Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PSP2 vs. 3DS vs. Mobile Devices

View Poll Results: Do you plan on buying any of these?
Poll Options:
Nintendo 3DS 1 votes (8.33%)
Sony PSP2 2 votes (16.67%)
Both. I'm a gaming addict. 0 votes (0%)
Neither. I'm not interested in mobile gaming. 1 votes (8.33%)
Neither. I'm satisfied with my iPhone/Android phone. 6 votes (50.00%)
Too early to tell. 2 votes (16.67%)
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll
PSP2 vs. 3DS vs. Mobile Devices
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 02:59 AM

Leaning towards all things Sony, I'm intrigued by the just-revealed PSP2 (NGP?).

The main challenge for the 3DS and PSP2 will probably be the fact that many iPhone and Android users are finding plenty of games to suit their mobile needs.

Does anyone care about handheld consoles anymore?
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jan 27, 2011 at 03:12 AM. )

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 03:06 AM

Oh, and since the rest of you are asleep: the PSP2 has been unveiled.

Display: 5 inch OLED with 960 x 544 resolution
Wireless: WiFi, 3G, GPS
Inputs: Touchscreen, touch sensitive back panel, D-pad, L/R shoulder buttons, standard Playstation buttons
"PS3-Quality Graphics"

New Games:
Little Deviants
Reality Fighters
Gravity Daze

Established first-party franchises shown
Uncharted
Killzone
WipeOut
Resistance
LittleBigPlanet
Hustle Kings
Hot Shots Golf

Also, something called Playstation Suite, which I haven't completely wrapped my mind around...

At it's big PlayStation event held today in Tokyo, Sony has revealed a program whereby "certified" PlayStation games will be made available for mobile phones.

Rather than be tied to a single device, like we've been seeing all along, Sony is calling this idea "PlayStation Suite", a mobile gaming platform of sorts designed for Android mobile phones.

With games bearing a "PlayStation Certified" tag, it aims to bring titles like original PS1 games (or their equivalent, we suppose?) to mobiles in a "hardware neutral game framework".

Among the first PS1 games to launch on the service will be Wild Arms, Cool Boarders 2, Rally cross, Medievil and Syphon Filter.

We'll get you more details - including what role the "PlayStation Phone" plays in all this - as they come to hand.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jan 27, 2011 at 03:57 AM. )

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 03:57 AM

A Closer Look at Sony's NGP

Two true analog sticks replace the oft-maligned analog nub of the PSP. Good for gaming, bad for portability?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2011, 04:36 AM

sold

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2011, 05:09 AM

From what I've heard about the 3DS, to get the 3D effect you have to hold the thing exactly right and keep it in that position, or else you lose the 3D and it does things to your eyes. And the touch screen is still stylus based.

I'm not sold on the PSP2 either, it looks like a bigger/faster/more PSP that they've hacked a touch screen onto, and a trackpad on the back, as well as the PSP buttons with an extra thumbstick. It sounds weird and complicated. Having a go of one might be brilliand and allow you to do instand headshots from 3 miles away and stuff, but I think I'd get my fingers in a knot first.

I've got an original PSP, and a DS Lite, but these days I'm using my iPhone more. The games are cheaper and its always with me. They'll probably both be upwards of £200, I don't think I'll be getting either of them.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2011, 07:45 AM

I'm sure there's a good amount of room to critique with these new systems, but nonetheless I can only imagine being a kid today versus when I grew up with the original Gameboy. The progress in mobile gaming technology is amazing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 11:49 AM

If I buy either, it will certainly be the PSP2, but the pricing is definitely going to play a factor in my decision. I've got an iPhone and iPad which are both always with me, so the PSP2 had better be freakin' incredible to put the nail in the coffin.

I am glad they went back to the more traditional form factor. The much higher resolution, OLED screen is a big deal as well. The only part of the hardware that I'm not 100% on board with is the back-side touchscreen, but that's because I'm not exactly sure how it will work. And I don't see any way they can keep this tech under $400. Good god, Sony, don't make that mistake again...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2011, 12:31 PM

I could see the back touchpad coming into play on future console controllers. That's just an extra button or two that your middle finger can activate.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 12:35 PM

Xbox 360, PC, and Android games more then wet my gaming appetite.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Speaking of which, how are the gaming options on Android?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 12:42 PM

With the PS3 as my primary gaming system, the ability to take a Madden or FIFA franchise on the road and continue it from console > handheld (a functionality hinted at by Kojima) is extremely enticing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 12:43 PM

I doubt they match the modern-day DS and PSP games, but the ones I"ve tried have done what they are supposed to, keep me entertained while I'm somewhere away from said PC and 360.

I am very addicted to Angry Birds at the moment.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2011, 12:43 PM

If that is indeed possible, the term killer feature comes to mind.

Much more so than that wannabe shit I've heard people touting Windows 7 to be capable of.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 12:47 PM

I am very addicted to Angry Birds at the moment.
I think everyone is. My dad is irritated that they haven't released any new levels lately: "I've been done with the current ones for like a month!"

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
If that is indeed possible, the term killer feature comes to mind.
I think it was rumored during the PSP's early days, but no one ever capitalized. I think it's probably up to the devs to figure out if it's worth the effort. If the PSP2/NGP install base is large enough, it definitely could be.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2011, 01:04 PM

how are the games sold? download or what?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2011, 01:23 PM

Download and Flash Memory cards.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2011, 01:42 PM

Thank you very much exca1ibur

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2011, 02:52 PM

So, this thing will have similar battery life to 3DS and will be "affordable". What's affordable? The 3DS is already the most expensive handheld launch I can remember, and the PSP2s feature scream more expensive to me.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2011, 03:04 PM

Android? WTF?! Did freudling sell you his Galaxy Tab or something?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 03:18 PM

There are many reasons.

1. At@t was my previous carrier and I could not wait to drop them, their texting plans were a ****ing joke.
2. Verizon did not offer any good deals on the iPhone 4, nor did I want to pay for something that would be updated soon (iPhone 4G)
3. T-mobile not only had the most variety in plans, but sent me a Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) for completely free.

I love this phone, the screen is drop dead beautiful and as I mentioned above...completely free.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2011, 03:37 PM

Gaming on Android from a consumer standpoint isn't the worst thing ever, Android is just very difficult from a developer standpoint, what with all the devices running multiple versions of Android on multiple screen sizes.

Back to the OP, I think it may be a bit too early to tell. My guess is that the PSP will remain a more-hardcore mobile gaming platform and won't enjoy immense success. I'm sure it'll make Sony plenty of money, but it still won't be as mainstream as a Wii, for example.

The 3DS will be slow to take off IMHO, but once the price hits $199 I think it'll be an instant buy for many folks.

The good news is that there is a lot of great choice right now for mobile gaming. It used to be that the really only good choice was a GameBoy, I think it's great that even if you pick up a $29 LG Optimus T with Android that you can still get a phone that is powerful enough to play Angry Birds without a hiccup, and that even if you're at the opposite, hardcore-end of the spectrum that the PSP is the most powerful mobile gaming platform to ever grace this planet.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2011, 03:52 AM

So, this thing will have similar battery life to 3DS and will be "affordable". What's affordable? The 3DS is already the most expensive handheld launch I can remember, and the PSP2s feature scream more expensive to me.
My thoughts as well. Sony seems to want to be the front runner on technology when releasing consoles/handhelds. They bit it hard in the beginning with the PS3 and PSP launch prices and I'm pretty sure the PSP2 will run at least $300. Nintendo has owned the handheld market forever and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

3. T-mobile not only had the most variety in plans, but sent me a Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) for completely free.
I've been with T-Mobile for years and they by far have the most decent prices. I also have the Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) and love it. Screen is noticeably larger than the iPhone. Nice touch was that it came with a copy of the movie Avatar, which looks amazing on it. Only 2 things that suck are its battery life and no flash for the camera.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2011, 09:27 AM

Nintendo 3DS:
I like the idea of glasses-free 3D. I will have to try it out before i make my decision. It seems a little finicky, like if you move away from the optimum position the image goes all wonky. but if it's acceptable, i might. (But chances are i'll wait for the re design).

Sony PSP2(NGP):
Idiots!! if they wanted to compete with Nintendo and Apple, they SHOULD have made a single PSP-Phone. The NGP seems like nothing more than an incremental upgrade to the PSP. Not good strategy AT ALL. Also, the thing is friggon huge !!! Specs and horsepower seem great, but.... no. Also, PS games on Android ? That's giving away the kitchen sink, to a platform that's possibly more prone to piracy than the PSP itself.

Apple has set the standard for content delivery. they(And Nintendo) Should have taken that blue print and enhanced it for gaming.

Right now, of all the type of pocketable devices available, a phone is my #1 priority. And since the iPhone has a coherent, consistent experience for a communications device and now a game device as well (especially after gamecenter), i see no immediate need to pick up either of these 2 devices. (Incidentally, my NDS hasnt seen any action for almost 2 years now, but i appreciate it's contribution to the industry).

However, of the 2 gaming systems, i am more interested in the N3DS.

Cheers

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
My thoughts as well. Sony seems to want to be the front runner on technology when releasing consoles/handhelds. They bit it hard in the beginning with the PS3 and PSP launch prices and I'm pretty sure the PSP2 will run at least $300. Nintendo has owned the handheld market forever and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
They seem to be under the impression that what everyone wants is a portable next-gen system. I don't think that's the case. Just like PC gamers ≠ Console gamers ≠ Motion control gamers, I think you can safely add ≠ Handheld gamers.

Edit: Nice diverse poll results so far.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I've been with T-Mobile for years and they by far have the most decent prices. I also have the Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) and love it. Screen is noticeably larger than the iPhone. Nice touch was that it came with a copy of the movie Avatar, which looks amazing on it. Only 2 things that suck are its battery life and no flash for the camera.
Battery life doesn't bother me, I didn't expect anything great from a new smartphone with an extremely crisp and bright screen. Flash is the only thing I can think of that it is missing. Otherwise it's lightning fast and as thin as a pencil.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Sony PSP2(NGP):
Idiots!! if they wanted to compete with Nintendo and Apple, they SHOULD have made a single PSP-Phone. The NGP seems like nothing more than an incremental upgrade to the PSP.
Totally disagree. When I am gaming on a device specifically for gaming, I do NOT want that interrupted by a phone call. (pausing the action or not). Nor do I want to share battery life of both being a primary. They made the smart call IMO to support both.

Also the PSP Phone is the original PSP in a phone. Two different products. The reason for the PSP Phone was to move the existing PSP platform to the phone, and the Playstation Suite is to bring developers to that platform to not only port PS1/PSP titles and create new content that will support not only the PSP but the Android and NGP. The Playstation Suite you now have Android developers and PSP developers writing their own content. You do not see that is a good thing? That basically puts homebrew content now on the platform. No need for hacking the hell out of the thing anymore, EXCEPT for piracy. No hiding behind the homebrew excuse now.

With all the speculation of it being too high in price do you REALLY think it would be affordable if the NGP had a phone in it?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2011, 12:57 PM

They seem to be under the impression that what everyone wants is a portable next-gen system. I don't think that's the case. Just like PC gamers ≠ Console gamers ≠ Motion control gamers, I think you can safely add ≠ Handheld gamers.

Edit: Nice diverse poll results so far.
I agree. I like the idea of the more diverse mobile/portable space, a lot. To be honest. For me I want the console experience on the go, some want to have pick up and play. I'm just glad there is an option of both out there. The casual stuff was starting to turn me off. I felt like I was flashing to the 80's again.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2011, 03:42 PM

I included my iPod Touch/iPad gaimg in with the iPhone, since you didn't have the IPod Touch and iPad listed.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2011, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Totally disagree. When I am gaming on a device specifically for gaming, I do NOT want that interrupted by a phone call. (pausing the action or not). Nor do I want to share battery life of both being a primary. They made the smart call IMO to support both.

Also the PSP Phone is the original PSP in a phone. Two different products. The reason for the PSP Phone was to move the existing PSP platform to the phone, and the Playstation Suite is to bring developers to that platform to not only port PS1/PSP titles and create new content that will support not only the PSP but the Android and NGP. The Playstation Suite you now have Android developers and PSP developers writing their own content. You do not see that is a good thing? That basically puts homebrew content now on the platform. No need for hacking the hell out of the thing anymore, EXCEPT for piracy. No hiding behind the homebrew excuse now.

With all the speculation of it being too high in price do you REALLY think it would be affordable if the NGP had a phone in it?
I appreciate that, and i'm sure there are people who are looking for the exact same thing you are, which is being delivered in the NGP.

They could have made the device less powerful, and integrated a phone into the thing. Literally, imagine a souped up PSP, with all the traditional controls, and a touch screen phone, with an AppStore like service for getting games, which included 16/32GB storage. That would interest me. It would have a great library of games, physical/real controls, a phone and a service for apps/movies/games.

Personally, i'm not keen on having too many devices, especially in my pockets. That NGP, for all it's power, is HUGE and would require me to carry a phone as well. Not gonna happen. (Possibly because i have a PS3 at home anyway)

Cheers

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2011, 01:12 AM

The price of these things is getting out of hand. Something about the PSP never clicked with me. I think what most people are looking for in a portable game is different from what you want in a regular console... and the PSP tried too much to be like a console in your hands.

I eventually tired of my DS... the games just stopped appealing to me.

I dunno, I'm going to hold off on both of these... just too much money for the amount of use I would get out of them.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
They could have made the device less powerful, and integrated a phone into the thing. Literally, imagine a souped up PSP, with all the traditional controls, and a touch screen phone, with an AppStore like service for getting games, which included 16/32GB storage. That would interest me. It would have a great library of games, physical/real controls, a phone and a service for apps/movies/games.
That's exactly what the PSP Phone is.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2011, 05:55 AM

That's exactly what the PSP Phone is.
Yeah, this is it... The 'Xperia Play' PSP Phone

Exclusive: Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (PlayStation Phone) preview -- Engadget

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Now that looks like it has potential. Sony just seems to be doing anything and everything. They got a lot of good engineers and scientists, but some very disorganized managers. They seem to be throwing anything and everything at the wall and trying to see what sticks. Such a waste.

This PSP Phone thing, should have had a huge marketing and advertising and development budget. It should have been the device anyone who wanted a PSP would want to get. It should have been the device that made the sony-erricson partnership meaningful. it SHOULD have been the flagship SONY portable platform (phone, media and games). Instead of spreading themselves so thin, they should have compromized on specs and performance and focused on a single device like this. Instead of PSP-Phone and NGP...it should have been "The Sony Portable" (PSP2 (better specs but not as far as NGP), phone, and walkman). IMHO

Cheers

PS>> Talk about trying to confuse the customer. they have PSP, PSP Go, Xperia(PSP Phone) and NGP
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jan 29, 2011 at 10:29 AM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2011, 07:18 PM

No more confusing than Nintendo (DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, and now 3DS), but overall I think the PSP Go needs to... GO away. For anyone looking for a just a simple portable gaming system is not going to look for a phone so I don't think there will be an overlap with that. I think PSP, PSP Phone, NGP is really all that is needed.

The PSP Phone is really more or less an open platform now, as any Android phone maker if free to make one now. You will probably have even more options than just Sony for this by the end of the year.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2011, 01:43 AM

No more confusing than Nintendo (DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, and now 3DS), but overall I think the PSP Go needs to... GO away. For anyone looking for a just a simple portable gaming system is not going to look for a phone so I don't think there will be an overlap with that. I think PSP, PSP Phone, NGP is really all that is needed.

The PSP Phone is really more or less an open platform now, as any Android phone maker if free to make one now. You will probably have even more options than just Sony for this by the end of the year.
Agreed, but at least all the DS' available today (i think) all use the same game carts. there isnt an only on-line version, and Nintendo doesn't make a "phone version" as well.

I guess if Sony discontinues the old PSPs and PSP Go, they will have the PSP-Phone and NGP, which would be alright.

PS>>I just noticed the specs from that picture above. ARM Cortex A9. I think the iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads that will be available end of 2011, will have something similarly capable. Only difference will be the physical controls.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2011, 11:21 AM

On the 3DS. I am very very curious about the the glasses-free 3D thing. I've heard that you cannot change your line of sight to the screen without disrupting the 3D illusion.

So here we have:
1. A dual screen system which requires you to keep shifting focus from one screen to the other.
2. Motion sensors that would require you to move the system.
3. A portable system which is very easily moved and shaken while in use.

There might be a slight problem with that design. However, i am optimistic.

Cheers

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 11:55 AM

Playing 3DS games is going to limit the 3DS to 3-5 hours of battery life: Clicky

3DS charging time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Battery life playing 3DS games: 3-5 hours
Battery life playing DS games: 5-8 hours

Nintendo also state that those times are only approximate and may be shorter “depending on operating conditions”. The 8 hours upper limit stated for DS games requires the brightness of the displays be turned right down.
Interpretation: unless you turn the brightness of the screen way down and turn off wireless connectivity, you're only going to be getting 3 hours of battery life out of your 3DS.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 12:14 PM

Also, as for the notion that people don't want to play console-style games on their mobile systems, I believe that's a load of crap. The reasons we don't expect those kinds of games on our handhelds is because they weren't possible beforehand.

With PlayStation Suite, who's to say that they won't offer cheaper, downloadable titles that balance out the console-style, "near-PS3 quality" games? Actually, PlayStation Minis will almost certainly be offered for the device. Want a quick, mobile-style game? No problem. Want to play Uncharted on the same device? No problem.

For people who rarely leave town, I can see a console-quality handheld not being quite as valuable. I've been spending inordinate amounts of time out of town in the past two months, and I'm constantly stuck in a hotel room wishing I had something to play besides Fruit Ninja on my iPhone. If I can dump my NBA 2K11 My Player season onto a PSP2/NGP and continue it on the road (or, let's be honest, on the crapper), I'd find that extremely appealing.

I'm still more of an "interested, possibly buying" customer at this point, but it's the price that's going to determine whether or not I get one at launch.

Side note: the PSP was similar to the PS3 in that it started off slow, developed a bad rep as a console with fewer quality games, and then started spitting out some amazing titles unbeknownst to the DS-addicted public (360 for PS3). Patapon 2, MGS: Peace Walker, GoW: Ghost of Sparta, Logan's Shadow, GTA: Chinatown Wars, Resistance: Retribution, and Valkyria Chronicles II were just a few of the PSP games that garnered great reviews within the last two years.

The problem is early perception, and Sony has to fight that hard with the PSP2/NGP. That means price, software, and investment into lasting quality. They've already demonstrated there will be top-tier titles available, and they've clearly invested time and resources into ensuring it gained everyone's attention early on. They seem intent on making the PSP2/NGP a hit.

The crucial piece of the puzzle is the price.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Also, as for the notion that people don't want to play console-style games on their mobile systems, I believe that's a load of crap.
I didn't say people don't want to, I said the demographics don't support it.

Somehow, I don't see the "console-style on handheld" crowd waiting in the wings to be a floodgate waiting to be opened like the motion-control one.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 12:27 PM

I didn't say people don't want to, I said the demographics don't support it.

Somehow, I don't see the "console-style on handheld" crowd waiting in the wings to be a floodgate waiting to be opened like the motion-control one.
Yeah, and tablets seemed like a failure two years ago. Demographics didn't support them.

The PSP2 could very well fall flat on its face, but I'm just reminding people that we've been surprised by this kind of thing before. I thought the DS was doomed when I first saw the weird two screens with the PDA stylus years ago. Who would want that crap? 135+ million buyers.

Looking at the DS sales numbers just reminded me how big of an uphill battle it's going to be to loosen Nintendo's grip on the market.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2011, 12:32 PM

Yeah, and tablets seemed like a failure two years ago. Demographics didn't support them.
Tablets or iPads? Because the mac faithful were clamoring for that thing years before it was out.

The PSP2 could very well fall flat on its face, but I'm just reminding people that we've been surprised by this kind of thing before. I thought the DS was doomed when I first saw the weird two screens with the PDA stylus years ago. Who would want that crap? 135+ million buyers.
Here's the thing – a PSP2 success doesn't necessarily indicate anything one way or another. It'll be the software sales that tell you who's playing it.

Looking at the DS sales numbers just reminded me how big of an uphill battle it's going to be to loosen Nintendo's grip on the market.
And Sony is repeating the mistakes of the past, on a grander scale. It's ridiculous.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 01:25 PM

Tablets or iPads? Because the mac faithful were clamoring for that thing years before it was out.
No one knew for sure that Apple was interested in making one until the first of the rumors began leaking. Tablets in all their forms had been failures, then Apple brought out a version that clicked with consumers, and now everyone and their mother is making an Android tablet. It just wasn't done properly until the iPad came out.

Perhaps the second analog stick could be what brings out the experience. Maybe the aforementioned PS3/PSP2 connectivity. Maybe any apps that could make it a multi-function device. There's just a ton of potential there. What Sony does with it is going to be the deciding factor.

Here's the thing – a PSP2 success doesn't necessarily indicate anything one way or another. It'll be the software sales that tell you who's playing it.
Yeah, true with any system. Their lineup is looking amazing though. And don't think CoD players didn't get a little excited about Activision's announcement.

And Sony is repeating the mistakes of the past, on a grander scale. It's ridiculous.
Which mistakes in particular?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2011, 01:29 PM

No one knew for sure that Apple was interested in making one until the first of the rumors began leaking.
But we were hoping. We wanted it.

Yeah, true with any system. Their lineup is looking amazing though. And don't think CoD players didn't get a little excited about Activision's announcement.
This is what I'm curious about. How many people will want the CoD experience on the go. Will multi be viable this way?

Which mistakes in particular?
More expensive than competition, playing up its raw power more than the titles.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 01:36 PM

But we were hoping. We wanted it.
Did we want it because we wanted a tablet, or because it was Apple that was making it?

This is what I'm curious about. How many people will want the CoD experience on the go. Will multi be viable this way?
Over WiFi, sure, but I'm really skeptical about how useful the integrated 3G will be. I'd prefer a PSP2 without 3G (if they make one available).

More expensive than competition, playing up its raw power more than the titles.
We don't know how expensive it will be yet. Admittedly, it can't be cheap though...

As for the titles, Sony spent loads of time demoing and announcing major games at the announcement.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2011, 01:41 PM

Did we want it because we wanted a tablet, or because it was Apple that was making it?
The latter, because it wasn't going to be a tablet. You seem to be ignoring that we've redefined tablet since the iPad came out.

Over WiFi, sure, but I'm really skeptical about how useful the integrated 3G will be. I'd prefer a PSP2 without 3G (if they make one available).
Like I said, I'm curious. I'm also completely out of my depth on this.

We don't know how expensive it will be yet. Admittedly, it can't be cheap though...
Do you foresee any scenario where this costs less than the 3DS? Equal?

I'd say the only way it is equal is if they decide to eat the loss, and after the PS3 I don't think they have the stomach to try that again.

As for the titles, Sony spent loads of time demoing and announcing major games at the announcement.
I'm sure they did with the PSP, too. Bottom line is it took how many years to get their biggest flagship title (GT) on to it? Have you heard that EA hasn't even bothered with the PSP2 for some inexplicable reason?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 01:51 PM

The latter, because it wasn't going to be a tablet. You seem to be ignoring that we've redefined tablet since the iPad came out.
No, actually I'm quite aware of it. The PSP2 doesn't quite change the form factor and shift mentalities quite the way the iPad did, but the powerful hardware, back-facing touchscreen, 3G (already mentioned my skepticism), online store, trophies, 5" OLED screen, and two analog sticks are definitely presenting something different. If the device (and its price) resonate with just 50% of gamers, it could still be considered a success.

Do you foresee any scenario where this costs less than the 3DS? Equal?
There's no way. $300 seems to be the price point wished for by the media, but we know how Sony has handled that in the past.

I'd say the only way it is equal is if they decide to eat the loss, and after the PS3 I don't think they have the stomach to try that again.
I would have imagined they'd leave off features like a back-facing touchscreen and 3G just to keep the hardware pricing down. I'm hoping for $300, expecting $400, and dreading $500.

$300 - I'll likely get one.
$400 - I'll consider one after a price drop (and have a better perspective on how it's going to play out).
$500 - I'll be too POed to ever buy one.

I'm sure they did with the PSP, too. Bottom line is it took how many years to get their biggest flagship title (GT) on to it? Have you heard that EA hasn't even bothered with the PSP2 for some inexplicable reason?
Yeah, I've heard about EA. They're being very coy about whether or not they'll support it at all. I will say this: if EA and FIFA/Madden aren't on it, I'm not getting one. Period. I'd consider a 3DS at that point (even if I never use the 3D functionality).

[EDIT] It seems weird that EA recently praised the PS3, and weren't in on the PSP2 announcement.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 01:57 PM

Uh oh...

Uncharted's Creators Are Not Developing Uncharted For The NGP

The most exciting piece of game footage shown off during Sony's big NGP reveal last week was of a portable Uncharted game. A game that is not being handled by the series' creators, Naughty Dog.

No, as we saw with the last PSP, the handheld versions of key franchises are being worked on by a different studio, in this case Sony Bend, the creators of Syphon Filter.

We say franchises because the NGP's Resistance game won't be developed by that series' creators, Insomniac, either. Instead, the next portable version of Sony's sci-fi shooter series will be the work of Nihilistic Software. You may never have heard of Nihilistic, but they actually began work on the ill-fated Starcraft: Ghost, and are just now putting the finishing touches on PlayStation Move title PlayStation Move Heroes.

This is nothing new for a Sony handheld. The PSP's Grand Theft Auto games were developed not by Rockstar North, but Rockstar Leeds. The PSP's God of War games were developed not by Sony Santa Monica, but Ready at Dawn. The PSP's Resistance game was developed not by Insomniac, but the afore-mentioned Bend. You get the idea. There's precedence!
The Resistance, God of War, and Syphon Filter PSP games were all well-received, but it does make me a little leery.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2011, 01:58 PM

No, actually I'm quite aware of it. The PSP2 doesn't quite change the form factor and shift mentalities quite the way the iPad did, but the powerful hardware, back-facing touchscreen, 3G (already mentioned my skepticism), online store, trophies, 5" OLED screen, and two analog sticks are definitely presenting something different. If the device (and its price) resonate with just 50% of gamers, it could still be considered a success.
Most of what you listed are complete gimmes. The one that isn't, the back touchscreen, is the one I see making a jump in the other direction in the future.

There's no way. $300 seems to be the price point wished for by the media, but we know how Sony has handled that in the past.

I would have imagined they'd leave off features like a back-facing touchscreen and 3G just to keep the hardware pricing down. I'm hoping for $300, expecting $400, and dreading $500.

$300 - I'll likely get one.
$400 - I'll consider one after a price drop (and have a better perspective on how it's going to play out).
$500 - I'll be too POed to ever buy one.
Funny, I'm expecting between $300 and $350. Any more than that is suicide.

Yeah, I've heard about EA. They're being very coy about whether or not they'll support it at all. I will say this: if EA and FIFA/Madden aren't on it, I'm not getting one. Period. I'd consider a 3DS at that point (even if I never use the 3D functionality).

[EDIT] It seems weird that EA recently praised the PS3, and weren't in on the PSP2 announcement.
I think they know the 3DS is going to sell out.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 02:06 PM

Funny, I'm expecting between $300 and $350. Any more than that is suicide.
PSP2 won't cost $599

Speaking to several journalists before the start of the company’s press event in Tokyo, the company’s Andrew House has revealed that the Sony Next Generation Playstation – aka the Sony PSP2 – will not come with a steep price tag as some has suggested. He laughed off the rumor that the NGP will be priced at $599 and stated that Sony aims to offer the NGP at an affordable price that they deem appropriate for the portable gaming space.

However, he stopped short of giving a ballpark figure. Instead, he said that the company will push for more variants of the Sony NGP – so that they cost can be pushed down. While all the models of the NGP will sport a Wi-Fi connection, the company will offer a 3G model as well.
Okay, so that answers my question about non-3G versions, but still...

Also, I'm curious as to what price Sony deems "appropriate for the portable gaming space."

I think they know the 3DS is going to sell out.
Of course they do.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2011, 02:12 PM

PSP2 won't cost $599
Yeah, congratulations on not pricing at PS3 level.

Also, I'm curious as to what price Sony deems "appropriate for the portable gaming space."
That's what makes it so scary. Arguably the 3DS has a killer feature (3D, duh) and the PSP2 really doesn't (Aside from the powah), so I don't see how you can get away with more than a $50 difference before you start pricing yourself out of the conversation. I mean, Nintendo just set the bar. That's what the market now considers appropriate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules