Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPhone Rumor...

iPhone Rumor...
-Q-
Jun 3, 2003, 04:33 PM

OK. I'm not much for rumor mongering but this has me curious:

Posted on Macintouch:
I spotted a new Mac magazine in a local newsagent today called "iCreate". The inside back page carries a full-page advert for the iPhone. To paraphrase the blurb: "Apple didn't want to re-invent the wheel, so they have used Sony-Ericcson technology and added their own styling" (which includes an iPod-style wheel, and a small silver apple logo atop). There is a web link: www.iPhone.org, which actually takes you straight to Apple's own main website (with, surprise, surprise, no mention of the phone anywhere).
The magazine is Issue 1: Issue 2 will apparently be available on the 30th. July, so I suspect this one may have been put out a little prematurely...
While extremely skeptical, can any of our UK readers confirm/deny the existance of this? And perhaps scan a copy of the alleged ad?

Much appreciated.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2003, 04:40 PM

iPhone.com has led to Apple's website for some years now -- apparently Apple is just covering their bases if they ever do decide to release something by that name (more likely an internet-telephony application than a cellphone in my mind). I'd give the story you mention about as much credence as any rumor. I mean, we don't even have a copy of it (which could still be photoshopped).

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 04:44 PM

It is registered to Apple (do a whois) but i don't know... Apple has no use for a .org domain, and every other extension is taken (not by apple). maybe they just take as many iNames as they can, or take the ones they might use for possible future products.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
OK. I'm not much for rumor mongering but this has me curious:

While extremely skeptical, can any of our UK readers confirm/deny the existance of this? And perhaps scan a copy of the alleged ad?

Much appreciated.
there are a lot of Mac UK Magazines, I am getting MacUser very soon so I'll check there.
we don't have time to stop for gas

-Q-  (op)
Jun 3, 2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
iPhone.com has led to Apple's website for some years now -- apparently Apple is just covering their bases if they ever do decide to release something by that name (more likely an internet-telephony application than a cellphone in my mind). I'd give the story you mention about as much credence as any rumor. I mean, we don't even have a copy of it (which could still be photoshopped).
Excellent point. But then there's this interview that seems to indicate Jobs' interest in the phone. No direct admission that they're building one and no different spin than any of his Macworld keynotes, but interesting timing with the two items.

So you can draw a decent conclusion that it might be a legit story but I'm still skeptical. Although a nice scan might change my mind.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2003, 04:59 PM

I still don't see the point of an "iPhone" that is just a Sony-Ericsson phone with an Apple logo on it.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2003, 05:54 PM

Bullshit, I would love to see a scan of that ad.

What could Apple do? Make it white, put a logo on it? the end.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2003, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Bullshit, I would love to see a scan of that ad.

What could Apple do? Make it white, put a logo on it? the end.
Ask and you shall receive

&

Looks like a big fat fake to me.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 4, 2003, 01:17 PM

You can read the text of the ad -- notice that it says that bluetooth is built into every Apple desktop, laptop and "even the iPod." Which is...not true.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by mbperk:
Ask and you shall receive

&

Looks like a big fat fake to me.
That's one of the worst fakes I've seen in a while. WTF is a Dock doing in a mobile phone? Pfft.

-Q-  (op)
Jun 4, 2003, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
You can read the text of the ad -- notice that it says that bluetooth is built into every Apple desktop, laptop and "even the iPod." Which is...not true.
Good eyes. And thanks to mbperk for the links! That's exactly what I needed to settle that uncertainty.

-Q-  (op)
Jun 4, 2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
That's one of the worst fakes I've seen in a while. WTF is a Dock doing in a mobile phone? Pfft.
At least they printed (or photoshopped it well enough) that it looks like it's printed on glossy magazine paper and stapled in the form of a magazine).

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 02:49 PM

All they did is take this phone, put an iPod wheel on it and change the colour. I am disapointed places like MacIntouch would fall for this:

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 03:09 PM

Readers followed up on yesterday's note about the Apple "iPhone" shown in a U.K. magazine:
[Nick Fisher] I had a thumb through of 'iCreate' at the station this morning, and saw the iPhone 'ad' that Mr Mackenzie Smith alluded to. Unfortunately it seems that he didn't read it very closely, as the page is clearly headed 'What if' and the small print at the bottom reads 'of course, the iPhone doesn't exist, we made it up' etc. It's a spoof.

[Jim Wylie] I checked the new iCreate magazine in a local newsagent (it's a new magazine aimed at new Mac OS X users - lots of articles about how to use the iLife apps). And, yes, there is indeed a very exciting full-page advert for the new Apple "iPhone" (with a very convincing product shot). But... if you look closely, there is a very small footer at the bottom of the page saying, 'of course we have made up this advert for the iPhone - but wouldn't it be great if Apple really made a great product like this....' or words to that effect.
_ So, unfortunately it's a spoof! Does look great though!
_ All the same, the www.iPhone.org URL does indeed take you to the Apple home page....!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules