Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bypassing parental controls?

Bypassing parental controls?
platinumlolita
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2009, 03:30 PM

i've got the mac os 10.5 parental controls... I get an hour a day time limit. The browser acts funny and doesn't like insecure connections, especially to facebook and google login. I've got a log that shows what I do. Damn, these controls are tight! so, is there any way of like extending my time limit? I've heard of this... just don't know how.
What to you is a backdoor may be a grand entrance hall to me. Go ATV hacking!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2009, 03:37 PM

This is gonna be fun.

-t

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 27, 2009, 04:00 PM

Yep, the easiest way to bypass the controls is to ask mom/dad
~Mike

ghporter
Administrator
May 27, 2009, 04:21 PM

What Maflynn said. If someone has instituted parental controls on the computer you use, it's almost certainly "their" computer. It's our policy not to help people circumvent access controls instituted by the owner of the equipment, whether it's your parents or your employer.

Ask your parents for more time, make a good case for it, and live up to the need to get real stuff done like homework and chores. Yes I'm a parent. That doesn't matter. It's not yours, and those controls are there for a reason.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

davidbk1
May 28, 2009, 12:20 AM

It's the simplest thing. Just buy a new computer.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by davidbk1 View Post
It's the simplest thing. Just buy a new computer.

-t

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2009, 03:17 PM

The biggest hassle with Parental Controls (speaking as the one who set them up) is the inability to access secure web sites. My sons are in a couple of fantasy baseball leagues at ESPN.com and they can't access them. We've tried adding every possible ESPN domain and sub-domain via Parental Controls. No go. Only way was to log in to my account and let them do what they needed to with their teams.

I've "fixed" this by opening up (i.e., relaxing) the controls over web sites, although they may not realize that they can pretty much go anywhere. I still check the log on a regular basis.

BTW, they are aware of the logs. We went to a fairly restrictive set of Parental Controls about a year ago when they were busted for a couple of websites. Whether or not they realize they can go anywhere on the web, they still know that all site visits are tracked.

Supposedly, 10.5.7 improved Parental Controls but not sure if secure site access was one of the items. Staying on 10.5.6 until I hear that some reported problems with HP drivers are resolved.

QS

platinumlolita  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by QSilver View Post
The biggest hassle with Parental Controls (speaking as the one who set them up) is the inability to access secure web sites. My sons are in a couple of fantasy baseball leagues at ESPN.com and they can't access them. We've tried adding every possible ESPN domain and sub-domain via Parental Controls. No go. Only way was to log in to my account and let them do what they needed to with their teams.

I've "fixed" this by opening up (i.e., relaxing) the controls over web sites, although they may not realize that they can pretty much go anywhere. I still check the log on a regular basis.

BTW, they are aware of the logs. We went to a fairly restrictive set of Parental Controls about a year ago when they were busted for a couple of websites. Whether or not they realize they can go anywhere on the web, they still know that all site visits are tracked.

Supposedly, 10.5.7 improved Parental Controls but not sure if secure site access was one of the items. Staying on 10.5.6 until I hear that some reported problems with HP drivers are resolved.

QS
I'll give updating a go. that stupid secure website is quite a problem.

platinumlolita  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
What Maflynn said. If someone has instituted parental controls on the computer you use, it's almost certainly "their" computer. It's our policy not to help people circumvent access controls instituted by the owner of the equipment, whether it's your parents or your employer.

Ask your parents for more time, make a good case for it, and live up to the need to get real stuff done like homework and chores. Yes I'm a parent. That doesn't matter. It's not yours, and those controls are there for a reason.
well, you are an administrator, so I'll take your word for it.

platinumlolita  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2009, 03:38 PM

seriously, though. there's no backdoor or sudo hole or anything! I even emulated reactos and ubuntu and that stupid website blocker still shows up! but... I suppose it is impressive how apple has improved parental controls since tiger...

no matter. my netbook is coming in the mail anyways. just got to be patient.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 29, 2009, 05:26 PM

Honestly, you've got two options, if your parents trust you, reason with them. If they don't try not being a brat and see if they start trusting you more? Otherwise you can always get new parents... I hear you can buy them on the intertubes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules