Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > MacBook with small OSX and large Win partition?

MacBook with small OSX and large Win partition?
Photogregor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2012, 02:24 PM

Hi folks,

four weeks ago I bought a Macbook Air (13 inch) for one of my clients because I heard about being able to run Windows on it. Since then I'm trying to install Windows but did not succeed in partition the system as it is appropriate to me. Windows is running fine and What I want now is a Macbook without any Mac OS on it or with at least only a small OSX partition. But the only thing I can achieve is to create partitions of equal size with bootcamp assistant. I read for hours but could not find out how to make OSX partition smaller. There should be any partitioning tool to achieve that (running on Windows or OSX, where ever). I else could not find out how to create an USB stick that boots Linux and let me use GParted to resize these two partitions.

Could someone shed some light on this? What is the right way to achieve my goal?

Thanks a lot for any hint and regards,
Stefano

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2012, 09:26 PM

Does bootcamp recognize pre-existing partitions made with Disk Utility? If not, Boot camp may not allow you to minimize OSX's footprint for obvious reasons.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

issicus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2012, 03:46 AM

im pretty sure you cant resize a partition after you start putting stuff on it. I THINK if you delete(format) one partition you might be able to resize it using appleʻs disk utility.

I never used boot camp so I dont really know how that works. you may need to boot from your osx dvd , reformat the whole thing from the osx installer , and make your two partitions like that. I think that is mostly going to depend on which partition is first on the disk .

P
Feb 11, 2012, 08:53 AM

You can resize HFS+ partitions without reformatting, but it has to be offline (i.e. booted from something else so you can unmount it). The Bootcamp assistant achieves this through some fancy RAM disk booting, but if you're not doing a new installation, try booting from the OS X DVD.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Photogregor View Post
Hi folks,
What I want now is a Macbook without any Mac OS on it or with at least only a small OSX partition.
I DON´T get it. Why to buy some "expensive" Macintosh hardware (wasn´t that one of the main arguments of Microsoft folks), when the only aim is setting up some kind of "Winblows_box_in_a box.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 27, 2012, 10:50 AM

I used Microsoft's diskpart program to delete all the partitions and create a single NTFS partition before installing Windows on an old MacBook Pro. You might want leave the Lion Recovery partition in case you want to install OS X in the future.

Forum Links
Forum Rules