Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Backup Server that works with OS X Intel

Backup Server that works with OS X Intel
Mike.Bowden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2007, 11:36 PM

Ok let me explain my setup, then I'll explain exactly what it is I'm looking for.

Currently I have 3 Mac's in the house, 1 Mac Pro, 1 iMac, 1 MacBook. I also have 3 Windows computers, 1 XP Pro (Backup Server), 1 Win2k (WoW/SpiceWorks/UO Server), 1 HP Notebook (Bedroom TV - Don't Ask).

So basically I need to run a windows backup server, that will connect to all of the networked computers, backup the required files, archive them and then do incremental backups of each computer on a nightly basis. What's the best software to use for this?

MikeBowden.com: WordPress insights from a full-stack developer...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2007, 11:46 PM

Are you set on having the Windows server pull files from your networked Macs? If so, you might have better luck posting this question to a Windows forum?

Mike.Bowden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2007, 11:49 PM

I posted here because I want it to work with the Macs.

If no one has any ideas, then I will go to a Windows forum.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2007, 11:53 PM

If you are pulling from the Macs, all that is needed on their end is to enable Windows File Sharing (Samba).

Mike.Bowden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 12:10 AM

Well I want a client based system. Where I run a client on each system and then the server communicates with all the clients. I've heard that works better that way.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2007, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mike.Bowden View Post
Well I want a client based system. Where I run a client on each system and then the server communicates with all the clients. I've heard that works better that way.
So the clients will be pushing to the backup server? I do agree, this approach makes for a better backup design.

The way I see it, you have two approaches:

1) Something that scripts backup syncs via Samba

2) Running Cygwin on your Windows machine and handling your backups in a way that is abstracted from any file sharing protocol (be it AFP or Samba)

I'm partial to a Unix centric approach myself, but most here probably aren't. I would suggest checking out popular Mac backup apps and see whether they support backups over Samba (Samba is, AFAIK, the name given to the reverse engineered Windows File Sharing mechanism for Unix). Popular backup apps for the Mac include SuperDuper and Synk. Others here might be able to recommend others, I've never used anything else since I just rely upon Unix rsync.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2007, 01:45 AM

Retrospect is an option.
Vandelay Industries

Mike.Bowden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Others here might be able to recommend others, I've never used anything else since I just rely upon Unix rsync.
I've tried rsync and while I would have eventually figured out how to configure it and make it work, I'd rather have a system that was easier to implement and even more so, easier to manage.

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Retrospect is an option.
I've downloaded the trial version of Retrospect for Windows Professional, I think. But I can't seem to figure out how to install the Mac client, it wasn't with the trail download and every instance of it in the help files point to using the CD. I've contacted the people that make Retrospect to find out what they say, but no word yet.

Their system seems very close to what I want, but I've heard a lot of bad things about Retrospect not working properly with Macs and also that the backups seem to get broken far too often, but I was still willing to give it a try and see how it held up for me, however I can't seem to get the Mac clients installed. Which is really what I need. My servers I can live without the files, now my iMac (Wife's with all of our pictures, all 5,000 worth) and my Mac Pro (my computer with all my work, college and personal projects), I can not live without at all.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2007, 07:44 AM

I've heard a lot of bad things about Retrospect not working properly with Macs
I think you will find Retrospect is perfect for your backup scheme. It has been one of the best Mac programs, either Client or Server, since forever. The Mac client lives here:
EMC Insignia : Product Downloads & Updates

Mike.Bowden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
I think you will find Retrospect is perfect for your backup scheme. It has been one of the best Mac programs, either Client or Server, since forever. The Mac client lives here:
Outstanding. Got the Mac version I was looking for and I've got it installed and just finished configuring it. I'm running a backup set now, want to see how long it takes as well as how much it backs up. So far I haven't had any problems and have even learned about a 1 feature I really like. Encryption

I trust companies like Mozy, but I'm sorry I don't want my personal files flying across the tubes of the Internet, without everything being encrypted.

I do have one question though. I've got encryption set on Mozy, as well as Retrospect now, can they both encrypt my data for double protection? Or will it not work as expected?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2007, 08:19 AM

I think that double encryption is from the Department of Redundancy Department! 128 bit encryption is pretty hard to crack.

Mike.Bowden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 08:21 AM

I think that double encryption is from the Department of Redundancy Department! 128 bit encryption is pretty hard to crack.
Yeah I kind of figured as much.

Thanks for the help Sherman, now I can really utilize my 30 day trial of Retrospect and see if it's worth the $140.

Another question. Do they limit the number of client computers that connect to the server software?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2007, 08:51 AM

The Retrospect server is a lot of money... the first client license covers 100 machines.

Mike.Bowden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 08:56 AM

Good deal. So far so good. Looks like it's going to take a few hours to backup one computer. So it will probable be running for the next few days in order to tackle all the other computers in the house. Getting them configured now.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mike.Bowden View Post
I've tried rsync and while I would have eventually figured out how to configure it and make it work, I'd rather have a system that was easier to implement and even more so, easier to manage.

Well, of course YMMV and this is just an opinion, but to me "easier to manage" is exactly a system like this that removes layers of abstraction and allows me to see and troubleshoot exactly what is going on. If you are looking for a GUI wrapper for your rsync command, check out Platypus, and for scheduling check out cron or anacron.

You can push the single public/private key pair to all the machines in your house via an scp command (keys are not tied to each machine).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2007, 01:33 PM

It was not the best Mac program since forever at my old Mac-based workplace. I can't remember the exact details, but I'm just pointing out to the original poster that there are those who likely would echo this sentiment FWIW...

cms
Senior User
Sep 29, 2007, 10:31 AM

I swear by Retrospect in a multi-client environment and also on my own home network. It takes a bit of "learning" but once yuo get your head around how it works, it simple, fast, efficient and reliable. I like the fact that it can back up (from a Mac as the OP wants) Windoze boxes too. It is very flexbile, can be customized to do exactly what you want it to do and when, is easily configurable to filter out stuff you don't want, and runs unattended without any issues 99% of the time.

It is often criticized for being "too complicated", but that's simply not true. Granted, it's GUI isn't the most attractive, and you need a working knowledge of where stuff "lives" on each OS, but other than that, I really can't understand the negative reviews it often seems to attract. I've used it for years, and find it an excellent solution on a network with 1,800 client machines (mixed Windoze and Mac), and at home, where there are just 5.

BTW, you don't need to spring for the server version to run a standalone backup server. Retrospect Desktop, Workgroup and Server software is all the same. The only difference in price is in the number of client licences it includes. From memory, it's 3 for Desktop, 20 for Workgroup and 100 for Server.

Mike.Bowden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2007, 10:41 AM

cms, thanks for the input. I've been using Retrospect ever since this post and I must say I do like it thus far. I need to optimize the windows machine a bit more that it's running on, as it's not as fast as I'd like for it to be, but all in all it's a good program and seems to be doing exactly what I want it to do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules