Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nexus One

Nexus One (Page 8)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 14, 2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
As long as you can still get it unlocked, this is fine. Selling a phone in a brick-and-mortar store is a better idea anyway, since people like to be able to see a phone in person before they buy it
Ok well I don't know what elite cell boutiques you got there but 95% of the phones I ever see on display are fake plastic ones with a tether. If not they are clamped down with some part broken. I also see plenty on display in a glass table all off.

I go into lots tech stores all the time and last week was the FIRST time I saw an Android phone on display and working. Actually the salesman was walking around with the Sony model trying to sell it in person.

The iPhone was one of the first ones they put on display on its own kiosk and the damn thing worked for all to use.

If you are thinking normal people are going to casually stroll into best buy / radio shack / AT&T and find a Nexus on display (in a sea of about 50 others just like it) and be so taken with it they will buy an expensive smartphone for full price with no contract or carrier? All this while the sales staff advertise and push phones with plans no less.

You've lost your bananas.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2010, 04:03 PM

Dude, the Nexus One is cheaper than most other smartphones, including the iPhone, and is available both on and off contract. We covered this way back on page one.

And yes, here in the States at least, phones in stores may be on a tether, but you are usually able to play with it and see how it looks and works. I don't know if it's different in Canada.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 14, 2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Dude, the Nexus One is cheaper than most other smartphones, including the iPhone, and is available both on and off contract. We covered this way back on page one.
Ok good to know. So you're saying (Much like before) because of these wonderful Nexus advantages it will be MORE or equal successful as when the largest search company with huge name recognition didn't already label it a failed experiment?

I give it 3 months before they stop making it completely, you seem to think it will be discovered and prosper.

Lets check back in a few months and we'll see if you predictions have gotten any more acurate.

Oh, and this chart gave me a friggin headache.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ok good to know. So you're saying (Much like before) because of these wonderful Nexus advantages it will be MORE or equal successful as when the largest search company with huge name recognition didn't already label it a failed experiment?

I give it 3 months before they stop making it completely, you seem to think it will be discovered and prosper.
If it weren't obvious that Android will succeed in the end, you wouldn't be so defensive and panicky about it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2010, 04:35 PM

And ya I am sure people will still want the nexus when carriers aren't carrying or advertising with it and there is newer better models that came out such as the incredible. Strange how trackpads were only invented by HTC 3 months after the Nexus and its single ball came out. Shame.
You need to do some Googling.

The Nexus One is the best Android device on AT&T and T-Mobile. The Incredible is for Verizon. Verizon won't be getting the Nexus One (it's essentially the same hardware).

I don't think that HTC "invented" trackpads 3 months after the Nexus One came out, considering the devices with trackpads were shown at MWC in January 2010, before the Nexus One was announced, and phones take longer than a few days to engineer.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; May 14, 2010 at 04:44 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2010, 04:36 PM

Ok well I don't know what elite cell boutiques you got there but 95% of the phones I ever see on display are fake plastic ones with a tether. If not they are clamped down with some part broken. I also see plenty on display in a glass table all off.
I'm not sure what an "elite cell boutique" is, but in America, we go to the Verizon store, or AT&T store, etc, and play with any device you wish. There are four VZW stores in my city.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 14, 2010, 06:21 PM

I’m actually with analogue on this one: as far as I recall, in every carrier store I’ve been in, a large portion of the phones on display are dummy models.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2010, 09:18 PM

Oh shit.

I have no doubt that Android will endure (and I want it to), but that there is one hell of an argument for a closed ecosystem and its controllable updates.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2010, 10:41 PM

Each of those phones have different hardware, so when you write an app for Android, you have to make sure it works on 20 different phones.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2010, 11:01 PM

Yes, I know.

I understand that graphic.

Do you understand why I think it's a hell of an argument in favor of Apple's closed ecosystem?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2010, 12:59 AM

I was just elaborating for others. The all-in-one package obviously has its benefits, however annoying it may be to some developers.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 15, 2010, 02:01 AM

My neighbor has some sort of Nexus One.

We can't figure out how to attach a photo (taken on the phone) to an email.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2010, 02:14 AM

I'm going to assume he has the same gallery app that I have on my 2.1 equipped G1.

Open the photo, push the menu button, push share, and then choose from picasa / messaging / bluetooth / facebook / gmail / email.

Seems pretty easy to me

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2010, 01:57 PM

That chart isn't exactly correct.

The Hero and Moment are both running 2.1, and all the Motorola devices currently running 1.6 will be updated as soon as Moto updates its (terrible) Blur interface for 2.1.

But yes, fragmentation is by far the biggest issue facing Android, and it's one that Google will address with 3.0, starting with minimum requirements for hardware, very similar to the approach that Microsoft is taking with Windows Phone 7 vendors.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; May 15, 2010 at 02:07 PM. )

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2010, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
My neighbor has some sort of Nexus One.

We can't figure out how to attach a photo (taken on the phone) to an email.
I've played with a Nexus One. Sending photos was easy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules