Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > hey frequent flyers: is a 15" MBP easy to travel with?

hey frequent flyers: is a 15" MBP easy to travel with?
ph0ust
Senior User
Nov 3, 2006, 04:27 PM

hi all. i travel a lot for work and am wondering what those of you who do the same think of your 15" mbp. does it fit most pull out trays on planes? is it compact and light enough to still be convenient?

i currently have a 12" pb g4, which will be replaced soon with either a mb or a 15" mbp. i got the 12" pb specifically because i want to be able to use my computer while on a plane and while toting the damn thing around everywhere. i am nervous about getting a mbp because i am not sure the screen would be able to get opened when on a flight tray. any thoughts, comments or feedback from people going through this would be great. thanks.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 05:33 PM

You might look into a MacBook, depending on your needs. What do you use your PB for?

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Nov 3, 2006, 05:44 PM

i am looking into a mb and mbp. my needs won't tax the machine too much, but i will be running windows under boot camp, parallels or both. mostly typical business work using office. perhaps some photo editing (of 8+ megapixel raw files) using aperture when i am away from my imac.

i would likely just go with a mb if they had updated the processor already. i know the difference is marginal, but i hate buying a machine with an outdated processor regardless of marginal improvements.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 06:10 PM

Aperture will see big improvements on an MBP which has a real GPU and dedicated video memory.

volcano
Senior User
Nov 3, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ph0ust View Post
i am looking into a mb and mbp. my needs won't tax the machine too much, but i will be running windows under boot camp, parallels or both. mostly typical business work using office. perhaps some photo editing (of 8+ megapixel raw files) using aperture when i am away from my imac.

i would likely just go with a mb if they had updated the processor already. i know the difference is marginal, but i hate buying a machine with an outdated processor regardless of marginal improvements.
Aperture and 8+ MB RAW files?

MacBook Pro, hands down.

Honestly, this has nothing to do with whether or not the MacBook has the Intel Core 2 Duo or Core Duo, this is all about dedicated video memory and a real GPU. Intel's Integrated Graphics and the 64MB of shared VRAM will really test your patience.

If you're looking to save a few bucks, just buy a refurb MacBook Pro with the Intel Core Duo. The processor speed difference is marginal, but I'd take the refurb MBP with a ATI Radeon X1600 and 128MB of VRAM over a new MacBook with 64MB of shared VRAM any day of the week.

Nyuni
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 07:20 PM

To speak to your question about traveling with the 15" MBP, I find that it really isn't any more obtrusive than my old 12" iBook which I traveled with extensively. The MBP is indeed a bit wider, but it still fits nicely a tray table on the plane, while its thin profile makes it easy to pull out for security checks. In short, I find it no harder to travel with than my old 12" iBook, which was always a breeze.

I echo the statements about wanting the MBP for the dedicated video memory if you're going to be working in Aperture. Combine it with the fact that the refurb MBP RevA's can be had for -excellent- prices, and it makes for a very lucrative buy. Good luck!
The Quintessential Featherhead.

phazedowt
Nov 4, 2006, 12:29 AM

I have a 15" MBP and prior to that, a 15" alu PB (roughly same form factor). I also travel a fair amount. Usage on flights is fine, *except* when the person on front decides to lean their seat back. Then, things can get cramped.
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Nov 4, 2006, 03:39 PM

thanks all. price is not a concern of mine, and as i said.... aperture is an after-thought since i will use my laptop for work and do most photo editing on my imac. that said, it would be nice to be able to use aperture without any major pain.

my single biggest concern is travel convenience, since i am on a plane just about every week. sounds like those of you traveling regularly with a 15" mbp are not having trouble with it though. if anyone else out their can echo those statements i suppose the mbp should be fine.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2006, 04:28 PM

Since price is not a problem, will you buy me an apple cinema display? :-)
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2006, 05:50 PM

i wouldnt mind a Display either. 24" will do me well

Forum Links
Forum Rules