Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Able to retrieve photos from dvd?

Able to retrieve photos from dvd?
dzp111
Senior User
Jul 31, 2009, 02:19 PM

My cousin sent me pictures of her wedding, she said that there were about 80 pics. When I received the 'cd' I realized that instead of copying and sending me the photos, she created a slideshow in TS format (plays only on DVD).

I'd like some of those pics in my iPhoto album.

Is there an app out there that could help me retrieve the photos from the slideshow?

Is it even possible?
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2009, 06:02 PM

I'd assume they are NTSC quality if they're on a DVD that plays in a DVD player. Why not contact your cousin and have her send you the photos? Video on a DVD would be VGA-like quality which isn't very good...

If you still need to extract the "photos," you can't take screenshots via Apple's utility but I think other screenshot utilities will allow that. I'd probably rip the DVD to my computer (via Handbrake @ High Profile-->Film) at it's highest settings) then show the video in QuickTime. Play it fullscreen and pause it on each picture and hit command-shift-3 to take screenshots.

I'm sure someone has a better way, but regardless of which method you use to extract the pictures from the slideshow, they'll be low resolution.
( Last edited by cgc; Jul 31, 2009 at 06:10 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules