Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Website Development Tools - Photo Gallery

Website Development Tools - Photo Gallery
cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2011, 08:31 AM

My website recently got hacked which makes this a good time to look at alternative website development tools. My website (which is posted but is missing a lot of what it had) consists of some blogs, a few static pages, a home movies gallery, and a few photo gallery. I used the following software to develop it:

1. General dev: RapidWeaver 4
2. Movie/Photo galleries: ZenPhoto (photo CMS)
3. Blogs: Blogger (via the RapidBlog RapidWeaver plugin)

This is much cleaner than before but I'd like to migrate to an all-in-one solution. RapidWeaver (and iWeb and SandVox) are all too limiting and DreamWeaver and Flux are mind boggling. I can learn anything but I don't want to waste my time on something unless it's my final solution.

Recently I installed Drupal, WordPress, and Joomla on my site and am not sure which I prefer. Drupal pissed me off cuz I had to install a WYSIWYS editor, then a file uploader, then something else (I forgot) just to edit blogs and (easily) insert images into an entry. WordPress seems too simple and I hate the way it manages imaged/media. Haven't tried Joomla yet.

ZenPhoto (CMS) is my ideal photo gallery CMS but I don't want to have my Joomla site (for example) with two nested ZenPhoto sites (pages) within it to show movies and photos, respectively. BTW, the reason I love ZenPhoto is because I just upload photos to a folder on my server and ZenPhoto incorporates them into my gallery based on my sort criteria (e..g newest first) and it paginates the gallery and allows full size image download along with thumbnail gallery and mid-size images.

Anyways, is there anything out there you all recommend to someone who wants to do blogs, static pages, and media galleries. Something that isn't overly complicated? Thanks.

andi*pandi
Nov 20, 2011, 12:25 PM

I normally recommend WordPress, but have to agree its gallery features are cumbersome. I bet there is a plugin out there that could be similar to ZenPhoto for you...

WordPress › Zenphoto Gallery � WordPress Plugins

(moved because I think you'll get more help in dev with this)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2011, 04:19 PM

WordPress photo gallery plugins as andi*pandi suggested are a good option, as they would allow you to consolidate on WP for both your blogs and photo gallery, as well as general web dev if you are looking for a CMS for static pages.

The more hand coding you can pick up, the better, it will always be a viable final solution at least for tweaking and optimizing your code and stuff.

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2011, 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=andi*pandi;4130397]WordPress › Zenphoto Gallery � WordPress Plugins
[QUOTE]

Never thought to look for ZenPhoto within the WordPress plugins, thanks.

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
The more hand coding you can pick up, the better, it will always be a viable final solution at least for tweaking and optimizing your code and stuff.
I used to hand code my entire site but that was too time consuming so I moved to RapidWeaver and hand-coded just the parts I needed to. RapidWeaver's photo galleries have always sucked so I used numerous alternatives (e.g. JetPhoto, JAlbum, Galerie, Aperture, iPhoto, etc.) and never found anything that was intuitive. It bugged me to have to import photos into Aperture, export entire photo gallery to desktop, create gallery via Galerie, FTP to site in specific folder (I prefered Galerie). With ZenPhoto I have an FTP droplet (from Forklift) and drop the photos on to it, the file goes to correct folder, and ZenPhoto incorporates it.

I'll look into WordPress w/ ZenPhoto integration. Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules