So there's a MacBook with a dead backlight. I did the obvious first step, and replaced the inverter board. Sadly, that had no effect.

So the next logical step is to replace the LCD itself.
I'm just fishing for second opinions, as this client doesn't have a lot of money, and lets be honest, she's attractive so I'm going the extra mile.

When you boot up the computer, you get a flash of backlight, and then nothing. It does this at the same point in bootup, every time you bootup. If you are resetting the PRAM, every time the computer reboots, you get a flash of backlight. This makes me think that it is actually the backlight in the LCD, and not something crazy like the logic board. Besides that, the service manual agrees that first you replace the inverter board, then you replace the LCD (then the logic board).

Let me know if you have any thoughts. And FYI I have done this a million times before but, still it can't hurt to have a consensus. At this point, I'd say the "no backlight" problem is the inverter board 66% of the time, and the LCD itself 33% of the time. I feel so bad when spending $$$ on the inverter doesn't fix the client's computer, but I am very clear with the clients, that it might not work, that it is a gamble, and that you start with the cheap part, and replace more expensive parts as you go. Also this is a Late 2008 MacBook.

Rumor
Aug 25, 2011, 01:50 AM

By some odd chance could it be a pinched cable somewhere?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2011, 01:51 AM

I booted with no top case and fiddled with all of the cables while it was running, and didn't get even a slight flash of backlight, so I tend to think its not the cables. One cable did look like it could have been damaged, but the very regular behavior of the flash on boot makes me think it's not a cable issue.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2011, 02:15 AM

My iMac display recently started to flicker.

I got a quote for repair, driver board £100, LCD £500+ (more than I paid for 4 year old refurb iMac !)

Looked into buying a new iMac.

Rang Apple UK, they put me through to Service, who talked to me, for free, and held my hand as I did the following, over 15 minutes.

They suggested PRAM reset, which cured the problem totally.

(Shutdown, power cable remove, remove all cables except keyboard, power cable in, power up with 4 fingered keypress, wait for beeps x 2, cables back in...OK)

Thanks Apple, saved me a lot of £££'s

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2011, 02:19 AM

I did reset this computer's PRAM, it didn't fix it's problem.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2011, 07:42 AM

Sounds like the panel to me. These panels are cheap and you don't actually have to take the lid off to swap them if you are careful.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2011, 07:50 AM

Ive swapped a ton of panels but i've never tried doing one without removing the display module.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2011, 08:12 AM

The only tricky part is connecting the backlight to the inverter.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

euphras
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2012, 07:12 PM

Some days ago i was able to fix a broken inverter board by myself. See my technical blog entry aubout this:

euphras´s thoughts on (technical) things: Reviving a ten years old Powerbook Titanium (inverter board fixing)

I´m posting from said machine.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Forum Links
Forum Rules