Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac 333 ram

imac 333 ram
kick52
Baninated
Jul 15, 2005, 06:36 AM

hi, everyone.

i want to get some more ram for my imac (see signature) and i want to get 512 mb ram. does this mean i have to get one 512 chip and replace the 128 chip with it or do i need to get two 256 chips? where is the cheapest place for ram?

kick52

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2005, 10:06 AM

You'll need two 256 chips. Search ramseeker.com for the best prices. I just did this upgrade to two different computers for about $80 each. Unfourtantely, I don't remember which vendor I used. Make sure you get one "high profile" or "upper slot" and one "low profile" or "lower slot". There is a differing amount of clearance on the processor board when you put it all back together.

Val

P.S.: then join us in the 21st century and upgrade to OS 10.2 (I think that's the highest you can go on this first generation of iMac). You'll have more than enough ram after this upgrade.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by ValVashon
P.S.: then join us in the 21st century and upgrade to OS 10.2 (I think that's the highest you can go on this first generation of iMac). You'll have more than enough ram after this upgrade.
Actually, you can run 10.3.9 on it.

Dave B
Jul 15, 2005, 01:20 PM

The tray-loading iMacs (Rev a-d) use 144-pin SODIMMs of 128-bit density.
I found out the hard way that if you try using 256-bit chips, the motherboard will only see half the amount.
Virtually all of the 256MB low-profile 1 1/2" sticks are comprised of 8 individual chips of 256-bit density.
You need the special and relatively rare 16-chip SODIMM of 128-bit density.

OWC sells the 2" 256 sticks to fit the upper slot for approx. $40.00,
and the 1 1/4" low-profile sticks to fit the lower slot for approx. $50.00

I have Panther 10.3.9 running on a 233Mhz Bondi with 384 MB RAM.
It runs great, and is in fact much faster and more responsive than than Jaguar was.

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Jul 22, 2005, 02:05 PM

thanks 4 the replys, just to annoy you, ım on holıday ın turkey rıght now!!!!!! ın an ınternet cafe

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2005, 08:50 PM

I used to think all SO-DIMM PC-133 RAM are equal, so I bought the 256MB low-profile iBook RAM from the Marketplace. However, my iMac 333 only sees 128MB RAM.

BTW, I have 10.4.2 on my iMac 333 w/192MB RAM and 80GB hard drive. No problem at all.

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2005, 09:12 PM

I just added 256 of ram to my iMac 333 today. I got it at Office Depot. Made by PNY Technolgies. Along with my other 64 card ive got 320mb and its pretty happy running OSX 10.3.9. Cost me $90 for it, but it was worth it. Now if only it would read the 128 card ive got as all of it and not just 64mb.

majdadefp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2005, 06:32 PM

Question for Kenneth--did you load Tiger by requesting a CD version from Apple? How did you get Tiger on a 333?
Thanks.
I, MacMan

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Aug 21, 2005, 04:43 AM

you can download something called XPostFacto. google it. it helps install os x on unsupported systems.

krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2005, 10:53 PM

Would someone please enlighten me here. The memory specifications put out by Apple clearly state that the 333 MHz iMac holds a maximum of 256 MB of (PC100, 3.3V, 144-pin SO-DIMM) RAM.

Then it says, and I quote, "All iMac models have two memory slots. The maximum for each slot is half the total maximum. For example, a computer with a 1GB maximum can take a 512MB module in each slot."

Good enough, except that right now my 333 iMac has 288 MB RAM, the original 32 MB chip plus a 256 chip. By Apple's own admission, if one slot holds 256, the other ought to as well, bringing the total up to 512 - which is what everybody but Apple seems to think the machine will hold.

Why would Apple say it only takes 256 MB when it will clearly take more?

krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2005, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by ValVashon
Make sure you get one "high profile" or "upper slot" and one "low profile" or "lower slot". There is a differing amount of clearance on the processor board when you put it all back together.
Specifically, as the spec sheet states, "The AASP Installable slot can accommodate a 1.5-inch SO-DIMM. The User Installable slot can accommodate a 2.0-inch SO-DIMM."

BTW, anybody know what AASP means?

finboy
Aug 23, 2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by krx
Specifically, as the spec sheet states, "The AASP Installable slot can accommodate a 1.5-inch SO-DIMM. The User Installable slot can accommodate a 2.0-inch SO-DIMM."

BTW, anybody know what AASP means?
Apple-Authorized Service Provider? Just a guess.

That means you aren't supposed to take the daughtercard out and replace the RAM (when it's under warranty). After warranty, it's not that tough of a task.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2005, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by krx
Would someone please enlighten me here. The memory specifications put out by Apple clearly state that the 333 MHz iMac holds a maximum of 256 MB of (PC100, 3.3V, 144-pin SO-DIMM) RAM.

Then it says, and I quote, "All iMac models have two memory slots. The maximum for each slot is half the total maximum. For example, a computer with a 1GB maximum can take a 512MB module in each slot."

Good enough, except that right now my 333 iMac has 288 MB RAM, the original 32 MB chip plus a 256 chip. By Apple's own admission, if one slot holds 256, the other ought to as well, bringing the total up to 512 - which is what everybody but Apple seems to think the machine will hold.

Why would Apple say it only takes 256 MB when it will clearly take more?
Apple NEVER updates its docs concerning memory capacity. They never tested the machines with anything bigger than 128MB SO-DIMMs. Trust me: the iMac 333 supports 512MB total.

Truth is when Apple released the iMacs (233 to 333 models), there was no such thing as a 256MB SO-DIMM, they were very expensive, etc. A short time after, prices dropped and availablilty increased for 256MB DIMMs and someone tested them in the iMacs. The iMacs support them (but only low density as mentioned above).

The same is true for the iMac G4s with 17" or bigger displays. Those suckers support 2GB using 1GB dimms. Apple says 1GB with 512MB Dimms. Same issue.

My iMac233 is running 512MB ram and 10.3.9, but it is slow as a DOG!! All the reports about Panther being usable on a 233 are, at the very least, exaggerations, and at the worst, outright lies! I find it hardly bearable and painful to use. It's like running in waist deep water: you expend a lot of energy, but you don't really go anywhere fast.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

hughesjim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2005, 01:41 PM

Eriamjh says, "My iMac 233 is running 512MB ram and 10.3.9, but it is slow as a DOG!! All the reports about Panther being usable on a 233 are, at the very least, exaggerations, and at the worst, outright lies!" Hmm... That has me concerned.

I am helping a woman upgrade an iMac G3 333MHz (Rev.D, tray-loading CD), and I am assuming that it will be faster and more capable with an 18GB ATA HD (7200 RPM), 512MB RAM (+virtual memory under OSX), OSX 10.3.8, and DSL for Internet access. I am assuming this will work, but maybe it will just be too slow to do anything because of the main bus and processor.

The woman bought this computer for $100 from somebody and wants to run Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, as well as surf the Web, access some online media, etc. I'm not sure if this is going to work, however, and I don't want to put (her) money into it if it isn't.

Any thoughts on this? Anybody?

hughesjim

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 02:26 PM

$100 was too much. $50 would have been better.

My iMac runs great in OS9, but no version of OSX was really usable, not for long term, everyday use. Browsing, even with a broadband ethernet connection, is slow. Opening preferences was slow. My wife's G4 400 AGP was much better at the job. I guess the 100MHz bus make a bit of a difference.

And I have a 7200 RPM drive in the iMac, too.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by hughesjim
Eriamjh says, "My iMac 233 is running 512MB ram and 10.3.9, but it is slow as a DOG!! All the reports about Panther being usable on a 233 are, at the very least, exaggerations, and at the worst, outright lies!" Hmm... That has me concerned.

I am helping a woman upgrade an iMac G3 333MHz (Rev.D, tray-loading CD), and I am assuming that it will be faster and more capable with an 18GB ATA HD (7200 RPM), 512MB RAM (+virtual memory under OSX), OSX 10.3.8, and DSL for Internet access. I am assuming this will work, but maybe it will just be too slow to do anything because of the main bus and processor.

The woman bought this computer for $100 from somebody and wants to run Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, as well as surf the Web, access some online media, etc. I'm not sure if this is going to work, however, and I don't want to put (her) money into it if it isn't.
Any thoughts on this? Anybody?
Either she should stay with OS9 and OS9 versions of PS and Illu or abandon the project and get an eMac or an iMac G4.

RAM sizes: Don't bother with looking for high profile, just make sure that both modules are low profile. Those are maximum sizes stated, back in the day when low profile modules commanded a premium price. Not so any longer.

As mentioned, most modern 256'ers will not work. In the USA a good source is Data Memory Systems http://www.datamem.com

A few of the early rev. machines would not take 2 x 256, and are stuck at 1 x 128 + 1 x 256.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

yikes600
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2005, 12:06 AM

I had OS X 10.3.9 on my iMac 333 w/ 256MB and it was ubearably slow. The simplest things like browsing the web and word processing are all laggy. Even my old PowerMac G4/400 PCI ran circles around it. I advise to stick with OS 9 for the tray loading iMacs.

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Aug 30, 2005, 02:40 PM

im a bit confused about the high/low density bits...

could someone enlighten me???

Forum Links
Forum Rules