Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wi-Fi breach?

Wi-Fi breach?
dzp111
Senior User
Sep 16, 2009, 06:28 PM

First thing I saw on my MacBook this morning was the following window.

I use wpa2 with a complex pass code. I'm the only one with a Mac in the building (6-plex). I have an older iBook but it's not connected. The message says to try connecting again later but I never lost the signal. I'm confused...

.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Cold Warrior
Sep 16, 2009, 06:39 PM

Try renewing your dhcp lease. System Prefs > Network > Airport > Advanced > TCP/IP, Renew DHCP Lease.

If you're concerned about someone else using it, log into your router and examine its client table. It should list any other connected devices with their IP addresses.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2009, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Try renewing your dhcp lease. System Prefs > Network > Airport > Advanced > TCP/IP, Renew DHCP Lease.

If you're concerned about someone else using it, log into your router and examine its client table. It should list any other connected devices with their IP addresses.
Thanks for that Cold Warrior. After receiving that message, my connection was very slow (3 seconds for Google page), so I turned my modem and router off, and basically reset everything, including a restart.

I just went into my router and noticed that I had no encryption at all!! How can that be? I changed my pass code about a month ago. So I just put in a new password and I'll wait and see what's going to happen. Maybe it's time for a new router? My D-link is about 6 years old.

Btw, I couldn't find the Client Table that you mentioned. But I will renew my DHCP lease momentarily.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2009, 07:03 PM

Why is my dhcp lease button grayed out? It says I'm configured but I don't seem to have access.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2009, 07:21 PM

Question:

When configuring a wireless router, is it best to do it hard-wired, rather than wireless? Or does it make any difference?

ibook_steve
Sep 16, 2009, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by dzp111 View Post
Question:

When configuring a wireless router, is it best to do it hard-wired, rather than wireless? Or does it make any difference?
No difference.

"Why is my dhcp lease button grayed out? It says I'm configured but I don't seem to have access. "

Are you using DHCP and are your System Preferences unlocked (padlock in the lower lefthand corner)?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2009, 09:10 AM

Actually a lot of wireless routers will give you problems if you make changes wirelessly. Often, such changes disconnect you, so you're left with an "OK" window waiting for a response, and everything is sort of in limbo. I would recommend ALWAYS using a wired connection to alter configurations.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Sep 17, 2009, 11:07 AM

Are you using DHCP and are your System Preferences unlocked (padlock in the lower lefthand corner)?
Thanks. I completely missed it.

ibook_steve
Sep 17, 2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Actually a lot of wireless routers will give you problems if you make changes wirelessly. Often, such changes disconnect you, so you're left with an "OK" window waiting for a response, and everything is sort of in limbo. I would recommend ALWAYS using a wired connection to alter configurations.
True, but if you know what the changes are that you've made and can rearrange your network appropriately to reconnect with the router after the change, you can avoid moving and wiring up your router just to reconfigure it.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
True, but if you know what the changes are that you've made and can rearrange your network appropriately to reconnect with the router after the change, you can avoid moving and wiring up your router just to reconfigure it.

Steve
I just don't envision having a totally wireless network, so that solves that as an issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules