Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama wins!

Obama wins! (Page 5)
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2012, 08:51 AM

Seems to me that in the final days of the election, it became more about whose poll was right than about whose candidate was right, making this article really interesting.

http://gigaom.com/data/why-nate-silver-and-others-predicted-the-election-perfectly/
Guess what, accurately predicting the outcomes of elections really isn’t a partisan affair. What Nate Silver and several others accomplished in perfectly predicting the election isn’t about finding data to support their desired outcomes. It’s about processing reams of imperfect data and figuring out what matters.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Yeah you're right. So was there a voters guide or any other information available for a last-minute researcher (like me)? I can see myself falling for this trap, as I generally vote for anyone who runs unopposed without questioning them much, and the only thing I can think of to prevent me from doing that would be if I noticed the voter guide actually argue against them. Otherwise they'd have to be pretty big news for me to remember their name on election day. Why didn't anyone care enough to run against her if she's so bad?
It wasn't an election vote, it was a retention vote. We get to kick out judges who suck, but no one ever does. I think for most people it's just that wall of names at the end of the ballot;

The local Bar association has a guide here. I can't speak for your neck of the woods.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Well, I started reporting certain people, others started reporting them too. My new practice is to not reply to anyone if they're trolling or overtly disrespectful. I use the forum report feature in the way it's intended and let the mods sort it out.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
... as you can see by the reaction of a person who has been infracted.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2012, 07:58 AM

... as you can see by the reaction of a person who has been infracted.
I didn't receive an infraction. But we all know you did.

P
Nov 11, 2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Seems to me that in the final days of the election, it became more about whose poll was right than about whose candidate was right, making this article really interesting.
His analysis of which pollsters did good was also quite interesting:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/which-polls-fared-best-and-worst-in-the-2012-presidential-race/

Gallup was the worst by about a mile. Rasmussen's skew is partially explained by their practice of not calling cellphones (and thus never interviewing anyone without a landline), but they still had a bigger bias than all the others with the same policy. Would be interesting to see what those pollsters have to say about it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 08:41 AM

I didn't receive an infraction. But we all know you did.
You know, eh? Feeling confident with that statement? Wanna put some legal tender on the line?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2012, 09:14 AM

Betting on who has received an infraction or not? This place is going to turn into the Hunger Games.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2012, 09:24 AM

You know, eh? Feeling confident with that statement? Wanna put some legal tender on the line?
Excuse me, Mr Romney, I'm not sure I have the necessary $10,000 in this particular pair of pants I'm wearing.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Betting on who has received an infraction or not? This place is going to turn into the Hunger Games.

He seems very confident, doesn't he?

Excuse me, Mr Romney, I'm not sure I have the necessary $10,000 in this particular pair of pants I'm wearing.

Who said anything about $10,000? I was thinking more like a $20 donation to the Red Cross. Here, I'll even show you my hole cards:

That's 4 infractions in 10 years or so, that's not bad. As an aside, what's with all that rage and aggression you vent all the time? That's some toxic stuff and you're only going to end up making your life shorter.
- Thomas Paine

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2012, 10:36 AM

So you received no warning or infraction for your non-stop abuse of me on page 1 of "Shall we play a game?" That surprises me.

But then again, I didn't complain about your abuse then, and our mods pretty much only act on complaints, and not on their own initiative.

So congrats, you got away with telling me to "kiss my ass" and "**** off" and calling me a "jackass" and a "wanker" and various other things, simply because I didn't complain about you. Bra-vo.

As an aside, what's with all that rage and aggression you vent all the time? That's some toxic stuff and you're only going to end up making your life shorter.
That's all in your head.

Lemme ask you, what's with all the rage and aggression you vent all the time? I didn't call anyone a jackass and various other things, you did that.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 01:09 PM

Wow. And I got an infraction for calling somebody on "asshattery" over in the news comments.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 01:56 PM

So you received no warning or infraction for your non-stop abuse of me on page 1 of "Shall we play a game?" That surprises me.
But then again, I didn't complain about your abuse then, and our mods pretty much only act on complaints, and not on their own initiative.
So congrats, you got away with telling me to "kiss my ass" and "**** off" and calling me a "jackass" and a "wanker" and various other things, simply because I didn't complain about you. Bra-vo.
And you received no infraction for trolling me non-stop whenever I post anywhere. From what I can tell, likely I didn't get infracted because whatever I called you was accurate.

Lemme ask you, what's with all the rage and aggression you vent all the time? I didn't call anyone a jackass and various other things, you did that.
Awww? You're a victim? Tell you what, go check out my other posts around here in the last 30 days and count my "angry posts" and see who is at the receiving end. It sure wasn't hytekit, he wasn't even around for almost a month. I was you. Why? You're pissy and insulting all the time, with everyone, even Spheric, who shares most of your ideological beliefs. You don't see me lashing out at him. So, put on your big-boy pants and admit that you cause the lion's share of the strife on this forum with your attitude and demeanor. This place is harmony for discussion until you step in, and as soon as you leave a thread it returns to that condition. What a surprise?!

That's all in your head.
Hardly, it comes out of your mouth, figuratively speaking.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Wow. And I got an infraction for calling somebody on "asshattery" over in the news comments.
Different area, non-PL has lower tolerances.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 02:27 PM

Things certainly have changed since the days of Zimphire.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2012, 04:58 PM

Things certainly have changed since the days of Zimphire.
SMACKDOWN!!!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2012, 07:19 PM

He seems very confident, doesn't he?
Who said anything about $10,000? I was thinking more like a $20 donation to the Red Cross. Here, I'll even show you my hole cards:

That's 4 infractions in 10 years or so, that's not bad. As an aside, what's with all that rage and aggression you vent all the time? That's some toxic stuff and you're only going to end up making your life shorter.
You didn't get an infraction for insulting me, but I got an infraction for insulting you?

Damn, time to get the mods attention.

Hey mods, can I just list the number of insults Shaddim directed at other within the last year?

Never mind, it was just a warning I got.

But serious, Shaddim or MacNStein is the master of insults and that's a compliment.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2012, 07:30 PM

Hey Demonhood,

How some Shaddim didn't get warning when he called me 'dense'. Yet my response to his insult by calling him dense gets a warning?

You even quoted his insult when giving me a warning.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Hey Demonhood,
How some Shaddim didn't get warning when he called me 'dense'. Yet my response to his insult by calling him dense gets a warning?
You even quoted his insult when giving me a warning.
Who cares, we don't need no stinkin' mods to conducts ourselves in a civil manner. It doesn't really matter if it is "fair" anyway, it's not like simple infractions are going to go on our criminal records.

To prove my point, I'm going to go ahead and call Shaddim a nincompoop. Yeah, you heard me right, Shaddim, the nincompoop. I went there.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 11, 2012, 07:53 PM

The news area has their own mods, inherited from the independent news comments. They don't follow our modding policies much. I've seen their mods rip into posters for their opinions - and seen posters insulting each other with enthusiasm. It's hard to decide which is worse.

After we get back to vB, maybe we could assign regular mods to those sections. Bring the benefits of civilization to the natives. Machine guns optional.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post

Who cares, we don't need no stinkin' mods to conducts ourselves in a civil manner. It doesn't really matter if it is "fair" anyway, it's not like simple infractions are going to go on our criminal records.

To prove my point, I'm going to go ahead and call Shaddim a nincompoop. Yeah, you heard me right, Shaddim, the nincompoop. I went there.
I'm just going to repost all of Shaddim's insults and see what happens. I'm just going to write a script and randomize Shaddim's insults over the last 3 years. There must be at least 100 easily.

Damn Shaddim, you're dense. My 7 month old daughter has sharper reasoning skills.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 10:48 PM

I'm just going to repost all of Shaddim's insults and see what happens. I'm just going to write a script and randomize Shaddim's insults over the last 3 years. There must be at least 100 easily.
Oh, hello, it's the other angry Canadian. I have a better idea, how about we stop all this nonsense and have civilized discussions?
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 11:41 PM

hytekit's Canadian?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
hytekit's Canadian?
Isn't he?
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2012, 12:56 AM

Isn't he?
Your face is Canadian.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2012, 01:04 AM

Isn't he?
AFAIK, no. I seem to recall he's Asian, and lives in California.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2012, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
AFAIK, no. I seem to recall he's Asian, and lives in California.
Oh, okay.

Your face is Canadian.
Umm, no, but my face was on a Canadian a few minutes ago. *cymbal crash*

Unrelated, but Monster's Inc was right, if we could harness the power of baby crying/screaming we wouldn't have an energy crisis. Sarra walks in, half asleep, deposits a cranky kid on my lap and says "deal with this, I'm going back to sleep". Teething is a bitch.
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2012, 05:09 AM

Oh, okay.
Umm, no, but my face was on a Canadian a few minutes ago. *cymbal crash*
Unrelated, but Monster's Inc was right, if we could harness the power of baby crying/screaming we wouldn't have an energy crisis. Sarra walks in, half asleep, deposits a cranky kid on my lap and says "deal with this, I'm going back to sleep". Teething is a bitch.
Have you ever thought about selling your baby? You could probably buy a nice new car with the profits.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2012, 05:13 AM

Have you ever thought about selling your baby? You could probably buy a nice new car with the profits.
Profits? It might count as a windfall but probably breaking even is the best you could hope for.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2012, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post

Profits? It might count as a windfall but probably breaking even is the best you could hope for.
I will buy your baby. You will be able to buy a delicious sandwich with the money I will give you. What say you?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2012, 06:25 AM

I have way too much invested in her, I could never recoup the cost. How much did you get for yours?
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2012, 06:30 AM

I have way too much invested in her, I could never recoup the cost. How much did you get for yours?
I've never gotten that far. See, I *really* like abortions, so I always get so excited whenever we get pregnant that we go for an abortion before the baby has even been pooped out.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2012, 08:07 AM

And you received no infraction for trolling me non-stop whenever I post anywhere.
I never troll anyone, ever. Someone says something I disagree with, I say I disagree with it. If it seems to you I'm following you around, that's because you continually post stuff I disagree with. It's not personal.

I come here to debate, not sing Kumbaya. That's why I mostly interact with people I disagree with. ebuddy once compared MacNN with a dart league. For me, this is a debate club. I'm not trolling anyone, but I am looking for an argument. And until the MacNN rules are changed to say I can't do that, I will continue to do it.

And in case you haven't noticed, you and ebuddy are the only people worth arguing with around here. All the other articulate non-liberals have left.

From what I can tell, likely I didn't get infracted because whatever I called you was accurate.
Would you like me to go back and flag those abusive posts? Then we'll find out. You know, for science. But really, I'm not inclined to do it, I'm not interested in making the mods work harder just to prove a point.

Awww? You're a victim?
So now you've stooped to shoving words in my mouth? I never claimed to be a victim.

Tell you what, go check out my other posts around here in the last 30 days and count my "angry posts" and see who is at the receiving end. It sure wasn't hytekit, he wasn't even around for almost a month. I was you. Why? You're pissy and insulting all the time, with everyone, even Spheric, who shares most of your ideological beliefs. You don't see me lashing out at him.
I don't recall insulting Spheric. And the only "angry posts" from you that I can recall are the abuse from page 1 of Shall We Play A Game? Nothing changed in our interaction, but your behaviour did that day. Maybe you think you've heaped a lot of abuse in my direction, but I haven't noticed. I don't take things personally. I like aggressive debate.

So, put on your big-boy pants and admit that you cause the lion's share of the strife on this forum with your attitude and demeanor. This place is harmony for discussion until you step in, and as soon as you leave a thread it returns to that condition. What a surprise?!
I'm gonna lay it out for you and everyone else.

I'm here to debate.

If you don't like me or "my tone," put me on ignore.

If you think a post of mine is abusive or otherwise violates the rules, flag the post.

I come to the P/L to argue. That isn't gonna change. Take your hippie festival requests to the Lounge, I'm here for a fight.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2012, 08:09 AM

I'm here for a fight.
Yeah, you're here to browbeat and condescend. It's what makes you such a terrible particpant.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2012, 08:10 AM

Don't do that.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2012, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah, you're here to browbeat and condescend. It's what makes you such a terrible particpant.
Use the ignore button.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2012, 08:14 AM

Use the ignore button.
Doesn't change you ruining the mood around here.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2012, 08:49 AM

I come to the P/L to argue.
No you dont.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2012, 08:50 AM

I guess, but I don't see what he does as a whole lot different than many others who express their emotions and frustrations in here.

The way I see it, emotion expression is pretty much all alike, there is just varying intensities of it.

screener
Senior User
Nov 12, 2012, 08:51 AM

This thread is hilarious.
Grow up y'all.

This cretin sums up why Obama won.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/ted-nugent-on-obama-election-twitter-rant-economic-spiritual-suicide_n_2094490.htmlhttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/ted-nugent-on-obama-election-twitter-rant-economic-spiritual-suicide_n_2094490.html
Detroit rocker and right-winger Ted Nugent was not too happy when President Barack Obama was reelected, so he took to Twitter to denounce the "pimps," "whores" and "welfare brats" who voted for America's "economic [and] spiritual suicide."

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2012, 08:54 AM

No you dont.
Really? Tell me, why am I here? I gotta hear this.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2012, 08:56 AM

Doesn't change you ruining the mood around here.
I don't come here for "the mood," so I don't care.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2012, 09:07 AM

I don't come here for "the mood," so I don't care.
Oh but you do. You like to make things as contentious as possible.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2012, 09:09 AM

Really? Tell me, why am I here? I gotta hear this.
I'm just trying to please you by providing you with more argument, but I'll tell you why you're here, it's because you find me witty and entertaining.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2012, 09:37 AM

Oh but you do. You like to make things as contentious as possible.
I respond to contentious posts. Things are already contentious when I get involved.

For instance, ebuddy recently posted "Everyone's a bigot. The term is essentially meaningless." Link

I think that's a contentious statement, and I wanted to argue against it, and I did. (ebuddy never responded, so the whole issue went away.)

And I'm serious when I say I want a debate. Shaddim once called me a fascist, and I shrugged my shoulders because he said soon afterwards he wasn't gonna engage with me anymore. I'm actually interested in the responses from people I'm arguing with.

If there were no contentious posts to reply to here, I wouldn't be here.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2012, 09:38 AM

I'm just trying to please you by providing you with more argument, but I'll tell you why you're here, it's because you find me witty and entertaining.
Yet another contentious statement, but this one I will let pass.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2012, 10:46 AM

And I'm serious when I say I want a debate.
No one's accusing you of shying away from a fight. Quite the opposite, actually.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2012, 10:49 AM

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...n-it-meltdown/
To build Orca, the Romney campaign turned to Microsoft and an unnamed application consulting firm. The goal was to put a mobile application in the hands of 37,000 volunteers in swing states, who would station themselves at the polls and track the arrival of known Romney supporters. The information would be monitored by more than 800 volunteers back at Romney's Boston Garden campaign headquarters via a Web-based management console, and it would be used to push out more calls throughout the day to pro-Romney voters who hadn't yet shown up at the polls. A backup voice response system would allow local poll volunteers to call in information from the field if they couldn't access the Web.
When the Romney campaign finally brought up Orca, the "killer whale" was not ready to perform. Some field volunteers couldn't even report to their posts, because the campaign hadn't told them they first needed to pick up poll watcher credentials from one of Romney's local "victory centers." Others couldn't connect to the Orca site because they entered the URL for the site without the https:// prefix; instead of being redirected to the secure site, they were confronted with a blank page, Ekdahl said.

And for many of those who managed to get to their polling places and who called up the website on their phones, there was another, insurmountable hurdle—their passwords didn't work and attempts to reset passwords through the site also failed. As for the voice-powered backup system, it failed too as many poll watchers received the wrong personal identification numbers needed to access the system. Joel Pollak of Briebart reported that hundreds of volunteers in Colorado and North Carolina couldn't use either the Web-based or the voice-based Orca systems; it wasn't until 6:00 PM on Election Day that the team running Orca admitted they had issued the wrong PIN codes and passwords to everyone in those states, and they reset them. Even then, some volunteers still couldn’t login.

In Boston, things weren't much better. Some of the VoIP phones set up for volunteers were misconfigured. And as volunteers tried to help people in the field get into the system, they ran into similar problems themselves. "I tried to login to the field website," Dittuobo told me, "but none of the user names and passwords worked, though the person next to me could get in. We had zero access to Iowa, Colorado, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania. Seems like the only state that was working was Florida."

As the Web traffic from volunteers attempting to connect to Orca mounted, the system crashed repeatedly because of bandwidth constraints. At one point the network connection to the campaign's data center went down—apparently because the ISP shut it off. "They told us Comcast thought it was a denial of service attack and shut it down," Dittuobu recounted. "(Centinello) was giddy about it," he added—presumably because he thought that so much traffic was sign of heavy system use.
It's hard to read this and not see it reflect poorly on Romney. Particularly when part of his campaign was about his ability to get shit done.

Another part of me says the old white guy hit the typical achilles heel, technology and the internet.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2012, 11:25 AM

I read that Ars article yesterday, and was amazed at the ineptitude.

I'm not sure I can totally blame the Romney campaign. Sure, they probably don't "get" technology, but at the same time, it looks like they were sold a bill of goods by shady people.

When old people are fooled by scam artists, we generally don't mock the old people.

I wonder if Karl Rove was buying his tech from the same company.

But just to get the digs in, no one is mocking Obama for his "community organizer" past anymore. That's the sh!t that actually wins elections.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2012, 11:29 AM

But just to get the digs in, no one is mocking Obama for his "community organizer" past anymore. That's the sh!t that actually wins elections.
Agreed, but does it help him get anything else done?

Forum Links
Forum Rules