Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why don't my macs boot from original CD

Why don't my macs boot from original CD
el chupacabra
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 11:54 PM

Yes so what does it meaneth if none of my computers will boot from the CD that came with them? Is there a way to fix this? Some combination of keys to hold down at start up?

Basically as I've updated my mac's OS's over the years I burn or purchase new updated discs for OS 9 and 10; once I install the update it seems that the option of using any other disc older than the updated one to initialize the HD won't work. Maybe it's the firmware update that is interfering too... Also I purchased apple care which came with a techtool CD, that CD no longer boots my imac now that I updated to Tiger.

Any ideas?

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006, 05:20 AM

The computer should always boot with the install CDs or DVDs it came with. It is completely irrelevant which OS is installed in the drive for the computer to boot from the optical disc.

Are you restarting the computer with the install disc in and holding the C key? Any interesting thing happens when you try this on screen or just boots from the hard drive?

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2006, 07:27 AM

As long as your using the cd that came with the mac, it should boot.

Apple does key the disk to the model, that is you cannot boot off an install cd that came with a G5 powermac on your imac but aside from that as eevyl said by rebooting and holding the C key down it should work

-D

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2006, 09:21 AM

A system may fail to boot from the original disc if key hardware has been changed (like a video card, perhaps).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

el chupacabra  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2006, 03:08 PM

I know about holding the C key and the option key, havent changed any hardware other than ram; they are the CDs that came with the computer too. Oh well guess this isn't a common problem, I'll just have to tinker with it some more.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2006, 03:17 AM

maybe you have a bad CD/DVD drive..... (but on -all- of your computers?!) (unlikely)

or maybe you've updated the hard disk drivers -in addition- to each time you installed the Mac OS and updated them as well. I did something similar like this on Mac OS 8.5/8.1 and my old Mac OS 7.5 install CD wouldn't recognize the disk until i erased the 8.x hard disk driver completely (zero-ed all data) and re-wrote the driver using an old version of Disk Setup.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2006, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ
maybe you have a bad CD/DVD drive..... (but on -all- of your computers?!) (unlikely)

or maybe you've updated the hard disk drivers -in addition- to each time you installed the Mac OS and updated them as well. I did something similar like this on Mac OS 8.5/8.1 and my old Mac OS 7.5 install CD wouldn't recognize the disk until i erased the 8.x hard disk driver completely (zero-ed all data) and re-wrote the driver using an old version of Disk Setup.
Even in the case your install CDs don't recognize the internal disks, they still are able to boot the hardware, right? The OP seems to be unable to even do that, but I'm kind of clueless.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2006, 04:53 AM

It seems every new Mac i buy the AppleCare Techtool CD NEVER works with computer it shipped with. Whats up with that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules