Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger - who here is happy?

Tiger - who here is happy? (Page 2)
JLL
Professional Poster
May 1, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel
Ditto�
Double Ditto
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Jeff75
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 01:25 PM

No problems here - extremely smooth upgrade, even on a middle-aged system (Mirror drive door dual 1.0 gigahertz with an Apple SCSI drive). All contacts, calendar events, bookmarks synched perfectly. I did a straight-up update install, without any archiving. I actually like the new Mail app - the icons are less intuitive, that's my only criticism. Spotlight is still crunching away, so I can't try that. Widgets work fine. Nothing broke - Photoshop works, Keynote, Pages, Excel, VueScan, InDesign, iTunes... I am impressed!

Now to try it on my 1.67 AluBook!
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 02:00 PM

I'm zipping along on a 733 G4 Quicksilver. My system feels faster, but it's starting to show the passing of the years. My hardware simply can't handle all of the New Hotness� which is a hard pill to swallow because my system has been running so smoothly for so many years. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way upset about all of the new capabilities, it's just difficult to think that my hardware is now falling into the "legacy" zone where more and more features will no longer be supported (it's 4+ years old, so again, I'm not complaining)

When I visited the Apple Store yesterday, it was a reality check that even the slowest systems were light-years ahead of my tower. Time to start considering an upgrade!

mpbritt
May 1, 2005, 02:17 PM

After a bit of a rough Erase and Install (long story) I'm getting Tiger shaken out and overall I'm happy with the upgrade. My 1.5Ghz PowerBook is faster and all the apps I use the most work flawlessly, just as I expected they would.

I highly recommend 10.4.

ctbritt
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 03:54 PM

Still waiting for mine. FedEx is slow here in Baghdad.
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

ntt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 05:11 PM

I'm loving it. As a developer there's a world of new things for me to work with.
I just created my first Automator Action, workflow, and spotlight tools.
Next up... who knows, there's Core Image, Core Data and a whole bunch of other convenient tools.
http://bestbits.ii.net/ for widgets and more

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 05:34 PM

I love it. I'd buy it just for the awesome Airport reception boost.
iamwhor3hay

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 02:45 AM

Two installs on my two Macs and all went well. Easiest install I've ever done.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 02:52 AM

<double post>
( Last edited by Randman; May 2, 2005 at 04:19 AM. )

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2005, 04:12 AM

For me Tiger has not been such a smooth transition, I installed it first on my PB over Panther...things didn't seem right. First there were issues with mail, mostly because of my httpmail plugin, so I removed that but still there were issues with mail, I have two imap mail boxes configured and it seems to have trouble loading up mail messages, especially ones with attachments...I get this loading mail message for like a minute, then if I switch between the mail boxes on the right a few times all of a sudden all the messages disappear and then re-appear like 1 - 2 minutes later, so mail is buggy as hell. Safari also has issues when it comes to certain archives, I was in the process of installing Adobe Photoshop 7 and wanted to update it to 7.0.1 so I went to download the update, when downloaded from safari and decompressed the contents of the archive contain no data, yet when I do the same thing from firefox it works perfectly. I've tried this same thing with other archives as well so something is definitely up with safari. These, although fairly minor problems are still quite an annoyance. I later did a clean install of it on my PB and still these issues exist so I am going to hold off on installing this thing on my Sawtooth Desktop until Mail.app is stable again and Safari can download .sit and .hqx archives properly, but I will keep it on my PB. I'm still not quite sure what to think of Dashboard...it seems like a really useless feature to me, not impressed by it at all infact, perhaps I am not seeing it's potential? Anyway if anyone can show me something really cool and useful about dashboard I'd appreciate it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 04:16 AM

I'm very happy.

Installed it on my 1.67GHz 15" PowerBook over (a fresh and clean) 10.3.9 and it all worked just fine. Then decided to put it on my g/f's iMac G4 17" 1GHz (again over 10.3.9) and it went fine too.

Apart from some little bugs (that I hope will be cured with 10.4.1) like slow AFP communication and the stupid first-Finder-window-is-always-FUBAR-bug everything is very smooth and neat. Tiger is indeed snappier and brings a lot of great stuff (Dictionary.app, Dashboard, new Mail.app, etc.).

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 10:03 AM

Happy, 2 perfect Archive & Installs on RevB DP2.0 G5 and RevA 1.25 AluPB ...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 10:10 AM

SO far I've been very happy with my install as well. To me Tiger is the BEST version of OS X to date.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

The Mick
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 10:29 AM

Very pleased with the upgrade to Tiger, no problems at all so far.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

DarwinX
May 2, 2005, 10:46 AM

So far so good. I agree with Randman at how easy and smooth an install it was. It ran fine all weekend. It was fun to just play around with all the new advertised features, and some of the smaller unknown ones. I really hate to use the snappy word, but it genuinely feels that way. This is prime time OS X. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. I did an archive and install on PowerBook G4 12" rev. C

P.S.S. Anyone played with the new parental controls? I have a guest account with no password so friends can use my computer easily and not mess up my stuff....I totally had to go in and configure things before they could even open Safari and surf to a website.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2005, 11:07 AM

Sorry, I thought this was the bug list thread -- clicked the wrong link by mistake. I was really happy with Tiger till about 10 minutes ago. Here's my post about broken backwards AFP compatibility if you're interested: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...99#post2506999.
( Last edited by beverson; May 2, 2005 at 11:16 AM. Reason: wrong thread)

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2005, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by ctbritt
Still waiting for mine. FedEx is slow here in Baghdad.

This has nothing to do with Tiger but your web-site is great. Keep safe and come home (where ever that is) alive.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

wigglywoo
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 12:31 PM

I have had some gltches, but overall the perfomance is faster on my g5 imac is sweet and my imac g3 400mhz feels really stable and much faster indeed. Thanks Apple.

tdvorak
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 04:34 PM

I had a couple of glitches wtih mail not updating the mail properlym but I overcame that and all is well.

I am very happy with Tiger.

2 G4 PowerBooks
1 FP iMac
1 B&W G3

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by tdvorak
I had a couple of glitches wtih mail not updating the mail properlym but I overcame that and all is well.

I am very happy with Tiger.
Have you used Tiger with the FP Mac? I am wondering if I should upgrade or stick with 10.3.9 (which works well). This is the first 800 G4.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

tdvorak
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 05:27 PM

No, I have only tried it on my PowerBook G4 1.25. Seems to run great on that. I am a little hesitant to put in on the FP iMac, it's my partner's mac and I don't want to fowl it up... yet!

2 G4 PowerBooks
1 FP iMac
1 B&W G3

insha
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 07:54 PM

Three clean installs on three Macs. Not a problem so far; with the exception of minor Dock bug. Other then that, Tiger is Awesome.

The three Macs are as follows:
  • TiBook 550 - 1GB RAM
  • AlBook 15" 1.5 512MB RAM
  • Mac mini 512MB RAM

[Edit: Proper notation for the Ram]
( Last edited by insha; May 2, 2005 at 08:49 PM. )

Abit667
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 08:07 PM

I'll probably go back to panther. I just don't like it.

glyph
May 2, 2005, 09:04 PM

I upgraded from 10.3.9 on my dual 1.8ghz G5 and am a little disappointed. It's like a beta release with numerous bugs - that is something I'm not used to on a Mac. My Panther version ran as you'd expect it to - no weird behavior whatsoever.

Some of the glitches I experienced were: registration app froze, some third party apps had to be re-installed, quicktime works but has some weird behaviors (two help menus, won't maximize after minumizing, window opens with a strange looking window - or window won't open at all until a media file is opened) When browsing in Finder I noticed some of the files were overlapped - this was remedied by switching directories and returning to the original directory. It's buggy.

I hope they put out an update soon.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2005, 09:32 PM

Very happy with two Archive and Installs--G3 700 and Rev A G5. There was a problem with Vuescan, but it was fixed in a day or so.
( Last edited by Ron Goodman; May 7, 2005 at 11:14 PM. )

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2005, 09:41 PM

Aside from two little annoyances in Finder, which I have mentioned in another thread seeking help, I am very happy with it. All seems to be faster and just as smooth.

karmaworld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 11:11 PM

Simple upgrade install on Dual G5 and G4 ibook, had to do a clean install on G3 iMac DV 400 (no DVD drive) in target disc mode from G5 and all (3) machines were up and running in less than 2 hours cumulative time....by far the easiest upgrade since OS X beta...can't stress enough the importance of still backing up your data (I prefer a bootable clone on my main work machine).

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2005, 11:27 PM

For the improved responsiveness of navigating in Finder, XCode 2.0, and Widgets, its worth $129 to me... WAY faster at opening directories full of images... WAY faster!

P.S. No major problems.. I had a minor issue with networking. But it was easy to fix and I'm happy!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2005, 09:20 AM

So far I'm happy with the upgrade as well. My machines are definitely much faster in booting up. Did a clean install on 3 machines and have not had a sing;e problem yet and did a archive and install on a fourth and no problems yet. I'd reccomend this upgrade.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2005, 09:39 AM

In a word: No. Copy-and-pasted from my blog:
Tiger frustrations

I recently upgraded to the newest version of Mac OS X: 10.4, a.k.a. "Tiger." Aside from the complaints I listed before about rsync, I've had a lot of problems with Spotlight.

Even after leaving my computer on all night for Spotlight to index my drives, I find that the mds and mdimport processes will randomly launch and take up all of my CPU. This occurs even if I haven't mounted any disks or even done a Spotlight search recently. I also often find LAServer eating whatever CPU mds and mdimport will leave it.

While this is happening, my system slows to a crawl, and Spotlight refuses to give any results for anything, even files that I know exist. While Spotlight is thinking, the menubar and Dock are completely unresponsive. Also seemingly related is the phenomenon where Open File dialog boxes will freeze for over a minute when selecting an item. And often nothing happens when I try to add an item to the "do not index" list in the Spotlight prefpane.

I've also found many other minor bugs, like misbehavior when minimizing movies in QuickTime, but this Spotlight stuff is killing me. My computer randomly becomes unusable for hours at a time. Apple, hurry up with 10.4.1!

pete
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 10:16 AM

Relatively happy. Smooth upgrade but lots of trouble with Spotlight. Now it's working after re-inexing many times, but still. When I attach an external hard drive it wants to index that but I don't want to wait hours. I just want a simple search function, without the fancy stuff.

Overall, as an upgrade, I'd give tiger 6/10. Because I was just as happy with Panther, if not happier. Worth $129? Not really, imo.

Summary: happy but slightly underwhelmed. Come across several bugs, some small and some large. Stable though.

gheff
May 8, 2005, 01:26 PM

Dual 1.8 G5 here. Mostly happy.

I was really happy with 10.3.9. It had pretty much cleaned up all the issues I had. I had skipped .8 due to the fan issues, but with .9 my system was quiet and speedy.

10.4 gave me even more of teh snappy, at the expense of teh quiet. The infamous G5 chirp. Mine is of the first generation of dual 1.8s but I never really heard the chirp until after the Tiger install.

Other than that, the new features are fun/useful. All of my favorite tools seem to work as well as or better under Tiger.

Forum Links
Forum Rules