Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari or Java?

Safari or Java?
cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2013, 04:36 PM

After yesterday's update to Safari 6.04 and Java 7 r21 I've had trouble with UFC news, opinion, photos, and more | Bleacher Report When I click on an article it doesn't navigate to the article, Firefox works fine, Chromium is broken (but it's gimped by 32-bit Java).

How do I troubleshoot this to see if it's Safari or Java or something else and does anyone else see the same problem as me?
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2013, 06:00 PM

The answer is neither. I tested Javascript and Flash and both were good so I looked at the source code and it was nothing special so I spoofed a different user agent (Firefox 15+) and that site came back up. The funny thing is it worked fine until I installed Safari 6.04 and Java 7 r21 so I associated the issue with one of those.

If there a way to permanently spoof another browser in Safari? Seems it resets to "Auto" every time I close Safari.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

lkrupp
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2013, 02:11 PM

The websites in question may not be coded to accept Safari 6.0.4 yet. Best bet is to contact the sites and make them aware.

By the way, Java and Javascript are two different animals and have nothing to do with each other.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Chromium is broken (but it's gimped by 32-bit Java).
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
The websites in question may not be coded to accept Safari 6.0.4 yet. Best bet is to contact the sites and make them aware.

By the way, Java and Javascript are two different animals and have nothing to do with each other.
lkrupp's info is true. And what you called Chromium is Google Chrome.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
And what you called Chromium is Google Chrome.
Chromium is the open source version of Chrome.

machilfe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2013, 06:57 AM

The answer is neither. I tested Javascript and Flash and both were good so I looked at the source code and it was nothing special so I spoofed a different user agent (Firefox 15+) and that site came back up. The funny thing is it worked fine until I installed Safari 6.04 and Java 7 r21 so I associated the issue with one of those.

If there a way to permanently spoof another browser in Safari? Seems it resets to "Auto" every time I close Safari.
Hello
As I did try this web page you did mention with Safari 6.0.4 AND ML 10.8.3 as well as the latest beta and Java 1.6.0_45, I would search the problem within Java 7. With the following informations, you are able to uninstall Java 7, install the latest Java 6 from Apple and then test your page again. Hope this will help you.
Java Support Web Page How do I uninstall Java 7 for my Mac?
Apple Support Knowledge Base Java for OS X 2013-002: How to re-enable the Apple-provided Java SE 6 web plug-in and Web Start functionality.

Regards from Switzerland
Thomas

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2013, 01:34 PM

This problem has absolutely nothing to do with Java, Java should be taken out of the equation entirely.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2013, 01:35 PM

cgc: does clicking on an article trigger a Javascript error? You can access the Javascript console where errors will be printed to from within the Webkit Web Inspector in both Safari and Chrome.

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2013, 08:29 PM

No errors at all...I also understand the differences between Java and Javascript but the installation of Safari and Java FUBARed some web sites. Chromium is not Chrome also...

I wound up with some interesting results: I spoofed Chromium or Safari as Firefox 15+ and all was fine so I used Chromium and when planning my run this morning I found GMap Pedometer wouldn't allow me to roll my mouse wheel forward or back to zoom in or out. Mapquest's maps behaved the same. After changing the spoofed useragent to IE9 fixed that (WTF?)... I went back to the MMA site mentioned in the OP and it worked fine with the new useragent and today it works with Chromium as the useragent.

I find it interesting people have to code their web page functionality to change depending on the browser visiting it. Zoom in and zoom out via the mouse wheel is basic, maybe a coincidence...I uninstalled the Chromium spoofing extension but I may play a bit when I get a chance.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2013, 08:59 PM

No errors at all...I also understand the differences between Java and Javascript but the installation of Safari and Java FUBARed some web sites. Chromium is not Chrome also...

I wound up with some interesting results: I spoofed Chromium or Safari as Firefox 15+ and all was fine so I used Chromium and when planning my run this morning I found GMap Pedometer wouldn't allow me to roll my mouse wheel forward or back to zoom in or out. Mapquest's maps behaved the same. After changing the spoofed useragent to IE9 fixed that (WTF?)... I went back to the MMA site mentioned in the OP and it worked fine with the new useragent and today it works with Chromium as the useragent.

I find it interesting people have to code their web page functionality to change depending on the browser visiting it. Zoom in and zoom out via the mouse wheel is basic, maybe a coincidence...I uninstalled the Chromium spoofing extension but I may play a bit when I get a chance.

Java will not mess up sites that do not use Java, and I'm not seeing any Java on the Bleacherreport site.

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Java will not mess up sites that do not use Java, and I'm not seeing any Java on the Bleacherreport site.
Thanks for helping. Everything seems to be working fine though I find it hard to believe BleacherReport (e.g. a basic news site) would look for specific versions of browser but Safari 6.04 worked a couple days after it's release. I appreciate everyone's help.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2013, 12:51 PM

Thanks for helping. Everything seems to be working fine though I find it hard to believe BleacherReport (e.g. a basic news site) would look for specific versions of browser but Safari 6.04 worked a couple days after it's release. I appreciate everyone's help.
With these problematic browsers did you try emptying your cache?

Forum Links
Forum Rules