Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook is on the way...2 quick questions about the Order Status

Powerbook is on the way...2 quick questions about the Order Status
Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 06:26 AM

YES! i finally ordered my 15"!! here are the specs..

PBG4 15/1.5/512/80G/SD/AP/BT/LL
Processor PowerPC G4 128MB VR
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA Drive@5400rpm
Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
Country Kit/AirPort Extreme
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
Not Applicable 065-4683
Not Applicable 065-4681

Question 1: what is with the not applicable stuff? what are they?

Question 2: does "Est. Ship" mean the day it leaves the plant or the day it gets to my house? i did 2-3 day shipping and it still says Est. Ship on or before 08/24/2004...sooo long...i have no patience
blah

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2004, 08:37 AM

That means they estimate it will leave their shipping point on or before the date stated. It does not include time in transit. Odds are decent that it'll go out before that date. I had an estimated 3-5 days on my PB when I ordered it, and it shipped later that afternoon. My Airport Express shipped 6 days ahead of its estimated ship date.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Jolt21:
YES! i finally ordered my 15"!! here are the specs..

PBG4 15/1.5/512/80G/SD/AP/BT/LL
Processor PowerPC G4 128MB VR
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA Drive@5400rpm
Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
Country Kit/AirPort Extreme
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
Not Applicable 065-4683
Not Applicable 065-4681

Question 1: what is with the not applicable stuff? what are they?

Question 2: does "Est. Ship" mean the day it leaves the plant or the day it gets to my house? i did 2-3 day shipping and it still says Est. Ship on or before 08/24/2004...sooo long...i have no patience
Q1 - i think it refers to Custom Software installs 1 & 2 - as to what they are, i have no idea

Q2 - as Chris v says, the time it'll take to the factory

Snake
Aug 17, 2004, 10:11 AM

Q1, yeah those are probably the software installs, mine came with two DVDs when it shipped to me (about 2 weeks ago).

Q2, it should actually arrive at your house before that date. I got the 2 day express shipping, which actually translated into 1 day, and it arrived a full 4 days before the date due to the weekend.

Waiting is the hardest part , but believe me when that shiney black box arrives, and you remove the white board that says "desiged in California" and first lay your eyes on your new toy, it will all be worth it.
15" 1.33ghz Al Powerbook w/1GB RAM, 64mb ATI VRAM
60GB 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 HD
20GB 4G iPod w/click wheel

Jolt21  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 10:07 AM

wow, apple was way off...my PB shipped this morning and is expected to get here before it was supposed to be shipped!

now thats what i call service...
blah

ibookmark
Aug 19, 2004, 05:18 PM

Hi all,

I ordered almost the same PB but with a combo drive last week (got a tower for DVD burning right now-can always upgrade later-have to save a buck somewhere while I am in grad school). Mine said to ship on or before the 19th and then I was later notified it shipped on the 17th. Now I have checked with the status (as I am of course obsessed with it getting here) but I am getting a weird note on Fed Ex's site. I got the standard shipping and the last note on its status was that it left on the 18th in Shanghei. Does anyone know what may be going on. It's estimated delivery date says before 10:30am 8/20! I hope this will indeed be the case as I am staying home from work tomorrow (I have an understanding boss).

Thanks for any help.
( Last edited by ibookmark; Aug 20, 2004 at 07:38 AM. )

daxdagr8t
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by ibookmark:
Hi all,

I ordered almost the same PB but with a combo drive last week (got a tower for DVD burning right now-can always upgrade later-have to save a buck somewhere while I am in grad school). My said to ship on or before the 19th and then I was later notified it shipped on the 17th. Now I have checked with the status (as I am of course obsessed with it getting here) but I am getting a weird note on Fed Ex's sight. I got the standard shipping and the last note on its status was that it left on the 18th in Shanghei. Does anyone know what may be going on. Its estimated delivery date says before 10:30am 8/20! I hope this will indeed be the case as I am staying home from work tomorrow (I have an understanding boss).

Thanks for any help.

Most likely it had arrived already and on hold, they often do that for international shipment.They'll probably release it later and by your door tomorrow.

Jolt21  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 10:17 PM

if you look, he is not an international..unless htey build it in another country?

mine says something similar:

Aug 19, 2004 10:52 AM

Picked up

SHANGHAI CN

Where is Shanghai, CN? and does picked up mean it was picked up to start delivery? i don't even have an estimated delivery date anymore...it just tells me the ship date of the 19th
blah

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Jolt21:
if you look, he is not an international..unless htey build it in another country?

mine says something similar:

Aug 19, 2004 10:52 AM

Picked up

SHANGHAI CN

Where is Shanghai, CN? and does picked up mean it was picked up to start delivery? i don't even have an estimated delivery date anymore...it just tells me the ship date of the 19th
Shanghai is in China.
iamwhor3hay

ibookmark
Aug 20, 2004, 11:12 AM

OK, after days of waiting for my status to change I see on FedEx's site that it was at the sorting facility in Anchorage AK as of 6am this morning. What is slightly annoying is that they don't specify what time zone they are saying. Now I am here in Cincinnati and since we have now surpassed the time in which it was supposed to arrive (before 10:30am) I am at a loss as to when it will come. It could be any time I guess including, much to my fears, next week. Oh well...

Buran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 11:31 PM

That's probably local time for that location. That's how flight arrival/departure times are written, anyway.

I just ordered a new PB after learning no really major updates will be out for at least a year, as of yesterday, and I literally can't wait any longer due to my current machine bogging down majorly when I try to do my typical daily photoshop work on it (for my "real job" - the university I work for buys my machines). I'd hoped a new update would be out this week, but since none was ... I ordered.

I believe my own instance of "not applicable" (searching for that part number to figure out what that meant led me to this thread) is due to my declining Final Cut Express (since we have Pro).
If you go to Za'ha'dum, you will die...

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2005, 12:04 AM

Way to bump an ancient thread. Lock please.

Buran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2005, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
Way to bump an ancient thread. Lock please.
Thank you for your insightful response. No one had answered the question, so I saw nothing wrong with answering it in case anyone came across it in the future in search like I did (wow, imagine that, people using search instead of creating a million threads on the same topic) and had the same questions.

Way to go. You've just shown how petty people on web forums can be and why I seldom spend any time on them anymore.
If you go to Za'ha'dum, you will die...

Forum Links
Forum Rules