Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Can't install boot camp with 10.5 and win7

Can't install boot camp with 10.5 and win7
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2011, 11:14 PM

Windows 7 installed and runs fine, except for missing whatever drivers come with the windows Boot Camp package (all I need so far is sound drivers).

I put in my 10.5.1 retail cd with Boot Camp 3.0(?), but it demands XP or Vista (I only have win7). I download the Boot Camp 3.1 update, but it demands to have 3.0 installed first. I found a Boot Camp guide online that says my Leopard DVD is supposed to work. I also tried a 10.6 restore disk from another mac, but it only runs on the mac it came with (as expected).

What can I do now? I'm not going to buy 10.6 just for the boot camp driver, I prefer 10.5 anyway.

It's a Mac Mini 1.66 Core 1 Duo, OS X 10.5.8

ibook_steve
Jul 15, 2011, 02:19 AM

You can't without 10.6. It's not supported. 3.1 is only available on the Snow Leopard disk:

Boot Camp: Windows 7 installation frequently asked questions

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2011, 02:21 AM

Insert the Snow Leopard DVD which includes Boot Camp 3.0.

In the Windows 7 Start Menu Type cmd, then right-click on the program that appears and choose [/b]Run As Administrator[/b].

Then enter:

D:
cd "Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple"
msiexec /i BootCamp64.msi

or

D:
cd "Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple"
msiexec /i BootCamp32.msi

if you are running Windows 7 32bit, which I guess you are given the Mac mini model.

If that doesn't fix it… it seems that downloading the High Definition Audio codecs from Realtek and running the installer might fix the audio issues, but there are too many versions of such drivers, you might give it a try.

ibook_steve
Jul 15, 2011, 02:25 AM

He doesn't have or want Snow Leopard.

Steve

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2011, 02:52 AM

I know, but he would need the Boot Camp drivers that come with the Snow Leopard DVD. As it is not supported, I just pointed out how to run the Boot Camp drivers installer kind of bypassing the 'not allowed on this computer' message. Worked for me to install the Boot Camp 64bit drivers on my non supported Mac Pro 2006, and it worked, both with a Restore Disk from my Unibody MacBook Pro and later with the retail Snow Leopard DVD. Hope this makes sense.

ibook_steve
Jul 15, 2011, 10:45 AM

Yes, but it doesn't look like the OP is willing to even buy the disk for the drivers. Begging, borrowing, or stealing seem to be his only options.

Steve

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2011, 01:50 PM

Thanks guys

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Yes, but it doesn't look like the OP is willing to even buy the disk for the drivers. Begging, borrowing, or stealing seem to be his only options.

Steve
Yeah this is what I did, and it turns out I didn't have to out-smart the installer over not having 10.6 installed, which I guess makes sense since my win install can't even recognize that there is an HFS partition in the first place, so how would it know what Mac OS version is installed

Forum Links
Forum Rules