Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Support worker took over control of computer

Support worker took over control of computer
dzp111
Senior User
Mar 8, 2010, 07:21 PM

My mom runs Windows XP. She bought McAfee anti-virus then called the support number when she reached a support worker from India to help her out on a couple of issues. She says that the worker was pleasant and helpful.

But, during the process and after answering a few questions, the worker tells my mom to not touch anything, then mom sees her cursor doing its thing (remotely) on her desktop, until everything was done.

My mom thought it was pretty cool, but I couldn't help but cringe.

Is this something to be concerned about? Or am I just being paranoid? Is there something I can do for her to avoid this what I call 'invasion'?
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 07:23 PM

WTF ?

I'd be concerned. Your mom didn't even have to consent and press a button to hand over control.

-t

ibook_steve
Mar 8, 2010, 07:29 PM

Well, if it was your Mom as she's as non-tech savvy as most, chances are she didn't tell the whole story (like my mother and my mother-in-law, who now regard me as their tech support). She probably did consent to the agent "driving," she just didn't mention it to you.

Then again, this is Windows we're talking about here, so for all I know there's a way to do this without software consent. You need to find out for sure exactly what happened and how the agent got access.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Mar 8, 2010, 07:53 PM

I used to be "tech support" for family and friends who use Windows but I finally found it just too frustrating and lost patience. (I've been on the Mac (only), for nearly 22 years now). Half an hour to install a new printer? So a couple of years ago I told them all that they were on their own, and if they ever switch to Mac, I'll bend over backwards to whatever questions/problems they have -it's what I know best.

Back to the main issue. I too thought that remote access was a software thing. I myself use Timbuktu to help out the few friends who have switched.

So how do you think they got in there? Any idea?
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2010, 04:30 PM

You're being paranoid, mostly.
If a McAfee support rep can get onto that machine with no user intervention or consent, you have bigger issues.

Remote support applications are the most important tools in my job.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
If a McAfee support rep can get onto that machine with no user intervention or consent, you have bigger issues.
Care to elaborate ? What's the "bigger issue" ?

You make it sound like you don't see a problem with an anti-virus app that has an undocumented remote access feature. I'd say this is a big issue, and I wouldn't buy ANY software that installs remote access on my computer w/o my knowledge and consent.

-t

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2010, 07:05 PM

Turtle, you seem to have misinterpreted my post...

The bigger issue to me *is* the un-documeted back door or possibly a hole in the firewall. I can understand it if the user had consented to it, for example removal of viruses and malware, however the current crops of malware have a tendency to prevent a large list of software from running.

I've seen some technical drawing applications install VNC server, which seems rather dubious.

What I don't see a problem with, is remotely controlling a computer where the user has given consent and run through a process to give me one time access to their PC.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
The bigger issue to me *is* the un-documeted back door or possibly a hole in the firewall.
I agree.

The problem is that even firewalls can't protect you, if the software uses port 80 and a central server to "phone home".

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules