Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Might switch MacBook for iMac. Any concerns?

Might switch MacBook for iMac. Any concerns?
luisito
May 24, 2006, 11:50 PM

Hi everyone -- I'm giving some thought to exchanging my MacBook for an iMac. I like the MacBook a lot, although I'm a little disappointed that mine gets hot, moos, and whines like so many others. Ultimately, I could probably look past those issues, but I'm also thinking that I might want something with a larger screen, with a dedicated video card, and with a stand so I don't have to crane my neck downward as I look at it (I work at a computer all day, and by the time I get home, man do I have neck and back pain!).

If I make the exchange, I'll probably go with the 17" iMac (I can't financially justify the extra expense of the 20", even though it's very tempting). But I wanted to hear from regular iMac users and others first -- to know if the Intel-based iMacs have any known, recurring, or common problems that I should be concerned about. I think we've all heard stories about the common problems with the MacBook Pros, as well as the Rev A G5 iMacs. Do the current iMacs have widespread problems like heat, whine, bad logic boards, bad displays, and so on?

Also, I read in the Apple support forums (at Apple.com) that some iMac owners were having trouble with their displays (vertical lines appearing) and with waking the iMac out of sleep. Are these fairly common or isolated? Are dead pixels common?

Just thought I'd ask so I can go into an exchange with "consumer confidence." I haven't decided 100% yet if I'll go through with it, but if I don't keep my MacBook, an iMac might be ideal.

Thanks.

BikerJonTN
May 25, 2006, 03:47 AM

My 20" iMac Core Duo has given me no problems that weren't caused by my own blunder (general software issue, once).
PowerBook G4 17-inch 1GHz (March 2003)
iBook G4 12-inch 1.33GHz (July 2005)
iMac 20-inch 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo (January 2006)

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 04:10 AM

The iMac rocks so much. It is dead quiet, works beautifully, has great graphics, a nice screen, takes up little space on your disk. You simply can't go wrong.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2006, 06:02 AM

According to my recent thread everyone seems well chuffed with them, I'd go for it in your situation.

The thread is here and may be of help to you.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

luisito  (op)
May 25, 2006, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the replies, and thanks, WOPR, for the link to that other discussion -- wow. Sounds as if the iMacs are pretty good.

If any one has had persistent problems, I wouldn't mind hearing about them as well, but I also certainly wouldn't mind hearing even more praise for the iMac (would make my decision that much easier ).

luisito  (op)
May 25, 2006, 01:01 PM

Oh, one more thought (not sure how many will be able to answer this unless you've compared the 17" iMac and the 20" side by side) -- aside from screen real estate, is the 20" screen that much better than the 17"? I just checked Apple's web site, and they state the the 20" has greater contrast and brightness. I wonder if the difference is all that noticeable.

The thing that matters most to me is simply having true, balanced color, as I intend to do photo editing/manipulation (as mentioned in my original post, I can't justify the extra expense for the 20", but I wonder if I should talk myself into it).

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 02:52 AM

Both displays are absolutely beautiful. If you don't want/need the extra desktop real estate, I wouldn't hesitate to get the 17".

andrewgf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2006, 11:22 AM

The 17 is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus if you need extra screen real estate then plug an extra monitor in. Too easy.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 11:43 AM

The iMac is very nice. It's better in every way than the MacBook (I'm ignoring the glossy screen, which you may or may not consider a plus) and it has no known issues. Except, of course that it isn't portable. And that's a big issue to think about. If this is your only computer, being tied to a desktop can be inconvenient.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 11:49 AM

How is the iMac better in everyway than the MacBook? I have both, both 1.83 Ghz models, and they seem very much on par to me.

Saying the iMac is better in everyway to the MB is simply untrue: they have the exact same speed processors, the same speed RAM, both have iSights, front row, bluetooth, wireless, awesome screens. The only place the iMac IS better than the MB is graphics, and hard drive speed (and optical drive if we are talking about the base model MB)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 12:27 PM

I should have said better or equal. I am a fan of the MacBook and am not trying to bash it. What I'm trying to communicate is that the iMac has nothing that is worse than the MacBook and a lot of things that are better. It's not possible to spec out a MacBook and an iMac with exactly the same options, but comparing the base model MacBook to the base model iMac, you'll see that the iMac has:
  • A bigger, higher resolution display (17" screen instead of a 13.3" screen)
  • A bigger, faster hard drive (160GB instead of 60GB)
  • A double-layer superdrive instead of a combo drive
  • More ports (1 more USB2 and one more Firewire 400 port than the MacBook)
  • ATI Radeon X1600 graphics instead of integrated graphics (this also affects the amount of memory available to the MacBook, since integrated graphics take 80MB of system memory)
  • One 512MB stick of memory and one empty slot instead of the MacBook's two sticks of 256MB memory and no empty slot

The iMac also has no known problems with heat or other issues. Of course, the iMac is $200 more expensive and not portable (this is the main problem, as I pointed out).

luisito  (op)
May 26, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
The iMac is very nice. It's better in every way than the MacBook (I'm ignoring the glossy screen, which you may or may not consider a plus) and it has no known issues. Except, of course that it isn't portable. And that's a big issue to think about. If this is your only computer, being tied to a desktop can be inconvenient.
Yeah, that's one issue I'm weighing -- whether or not I'll miss the portability. But having the advantages of the iMac (larger hard drive, larger and higher-res screen, dedicated video card) might off-set it. And then when I get to the point where I really need a laptop, hopefully I'll have the extra cash to spring for it.

luisito  (op)
May 26, 2006, 12:36 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful replies -- I'm still thinking it over, but I am leaning towards getting the iMac.

I had one more thought/question: how is the Airport on the iMac. On the MacBook, it's stellar, and I've had no issues with connection or range.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 12:38 PM

Well, since you don't move the iMac around it's a little difficult to know how the range compares, but it seems fine.

uicandrew
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 01:09 PM

here's another pro-imac post -

ergonomics - i've mentioned this in my other posts, but i can't stress it enough. your neck is bent at an unnatural angle everytime you look at a laptop. i think a great analogy is talking to someone who is the same height as you vs. talking to a small child who is a few feet shorter than you while trying to maintain eyecontact.

the superdrive speed is huge for me - 8x on imac, 4x on macbook. people get excited about benchmark graphs when they show a 8 or 10 second improvement. the 8x superdrive cuts the time in HALF.

possible downside - the imac only has carry-in service for applecare. you can't ship the imac to get repaired.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
possible downside - the imac only has carry-in service for applecare. you can't ship the imac to get repaired.
I didn't know that. All of my Macs have been portables since I bought my first PowerMac 9600.

luisito  (op)
May 26, 2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Well, since you don't move the iMac around it's a little difficult to know how the range compares, but it seems fine.
Thank you -- that's very good to know.

luisito  (op)
May 26, 2006, 01:56 PM

here's another pro-imac post -

ergonomics - i've mentioned this in my other posts, but i can't stress it enough. your neck is bent at an unnatural angle everytime you look at a laptop. i think a great analogy is talking to someone who is the same height as you vs. talking to a small child who is a few feet shorter than you while trying to maintain eyecontact.

the superdrive speed is huge for me - 8x on imac, 4x on macbook. people get excited about benchmark graphs when they show a 8 or 10 second improvement. the 8x superdrive cuts the time in HALF.

The ergonomics is a big issue for me -- while I could use the portability of the MacBook, I'm not crazy about craning my neck down to look at it. One solution would be to prop it up on something and then attach a regular keyboard to it, but I'd have to sit pretty close to it because of the small size of the screen. And if I'm going to do that, an iMac would be better -- it would sit at eye level. My PC is a laptop, but the screen is so large (16.1", standard 4:3 -- as opposed to widescreen -- ratio) that I can look at it at eye level. It's all a trade-off though; if I go with the iMac for better ergonomics, I definitely lose the portability factor.

Does Apple really not let you ship the iMac? I wonder why that is. (Just curious -- wouldn't be an issue for me since I have an Apple store about 15 minutes away.)

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2006, 02:43 PM

That statement about AppleCare sounds like bollocks to me. Is there a link to confirm it? Why on earth would they not have them shipped back?

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

uicandrew
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by musicjunkie
The ergonomics is a big issue for me -- while I could use the portability of the MacBook, I'm not crazy about craning my neck down to look at it. One solution would be to prop it up on something and then attach a regular keyboard to it, but I'd have to sit pretty close to it because of the small size of the screen. And if I'm going to do that, an iMac would be better -- it would sit at eye level. My PC is a laptop, but the screen is so large (16.1", standard 4:3 -- as opposed to widescreen -- ratio) that I can look at it at eye level. It's all a trade-off though; if I go with the iMac for better ergonomics, I definitely lose the portability factor.

Does Apple really not let you ship the iMac? I wonder why that is. (Just curious -- wouldn't be an issue for me since I have an Apple store about 15 minutes away.)
i have a powerbook, but i use it mostly with my icurve, which puts it at a more ergonomical level, but then that defeats the purpose of the portable.

when my imac needed fixing, i asked specifically if i could send it in. and they said that there is no "mail-in service" with the mac. when i called on 2 different occasions, they directed me to the page on their website where you can search for authorized apple service provider locations. i'm guessing it is because of shipping costs. i mean, you're talking about a 30+lb imac that is much bulkier than a powerbook or imac.

after using my imac for 1 month, i tried using a laptop and it made my neck feel uncomfortable.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

luisito  (op)
May 26, 2006, 04:32 PM

when my imac needed fixing, i asked specifically if i could send it in. and they said that there is no "mail-in service" with the mac. when i called on 2 different occasions, they directed me to the page on their website where you can search for authorized apple service provider locations. i'm guessing it is because of shipping costs. i mean, you're talking about a 30+lb imac that is much bulkier than a powerbook or imac.

after using my imac for 1 month, i tried using a laptop and it made my neck feel uncomfortable.
Interesting. I had always assumed that Apple would use mail-in service for repairs. That could be a real hassle for people who don't live close to a service center.

nebulousforce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2006, 02:37 PM

I have a 20" ICD iMac totally dig it and I only slightly miss the portability of my old laptop. If you go with the 20, since I don't think this upgrade is offered on the 17 I'd recommend you spend an extra $75 bucks for twice the video ram; 128MB VS 256MB. It'll be worth it in the long run for sure. I've had no problems what so ever with the hardware but with software there are a few quirks. I believe that it could possibly be, at least partially blamed on Tiger which in my opinion, is fantastic on PPC but I feel as though it was patched to work decently on Intel hardware, or I at least hope so. Each and every software and firmware update has all but fixed the quirks I've experienced. Those quirks are nothing to worry about and I'm pretty confident that Leopard will address all of those. Ok, ok, what are they? Well, I hate to say it but I'm comparing the new iMac with an old G3 iBook SE 466MHZ Clamshell which was my last system and the main two are waking up from sleep and the menu bar is way slow to load when I compare them to the old iBook.
If you want to make your iMac semi-portable I believe that there's an excellent product out there to carry your iMac quick and easy for around a $100 bucks. It's called iLugger http://www.ilugger.com/ and from what I've read you can unplug and pack your iMac w/keyboard and mouse in about 30 sec.! It's made for those folks on the go and it's sturdy enough and designed for taking with you as airline carry on luggage. Kewl! I've toted mine a few places to show it to my friends and coworkers with the original box but if I planned on doing this regularly I think I'd look into getting one of those too. Oh check out one of these two items i360 and touchTurn, they're really cool to have and add a nice swivel base to your iMac. Me? I got the tT it was on sale for $9.95 way before I bought my iMac but I knew I was going to get one within a few months anyway. I believe that i360 is a much better built and designed swivel base but I was still saving up for the iMac so I picked up the touchTurn instead and so far it's served me just fine. I'm waiting to see if the makers of the touchTurn will come out with their slick looking MacTallic for the new iMacs. http://www.mactallic.com/

Current- iMac 20" 2.0GHZ ICD 2GB Ram 500GB HD 256MB VR OS X Tiger
Previous- iBook G3 466MHZ 576MB 60GB HD 7.2K 8MB VR(!) OS X Panther
( Last edited by nebulousforce; May 27, 2006 at 08:39 PM. )

luisito  (op)
May 27, 2006, 11:22 PM

nebulousforce -- thanks so much for your reply and for your thoughts about the iMac. I'm glad to know that your iMac has been great and that you recommend getting one. That makes me feel more confident about my potential decision to exchange my MacBook for an iMac. Thanks also for the links to those products -- the one for carrying the iMac, and especially the one for the swivel base. That's exactly what the iMac needs -- a way to turn it.

I have a question about something you mentioned. You said your iMac has an issue waking up from sleep. What is the exact problem? Does it automatically restart when it wakes up from sleep? I read online somewhere that the iMacs do this once in a while.

Thanks again for your help.

nebulousforce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 04:16 AM

I have a question about something you mentioned. You said your iMac has an issue waking up from sleep. What is the exact problem? Does it automatically restart when it wakes up from sleep?
Actually it's not as snappy as my old G3 in waking up. I mean it wakes up but not as fast and that's a bit annoying. I checked my Energy Saver settings and made sure the "Put hard disc(s) to sleep when possible" box is not checked and it's still not as fast as the old G3. I'm glad to report that I've had no crashes, no sudden restarts or problems like that. Before the last firmware update, it took quite a while for it to connect to my DSL. To me a while is over 10 sec. and sometimes I had to keep clicking on "connect" before it would finally do it. Now it's quick much quicker than the old G3 which it should be!

luisito  (op)
May 28, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by nebulousforce
Actually it's not as snappy as my old G3 in waking up. I mean it wakes up but not as fast and that's a bit annoying. I checked my Energy Saver settings and made sure the "Put hard disc(s) to sleep when possible" box is not checked and it's still not as fast as the old G3. I'm glad to report that I've had no crashes, no sudden restarts or problems like that. Before the last firmware update, it took quite a while for it to connect to my DSL. To me a while is over 10 sec. and sometimes I had to keep clicking on "connect" before it would finally do it. Now it's quick much quicker than the old G3 which it should be!
Thanks, nebulousforce. That helps a lot. A slow wake up wouldn't really be an issue for me -- I'm just more worried if iMacs have a tendency to reboot after waking up. But if it takes about 10-20 seconds, I think I'd be okay with that.

Also, I'm glad to know that latest firmware update resolved the DSL issue -- the MacBook I have now detects my DSL right away, and if I switch to the iMac I hope the iMac will do the same.

Thanks for your help.

nebulousforce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 12:51 PM

Thanks, nebulousforce. That helps a lot. A slow wake up wouldn't really be an issue for me -- I'm just more worried if iMacs have a tendency to reboot after waking up. But if it takes about 10-20 seconds, I think I'd be okay with that.

Also, I'm glad to know that latest firmware update resolved the DSL issue -- the MacBook I have now detects my DSL right away, and if I switch to the iMac I hope the iMac will do the same.

Thanks for your help.
No problemo.

unix
Jun 7, 2006, 03:17 AM

Hi,

I'm surprised no1 mentioned this, but why don't you simply invest in a good monitor? Something like a Cinema Display or the likes? Where i work, we simply plug in another monitor which is propped up according to the user's preference, which is hooked up to a laptop. That way, when you do need to work on the road, you can simply unplug it and use the portable.

We use monitor spanning, and the monitor is placed exactly above the MacBook, so it's like a huge desktop. Would solve your ergonomics problems.

Just my opinion of course..

EDIT: Sorry, forgot about your whining and mooing issues. You can go with this if you can live with those of course.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 11:49 AM

Also, I read in the Apple support forums (at Apple.com) that some iMac owners were having trouble with their displays (vertical lines appearing) and with waking the iMac out of sleep. Are these fairly common or isolated? Are dead pixels common?
Just thought I would try to address what I could from the original post. I think the issues with the vertical lines and such were limited to iMacs with the 20" display and the expanded video memory. This issue would occur in Front Row, but I don't remember if it was limited to that. Apple released a firmware update to address that issue about two weeks after the release, and any new iMac you buy now will already have it applied.

Not sure what the sleep issue is, I've never seen it on my 17". As for dead pixels, I don't have any and niether do my two friends who bought the same model iMac. Also, here on the boards a limited number of people made a big stink about dead pixels when new models of PowerBooks were released (even though it only affected very few people), but no such stink has been made about the iMac that I can tell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules