Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Neil Armstrong R.I.P.

Neil Armstrong R.I.P.
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2012, 12:15 PM

At 82
http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=22995&external=1669060.proteus .fma

Wondering if he had hoped to see one more person on the moon within his lifetime.

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
At 82
http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=22995&external=1669060.proteus .fma
Wondering if he had hoped to see one more person on the moon within his lifetime.
I'm sure he did.

His passing makes me sad.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2012, 01:55 PM

A life well lived. RIP.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2012, 02:53 PM

Few will ever leave a better legacy.

RIP.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2012, 04:51 PM

RIP, the man was a real hero.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2012, 08:39 PM

A hero for America and a hero for the entire world. RIP.

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2012, 05:28 PM

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-neil-armstrong-20120913,0,2334137.story

Armstrong will be buried at sea during a service conducted by the Navy. Obama ordered flags be flown at half-mast to mark the day of the ceremony, Fox reported.

In announcing Armstrong's death, his family asked the public to remember the astronaut when they look up and catch a glimpse of the moon. When you "see the moon smiling down at you," they said, "think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2012, 05:45 PM

I wonder which was scarier, flying to the moon, walking around and returning or flying combat missions over Korea.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2012, 06:13 PM

Has this feat only been done by US citizens?

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by kimosABE View Post
I wonder which was scarier, flying to the moon, walking around and returning or flying combat missions over Korea.
I am sure that the death-pain from getting stuck in the moon would be less than the death-pain from being a Korea POW, even if it is unusual, out of this world and the chances of being rescued are strictly less than zero percent.
Have there been any space fatalities?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2012, 06:40 PM

Pretty sure the Sovs killed a few.

I want to say a reentry capsule didn't keep its seal. It didn't blow up, but everybody was DOA.

Edit: yup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_11

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2012, 07:37 PM

Has this feat only been done by US citizens?
The moon thing, yes. Flying combat missions over Korea, no.

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2012, 07:44 PM

I am sure that the death-pain from getting stuck in the moon would be less than the death-pain from being a Korea POW, even if it is unusual, out of this world and the chances of being rescued are strictly less than zero percent.
Have there been any space fatalities?
There are several ways to die in a moon mission. I find it interesting that you seem to glance over the possinle firey death in a fighter jet but go straight to the scary POW thing.

In space?

The Challenger disaster in the 1980's and the Columbia disaster in 2003 IIRC.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2012, 07:54 PM

Both of those were in the atmosphere.

/pedant

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Both of those were in the atmosphere.
/pedant
It was worth being specific as you were. It is an important distinction.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2012, 09:35 PM

In the horrifying space exploration department, some may not know the Challenger crew survived the explosion. They were killed when the crew compartment landed a couple minutes later.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2012, 11:22 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2012, 01:17 AM

Pretty sure the Sovs killed a few.

I want to say a reentry capsule didn't keep its seal. It didn't blow up, but everybody was DOA.

Edit: yup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_11
There was also the Apollo 1b fire, which killed Chaffee, White, and Grissom, IIRC.

I don't believe there were any other directly space flight-related deaths in the US apart from the two Space Shuttles.

Though Alan Shepard very nearly drowned after the first US space flight (John Glenn was only the second, though the first US orbital flight), due to a bunch of silver dollars he had in his suit pockets, intended as souvenir trinkets.

Four cosmonauts died in two different missions that we know of, though I find it difficult to believe that nobody died when the Soviet moon rocket exploded on the launch pad, thwarting the Russian moon mission (which would have pre-empted the US mission by several months). There may be more Soviet deaths from missions that have not been de-classified yet.

No other space flight deaths have been reported to date.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2012, 03:28 AM

In the horrifying space exploration department, some may not know the Challenger crew survived the explosion. They were killed when the crew compartment landed a couple minutes later.
I never knew that. Wouldn't have thought for a second anyone could survive that massive fireball. Liquid O2 makes a big bang.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2012, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
There was also the Apollo 1b fire, which killed Chaffee, White, and Grissom, IIRC.
I don't believe there were any other directly space flight-related deaths in the US apart from the two Space Shuttles.
Though Alan Shepard very nearly drowned after the first US space flight (John Glenn was only the second, though the first US orbital flight), due to a bunch of silver dollars he had in his suit pockets, intended as souvenir trinkets.
Four cosmonauts died in two different missions that we know of, though I find it difficult to believe that nobody died when the Soviet moon rocket exploded on the launch pad, thwarting the Russian moon mission (which would have pre-empted the US mission by several months). There may be more Soviet deaths from missions that have not been de-classified yet.
No other space flight deaths have been reported to date.
Sorry to split hairs but the order of launches was Shepherd, then Grissom and then Glenn in the first US orbital flight. And are you sure it was Glenn who had the trinkets? In the film, "The Right Stuff" I recall Virgil "Gus" Grissom as having blown the capsule hatch too early and that not only helped to send the craft to the bottom of the sea (only recovered in the 21st Century) but also nearly drowned him.

BTW, have you revealed, for public consumption, whether you are a male or female Harlot? Also, have you revealed your orientation?

If the answer is yes to both, would you tell me here what those revelations were?

I sometimes am sure you are a guy. Sometimes I imagine you as being a Gay guy. But, I can also readily imagine your being a lesbian or a tough hetero chick.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2012, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by kimosABE View Post
I sometimes am sure you are a guy. Sometimes I imagine you as being a Gay guy. But, I can also readily imagine your being a lesbian or a tough hetero chick.
Sig worthy
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2012, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I never knew that. Wouldn't have thought for a second anyone could survive that massive fireball. Liquid O2 makes a big bang.
I was shocked myself. I at the least assumed they couldn't be conscious, but there's definitely evidence they were. Wiki mentions there were switches with safety covers that had been flipped and emergency breathing units were been turned on. I've heard from other (unreliable) sources they actually pulled out first-aid kits. It was close to a three minute trip back down.

andi*pandi
Sep 14, 2012, 10:35 AM

that's especially sad then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules