Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new apple laptop soon?

new apple laptop soon?
gpro
Nov 6, 2006, 07:09 PM

will their be a new apple laptop soon? a newer one then the macbook pro intel core duo 2. because i am buying one in december or january and i am wondering if their is a new one coming out?

ibook_steve
Nov 6, 2006, 07:46 PM

The Core 2 Duo just came out two weeks ago. Figure approximately a 6 month cycle. There's no way of knowing exactly when. Buy what you can afford when you can afford it.

Steve

voth
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2006, 07:52 PM

Well with the Core 2 Quatro (whatever the quad core processor are being called) coming out sometime in November I would like to see Apple do something with them.

As for the holiday season nearing, I would hate to have Old Saint Nick carry one down the old chimney and have Steve decide to upgrade them on or before MWSF.

jay3ld
Senior User
Nov 6, 2006, 07:59 PM

10.5 Should be out in a month or 2 about. I am going to wait myself to get a new laptop till then to buy 10.5 with it...
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by jay3ld View Post
10.5 Should be out in a month or 2 about. I am going to wait myself to get a new laptop till then to buy 10.5 with it...
Leopard will be out in Q1 2007.

phazedowt
Nov 6, 2006, 08:43 PM

Well, Core 2 models started popping up in the PC world in late August. The core 2 MBP came out in late October. Likewise, Santa Rosa (next chipset and obvious basis for next MBP) is supposed to be available Q2'07 (January 2007 or later). You can do the math....
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by gpro View Post
i am wondering if their is a new one coming out?
There is ALWAYS something NEW coming out. This is a fact that YOU must come to terms with.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 08:52 PM

Santa Rosa comes out in Q2 '07— that's April, at best, and there are no new CPU chips scheduled then—just chipset and motherboard that should significantly improve performance. The next version of Merom (Penryn) comes out possibly in Q4 (October). Those are the mobile chips on Intel's roadmap. So do the math from there: probable upgrade after Q2, most likely a chip upgrade in January 2008 MacWorld, or perhaps very close to the 2007 holiday season, but unlikely.

I looked at that roadmap, and said to myself it would be a wiser business decision to upgrade the G4 now (i.e., I'm in the camp that can buy it now, so I bought it now. Additionally, it's a good time in the cycle).

US$.02

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2006, 10:16 PM

Quads aren't going in laptops in at least the next 6 months.

I'd guess the next MacBook Pro revision will be with the Santa Rosa launch in May-ish 2007.

Forum Links
Forum Rules